Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what about a short stroke Lee Classic Turret Press?

Boolit Master
    Well, I just discovered that if the press is shortened, the auto indexing function will not work. The rotation of the turret begins well before the ram approaches bottom. So the cartridge in many cases won't have cleared the die body. It might work with 9mm , 380 and 45 acp but not .357 or .44 mag. Many users report not using the auto indexing feature preferring to rotate the turret by hand. I'll have to see how I like doing it that way.

Update; I was mistaken about the auto indexing feature. Looked at it again this morning and it should work fine.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 11-02-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    A shorter stroke lessens leverage?
    When the ram approaches the die, the linkages begin to become more vertical so there is more handle movement and less ram movement. Pretty much all presses are designed this way.

Banned
    On my Lee Classic Cast both the length and angle of the handle can be adjusted. So by just adjusting the angle of the handle it can be made to bottom out when the ram is half way up. Effectively halving the length of the stroke. Wouldn't work for a progressive press but for a single stage it is fine.

Boolit Master
    I set up the Inline Fabrication case ejector this morning. Works fine. Also I was mistaken about the auto indexing not working with my intended modifications. Must have been too tired last night. Should work as intended.

Boolit Master
    Had a machinist friend all set to do the work but I could not remove the ram from the press. The long links that attach to the bottom of the press casting are pinned in such a way to defy easy removal. Just not worth the effort. What I settled on instead was to adjust the handle shorter. I am really enjoying the press and the ease in switching calibers this turret offers.

Shorten and modify the bottom part of the ram. Any machinist could probably do that in five minutes and it would be much easier than doing the shellholder part.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nvbirdman View Post
    Shorten and modify the bottom part of the ram. Any machinist could probably do that in five minutes and it would be much easier than doing the shellholder part.
    That is what I had decided on but the ram will not be removed easily, at least as far as I can tell.

Boolit Master
    Lee advise that the long link upper pivot pins are removable......firstly: one pin is drilled ,a long drift if run through the drilled pin,and used to drive out the solid pin opposite.....then ,preferably,a larger diameter drift is used through the other side (where the pin is gone) to drive out the first (hollow) pin.Both links fall loose....I wouldnt do this too many times,as the pins are only friction fitted by a bit of a knurl.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Lee advise that the long link upper pivot pins are removable......firstly: one pin is drilled ,a long drift if run through the drilled pin,and used to drive out the solid pin opposite.....then ,preferably,a larger diameter drift is used through the other side (where the pin is gone) to drive out the first (hollow) pin.Both links fall loose....I wouldnt do this too many times,as the pins are only friction fitted by a bit of a knurl.
    Found the solution here. At about 6:33. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEzO-taBuM&t=473s
    So I can go ahead with the project.

Boolit Master

I would buy a Dillon if I wanted to go faster, just IMHO. Re-designating presses nope.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I would buy a Dillon if I wanted to go faster, just IMHO. Re-designating presses nope.
    My intent was not to go faster, just to reduce the distance the lever ( and my arm ) had to travel. These things make a difference when you repeat the movement hundreds of times. I think it would be more pleasing to use with a shorter stroke.

Boolit Master
    In fact ,to shorten lever travel ,what you need is to install a travel stop to the press ram.......limit the downward travel ,so that the clearspce is only whats needed to get the round in and out.....A stop would,IMHO,take the form of a split collar ,and clamped by one or two socket screws to hold position on the ram......a cheaper fix would be to cross drill the ram for a pin to limit downward travel.

Why do any thing jest do not bring it all the way down!! I only bring it down enough to put the case and bullet it I have loaded thousand,s of round for years one year I loaded 3000 round of hand guns and rifle on that press with no trouble

Have been going to make a single station press out of a Classic turret I have so decided to shorten as well.
    Wanted a forming capability and wasn't sure the turret mechanism had the strength.
    Second top plate scheduled, post covid, for Herters shotgun dies.
    Here are pictures of current result.
    Starting to have problems from a crushed hand from auto accident and this seems to be much easier on the paw.

Attachment 272923

Attachment 272924

Attachment 272925

The original RL1050 was a short stroke press, .223 was the longest round intended for it. The Super 1050 came about because people wanted to load longer rounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12