RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: VZ24 Lion Crest Purchase

Boolit Master

VZ24 Lion Crest Purchase

Finally found a VZ24 in a pawn shop in southern KY. In good shape, with a bright shiny bore. I think it is a 1939 manufacture based on the acceptance stamp on left side of receiver (see pic) but not sure as from my reading the Germans took over production in ‘38 and changed some features that this rifle does not have.

Not my first mauser, but have always admired the VZ24 rifles and have wanted to add one to the collection for some time. Price was more than fair. Just finished putting her back together as I always take these old classics completely apart and clean/oil accordingly first thing. Also found an 1895 Chilean Carbine at same pawn which is currently in pieces. Rust was having its way with it but will clean up decent, and well, someone had to rescue it! Those carbines are hard to find...

If you have any of your own VZ’s would love to see a picture or two. These are certainly well made examples of a mauser rifle.

Kev

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F47F6652-1995-41F6-9EE3-C79D4741344D.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	270284

Name:	92BA09CD-AD92-49E4-8E04-515CD5160912.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	270281

Name:	F5BC05AC-162A-4609-80B2-C805D8202A25.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	270282

Name:	1BBD2792-CE84-484C-9872-F575E84A90C0.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	270283

Name:	9A0FE868-2E50-4ABD-99A7-C5207269EC7D.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	270285
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 10-27-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added year of manuf
    的 won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Nice VZ! I converted mine to .35 Whelen. Those are wonderful actions for many different uses..... or just as a mauser.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Name:	IM004913.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	270295

Here's two of mine. I also think that the VZ-24 is a very fine rifle-- maybe the best Mauser. I have 3 or 4 more, but all of them had the lion ground off. I adopted these two to keep, reblued them, refinished the stocks, and bent the bolt handle on one of them. They shoot very well.

Boolit Master

Nice looking pair of VZ’s. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I can get to the range this year and test out cast. Honeydo list is quite long though, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post

Name:	IM004913.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	270295

Here's two of mine. I also think that the VZ-24 is a very fine rifle-- maybe the best Mauser. I have 3 or 4 more, but all of them had the lion ground off. I adopted these two to keep, reblued them, refinished the stocks, and bent the bolt handle on one of them. They shoot very well.
    的 won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy
    I just finishing putting a 1938 together that i bought with no stock, I put a richard microfit stock on it, (8 months to get) will get to shoot this weekend

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Adam20 View Post
    I just finishing putting a 1938 together that i bought with no stock, I put a richard microfit stock on it, (8 months to get) will get to shoot this weekend
    Any pictures?

Boolit Master

VZ24's

Here's the two I have. Rcvr. rings stamped differently on both.

Attachment 270392

Attachment 270393

Both good shooters. Love me some Mausers.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Back many moons ago when they were landing on shore we would buy for table bait at show but came full of cosmo and sewer pipe bores. If you have a nice prancing with a great bore, you scored, enjoy!

Boolit Master
    The factory at Brno churned out millions of VZ-24's for the international market. These were sold to governments all over the world. The VZ-24 is mechanically superior to the K98 because the treaty of Versailles limited strategic materials to Germany. While the Germans were forced to soldier on with case hardened mild steel receivers, the Czech's had access to molybdenum, vanadium, chromium, and other alloying agents. The best of the VZ-24's were reserved for the Czechoslovakian army, and these are the ones with the lion crest. When the Nazis occupied Czechoslovakia in 1938 they took possession of all of the Czech army's armaments. The Wehrmacht didn't want to incorporate the VZ-24 into it's inventory because differences in the stock and some components would have required two sets of spare parts. The Nazi's wanted to use the rifles anyway so most of the '37, '38, '39 lion crest VZ-24's were pressed into service with the Waffen SS. I've head someone say before that these rifles were made from walnut, steel & evil. I have a lion crest VZ-24 with an Israeli 7.62 NATO barrel, (hopefully balances out that evil part). It is not "restored"or in original condition. Instead I used sporterizing technology to optimize it for shooting performance, (fun at the range).Attachment 270395

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    The factory at Brno churned out millions of VZ-24's for the international market. These were sold to governments all over the world. The VZ-24 is mechanically superior to the K98 because the treaty of Versailles limited strategic materials to Germany. While the Germans were forced to soldier on with case hardened mild steel receivers, the Czech's had access to molybdenum, vanadium, chromium, and other alloying agents. The best of the VZ-24's were reserved for the Czechoslovakian army, and these are the ones with the lion crest. When the Nazis occupied Czechoslovakia in 1938 they took possession of all of the Czech army's armaments. The Wehrmacht didn't want to incorporate the VZ-24 into it's inventory because differences in the stock and some components would have required two sets of spare parts. The Nazi's wanted to use the rifles anyway so most of the '37, '38, '39 lion crest VZ-24's were pressed into service with the Waffen SS. I've head someone say before that these rifles were made from walnut, steel & evil. I have a lion crest VZ-24 with an Israeli 7.62 NATO barrel, (hopefully balances out that evil part). It is not "restored"or in original condition. Instead I used sporterizing technology to optimize it for shooting performance, (fun at the range).Attachment 270395
    Great primer there on the VZ24. Thanks for the image and the information. I am very glad not to know what this rifle may have been used to do.

Kev

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Back many moons ago when they were landing on shore we would buy for table bait at show but came full of cosmo and sewer pipe bores. If you have a nice prancing with a great bore, you scored, enjoy!
    Thanks, and indeed it does have a nice bore. Should make a fine shooter.