Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OMG! eBay has just bumped CTD out of top price guaging site

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    The reason some charge high shipping is because Ebay charges a commission based on the items sale price. Most buyers are not concerned about shipping, only the final price for getting the item to their door.
    High shipping equals less commission and often less sales tax as well.

As far as a high selling price.............this is still the USA and people are free to ask what they want. Don't blame the seller if other bidders drive up the price.
    I used to sell on Ebay years ago. I don't know if they still do but I stopped selling on Ebay when they started charging final value fees for shipping prices. YES, they actually started charging final value fees on shipping charges. I don't know if they still do as it has been a while since I sold on ebay.

Robert

Banned

That's nothing, I check facebook market place regularly for reloading stuff. Some guy in Pflugerville, Texas is selling lead ingots for more than $5 a pound. I messaged him to ask if that was a misprint somehow and his responce was the reloading component shortage has driven prices up. LMAO, you could buy jacketed bullets cheaper.

Boolit Master
    I have enough supplies to last the rest of my life and then some because I was caught short on primers once 40 + years ago and decided it wasn't going to happen again. I have acquired quite a bit of components and ammo I don't use or have a bunch of so if I run into someone having a hard time finding ammo or supplies I often give them a box or two of one thing or another. So far this month I have given neighbors 1 1/2 boxes of 44mag, 2 1/2 boxes of 357max and a box of 30 carbine. I do feel sorry for those that are just getting into guns and reloading and enjoy helping them learn how to load and what to buy equipment wise and provide a few things to get them started. The more new folks we can get into guns the broader our power base becomes.
    If Trump wins, you better stock up heavily as shortages WILL happen again. If Biden wins, It may be too late.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    RogerDat, you could ask her what color she prefers, showing her a list of colors of PP you have? Often gets an extra point or two when people get to have input

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    It would have taken at least (2) idiots to bid it up that high.
    This one was even better:
    Lee .356 TL356-95-RF 95 Grain Double 2 Cavity Bullet Mold 9mm 380 38 Brand New
    Condition:New
    Ended:Sep 27, 2020 , 3:48PM
    Winning bid:
    US $135.00
    [ 58 bids ]
    Or 1 idiot and unscrupulous shilling.

caveat emptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy
    We all wish there were no selling fees but then most of us would likely not have a fraction of the market to sell our “stuff” if we didn’t pay someone to host these sites. I really have a pet peeve for realtor fees, but try to sell your house without the unlimited buyer market they have. A “FOR SALE” sign posted in front of your home would likely stand there a long time. Just sayin’

Sometimes we do things we don’t like.

Boolit Master

The reason e-charges on the shipping also is because people were selling 100.00 items for 5.00 with 95.00 shipping, trying to get around the fees. It is always the few greedy ones that ruin it for the rest of us.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Well, Midway USA has them in stock for $21.99. Just got an in stock alert email a few minutes ago! I ordered a 120TC...said they only had one left for $21.99. After I bought it it just says they are available now. Confusing.

Here’s the link if any one wants the same mold as the eBay seller....for $21.99.lol

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010204012?pid=366607
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-30-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    That's just crazy !! That takes price gouging to a whole new level!
    There is no price gouging.
    Buy it or look at pictures.
    We'd all be better off if people understood supply and demand.
    Plus, some folks want to over pay.
    I say let them.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Woot! Used the link and snagged the TC tumble lube design and a RN both 124 grain bullets. Were in stock so should be here early November. Picked up a Lee .356 sizer and hit the free shipping point.

I hate to say it but I am cheap I sometimes don't buy something because they only have one of the things I need so if I order it I will still have to pay shipping to get the other tool or component someplace else. In this case I had not ordered a sizer because no one had the mold and I did not want to get dinged for shipping 2x once for sizer and once for mold.

So thanks tripplebeards for the heads up. That and a waking up on the couch and deciding to hit the site before bed came together for the win.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Mine has already marked shipped. I don’t mind paying another $6 to get it here in a week vs Dec 31st.

I also would like to thank the members who reached out with offers of bullets or use of their mold. People here are A+ and make this one of the best communities on the web.

Even the cranky ones are always there if you need a hand, some advice, or a prayer. Or a link to who has it in stock.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

I will say I sometimes wonder at my sense of timing. Decided to inventory ammo on hand and re-stock the week of Sandy Hook. Finally after a few years of mulling it over (or drooling over it) deciding to buy a Lee Classic Single Stage press as the pandemic drove backorder times into months not weeks. A member sold me one at a fair price, as opposed to an eBay price and I appreciated it. Now this having to start doing 9mm for family ammo supply while the covid-19 panic is picking up steam.

I did on the flip side decide I wanted 8# each of Varget and Unique for my birthday just a bit before the Pulse Night club. So I guess sometimes my timing isn't always bad.

One thing I have figured out is these crisis prices pass. If you look for a deal or are willing to wait for one you won't pay the panic prices. If you panic (or have bad timing to go with no sense of rhythm) then you pay the panic price. Just like auctions can cause people to pay stupid prices a panic can also replace logical assessment with emotion.

I guess I figure if you are one of those people that fear shortages you need to prepare for them. Or go to eBay and make someone very happy. If you are more laid back about it and can just wait them out? Then no worries be happy.

I did talk this whole panic pricing of stuff "we might be able to spare a bit of" over with another caster and we sort of found ourselves in agreement. Selling stuff at high mark up to someone that shares our hobby would be a D-bag move. Now if selling to a scalper who is going to mark the $150 a thousand primers up to $200 at his risk.... Nope, in the in the end I guess we figured we bought it to use, can share it with people we know who need a little help getting through, can live without the profit from 5x markup. Can probably sleep better at night with those choices.

Karma may or may not exist but if it does....? And easier to explain at the pearly gates that we tried to do right by our fellow than to tell god how it was all legal and just good business. Sure he would understand our human choices, not so sure of approval of those choices. Understanding them yes, approving them, eh? I'm not going to condemn those that think differently about it, they are not alone certainly. Just seems to me our community is better for the way we help each other out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I will say I sometimes wonder at my sense of timing. Decided to inventory ammo on hand and re-stock the week of Sandy Hook. Finally after a few years of mulling it over (or drooling over it) deciding to buy a Lee Classic Single Stage press as the pandemic drove backorder times into months not weeks. A member sold me one at a fair price, as opposed to an eBay price and I appreciated it. Now this having to start doing 9mm for family ammo supply while the covid-19 panic is picking up steam.

I did on the flip side decide I wanted 8# each of Varget and Unique for my birthday just a bit before the Pulse Night club. So I guess sometimes my timing isn't always bad.

One thing I have figured out is these crisis prices pass. If you look for a deal or are willing to wait for one you won't pay the panic prices. If you panic (or have bad timing to go with no sense of rhythm) then you pay the panic price. Just like auctions can cause people to pay stupid prices a panic can also replace logical assessment with emotion.

I guess I figure if you are one of those people that fear shortages you need to prepare for them. Or go to eBay and make someone very happy. If you are more laid back about it and can just wait them out? Then no worries be happy.

I did talk this whole panic pricing of stuff "we might be able to spare a bit of" over with another caster and we sort of found ourselves in agreement. Selling stuff at high mark up to someone that shares our hobby would be a D-bag move. Now if selling to a scalper who is going to mark the $150 a thousand primers up to $200 at his risk.... Nope, in the in the end I guess we figured we bought it to use, can share it with people we know who need a little help getting through, can live without the profit from 5x markup. Can probably sleep better at night with those choices.

Karma may or may not exist but if it does....? And easier to explain at the pearly gates that we tried to do right by our fellow than to tell god how it was all legal and just good business. Sure he would understand our human choices, not so sure of approval of those choices. Understanding them yes, approving them, eh? I'm not going to condemn those that think differently about it, they are not alone certainly. Just seems to me our community is better for the way we help each other out.
    There is nothing immoral about raising prices in a panic. Higher prices ensure that the goods go where they are valued most. Selling below market price doesn't make you a nice guy, it just means someone else makes the profit instead of you. The market's version of rationing is for prices to rise. It doesn't matter what primers cost when they were plentiful, they are expensive now because they're more scarce than they were before.

Personally I always have more on hand than I need and I'm not taking this opportunity to liquidate unneeded inventory, but if you were choosing to do that, I wouldn't blame you.

You are no more justified in telling others that they must sell their primers at $30 a thousand than I am in saying you should sell me yours at that price until you're cleaned out. The reality is that you'd rather have the primers than the $30 or even $60 right now and that should tell you all you need to know about what $$$ you value them at.

I can’t claim to be lucky or smart, but even supplying a Boy Scouts mini camporee with centerfire ammo ( 45-70 in Sharps and Rolling Blocks) I’ve managed to accumulate a healthy cache for all my reloading needs, probably for my lifetime.
    I supply my brothers ranch needs as well, mainly 30-30 and .45 Colt, with some .38/357 thrown in.
    We don’t shoot as much as we’d like, or as much as we used to when we were working full time.
    What happened to those plans to Load and
    shoot more in retirement? Holy smokes! EVERYTHING soaks up my time!
    One guy needs a driveway regraded... or pecan trees cleared; another guy needs help with his bees; another needs welding work, body work, or furniture repair.
    Today I’m off to repair a foundation, a cement deck, drywall, and dragging doors for my son who just took a job in Ketchikan .
    Need to redesign the loading area to incorporate three generations of supplies and loaders too.
    Discipline to “just say no” would come in handy, but when friends are in need, I’m compelled to Lend a hand.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    it's called supply & demand capitalism...hoarders are equally to blame as the drought
    I blame idiots on the drought Hoarders the answer for all.

Boolit Master
    I never understood how anyone can claim price gouging for reloading components. If you bought a house 10 years ago and the value of it increased 30% would you sell it for what you paid for it?
    Same for silver, if you bought at $14 an ounce and the current spot price was $25 would you sell it for $14?
    I have no intention of trying to sell any components I am well stocked in. But if a friend or a relative asked me to help them out I would. If someone I didn’t know very well asked to buy some primers, powders, etc you can bet if I decided to sell it would be at the current price. And I could easily regret that if the prices climbed even higher.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    with two days till Election Day I think the big question is how long if ever will it be till things get back to normal. it may be possible on nov 4 the inflated prices people are asking for stuff could double or triple overnight.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I never understood how anyone can claim price gouging for reloading components. If you bought a house 10 years ago and the value of it increased 30% would you sell it for what you paid for it?
    Same for silver, if you bought at $14 an ounce and the current spot price was $25 would you sell it for $14?
    I have no intention of trying to sell any components I am well stocked in. But if a friend or a relative asked me to help them out I would. If someone I didn’t know very well asked to buy some primers, powders, etc you can bet if I decided to sell it would be at the current price. And I could easily regret that if the prices climbed even higher.
    Yep. And there will be no incentive to increase production capacity if the price doesn't go up. I'd be happy to spend $50 a thousand on primers if I could be sure that there'd be my choice of brand on the shelf at the store any time I went. I wish they would raise prices so the hoarding would stop and supply could catch up!

That said, I have enough primers that I will be old and gray before I ever need more.

I'm looking at how selling on gun broker site works, I know it is a hassle to ship primers but current rate for small rifle is around $150 a thousand and it is an auction so market price is in effect. I could sell a box of those and a box of pistol primers. If I net $300 and stick it with my primers until supply catches up with demand I can then purchase several boxes to replace them.

I see no reason to think that supply will not eventually catch up with demand, the market will saturate, it may take a while but eventually the 22 rim fire that was unobtainable returned to shelves. At a somewhat higher price I might note but eventually everyone who was snatching them up and stacking them in their basement had all they wanted and the situation stabilized.

Even if prices stabilize at $50 a thousand as someone suggested selling one today to gain three later seems advantageous to my long term goal.

My reluctance now is I bought so I would have enough to last me with the intention of maintaining an inventory on hand of a certain amount. Selling any drops me below that amount. I also have no experience selling on gun broker or shipping primers. Auction sites can be somewhat confusing and I am pretty sure but not certain I will have to drive 50 miles to a UPS office to open an account and show ID to be able to ship ORM-D items like primers.

Hate to make a sale and find out shipping wiped out much of the profit. Or I end up not getting the price I consider worthwhile for selling them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast