Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what about a short stroke Lee Classic Turret Press?

Boolit Master

So what about a short stroke Lee Classic Turret Press?

For pistols and AR length cartridges? If you shortened the three risers supporting the turret head along with the top of the index rod and ram I think it would work well. You would still have that compound leverage at the top of the ram travel but you could adjust the handle so it was roughly horizontal and keep the same nearly vertical handle position while seating a primer. The press would be much less taxing to use then.

Lee could make these changes easily. Doing it at home would require removing the shell holder portion of the ram which looks to be held in place by a small roll pin. Then the top of the ram would have to be shortened and machined to accept the shell holder again. That would be somewhat challenging. We have short action rifles, why not a short action press?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    why not a short action press?
    I don't think there would be much of a market for them.

After you had one-- that cost the same as the regular ones, there'd be a lot of buyer's remorse going on
    when someone wanted to reload longer cases, and had to buy a second press.

Then, there's already plenty of people who would pass on it because they know they'll want one
    that can load long action cases and don't want to buy two presses.

For a manufacturer of anything they have a threshold of how many of something they need to make for it to be profitable,
    and for it to be a sustainable item worth keeping in production as opposed to making something else that is more profitable.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Thinking out loud here, would it be possible to get similar results by limiting the travel of the arm? Add a new part instead of modifying the ram and the bolts that support the top.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Add a new part instead of modifying the ram and the bolts that support the top.
    It might get rather involved for progressives, but for the ram on a single stage-
    some sort of adapter thing to space up or raise the shell holder might be practical.

Or, offer a longer ram that sticks up higher then the standard one.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-27-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Don’t know f it would help but Hornady make a Universal Extended Shellholder that looks like it adds an inch & 1/2 to the ram length. Actually thought about getting one myself.

Boolit Master

There was the cute little press that Lyman had with a turret. It was small and handy and just right for 45 and 38 loading . And discontinued, but you can still find them. I think some were threaded for the 7/8x14 thread.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    When the handle is nearing all the way down there is mechanical advantage with the linkages ( more handle movement, less ram movement ). This comes into play when you are sizing cases and also keeps collision between the shell holder and die light. As for people not wanting to use a different press for rifle calibers, lots of people already do that by choice. Not suggesting Lee stop making the original classic turret, only adding one aimed at pistol and AR reloaders.

You could easily do it yourself without shortening the ram but you would lose that nice feel at the top of the ram stroke. Many users report taking the indexing rod out and rotating the turret by hand and I 'd bet they do this so they don't have to lower the ram all the way to rotate the turret. There is a heck of a lot of arm movement when reloading pistol cases. Shortening that up would make a nice ergonomic improvement.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've mused about such a beast ,
    It needs to go full stroke to the cam over stop , but the full leverage of say a Partner wouldn't be needed . A simple 2/3 scale of the of the throw to get a 2" throw vs the 3.5" standard .

Lee is the only one that has an adjustable handle that would allow one to short stop the ram .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    The total throw on the handle is about 135 degrees. I'm suggesting making it closer to 90 degrees. This could be done with a redesign of the linkages I suppose but that would appear to be more complicated. I need to take a look at how the link arms attach to the bottom of the ram and what is involved with removing those. I know a machinist who could do the work so unless I think of something that I overlooked I may go ahead with it.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Re: The CCTP, you’ve got to have room to place the projectile in the case mouth. I don’t see any way around it. You can however shorten up the rod making for a shorter stroke. Depends on how much leverage loss is acceptable to you,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    That press can handle 3" cases so if I shorten everything by an inch it should be able to handle .223 which are 1.76". I did not check the 458 socom or 450 BM etc. but I'd wager it would handle those as well.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 10-28-2020 at 05:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    It seems you could make a custom rod to index and figure out a stop and possible reshape for the operating lever and possibly leave the rest of the press as is .

Boolit Master
    When I study the link plates that attach to the ram it looks as though each has a short pin pressed in and the ram has holes bored on each side to accept these pins. If that is indeed the case one could simply bore two new holes an inch above the existing ones and that would be the only work necessary on the ram.

This project looks very possible. The safety prime system should still function because it operates at the top of the ram travel. You would lose a bit of "feel" while seating primers because you would lose the compound leverage that the unmodified press has at the bottom of the ram travel.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 10-30-2020 at 03:36 AM.

Boolit Master

Haven't seen one in person but just looked on Titan Reloading. What about a block or slotted tube around either the ram or the indexing rod to limit the downward travel of the ram? That would retaing the the compound leverage at the top of the stroke.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    I like this idea. Looking at mine, I think it could be done by:

Drilling a hole in the ram and insert a bolt to serve as a stop.
    Cut the top of the indexing rod off an amount equal to the amount the ram travel is reduced.
    Bolt a piece of metal or hard plastic on the base of the press for the indexing rod to ride on. (Or weld the piece you cut off the top to the bottom.)
    Bend the press handle to make it straight up when the press is in the bottom position.

I don't prime on the press so I don't know or care how that would work.

Boolit Master
    I just mounted a Lee Saftey Prime unit on the press and discovered the riser tubes thread into the cast base at the bottom and insert into the turret head and are threaded for those bolts on top. So those pieces could be chucked up in a lathe, shortened an inch and re threaded at the bottom. The two holes 1" higher on the ram could be done nicely on a vertical mill and shortening and re threading the index rod would be a snap. A handy machinist could do all this inside an hour I'd bet. I'm going to find one!

Boolit Grand Master

So far, for me at least, the best idea is an extended shell holder. Case is closer to the dies, handle movement considerably shorter, no need to modify the press and can be easily switched back to load your 300 Magnums...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    So far, for me at least, the best idea is an extended shell holder. Case is closer to the dies, handle movement considerably shorter, no need to modify the press and can be easily switched back to load your 300 Magnums...
    You would lose the compound leverage at the top of the ram stroke then. That not only helps with sizing cases, it makes seating boolits and crimping them more precise. And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I load rifle on my Rock Chucker.

Boolit Grand Master

A shorter stroke lessens leverage?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    I agree with this assessment. I also agree that it would be nice to not have to have such a long throw to the stroke. So ...gonna look into it. Just like shortening the stroke of an engine, shorten the crank travel. The "crank" on a press is the linkage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast