RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: WST in .45 Colt Marlin

Boolit Master

WST in .45 Colt Marlin

I lucked into 16 # of WST so use it for several guns. If you have used WST in a Marlin Cowboy what is the largest charge used. I am using a Little Dandy #13 rotor for my 250gr .45 Colt Loads but wonder just what the max load would be in the rifle. Grandson used my load to take a nice doe this year. Setting with to much time on my hands. Sorry

Boolit Grand Master

WST is a very fast burning powder similar to Bullseye and is good for pistol cartridge application as Bullseye would be. I would consider Bullseye max load data for a given bullet to be max for use with WST also. Still, I would work up the load as always.

No idea how many gr of anything the #13 rotor throws. Whatever weight it throws of any powder should be verified via a scale.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    WST replaced 452AA which was discontinued in 1991. I've used both and while these two powders are close, they are not the same with regard to charge weight vs. volume. I can tell you that 7.5 grains of either is a full charge load with 260-grain bullet at 880 fps from a 5-1/2" revolver in .45 Colt, and 1050 fps carbine, which should not be exceeded. Larry's advice to use Bullseye data as a guide is spot-on. If you want a faster/heavier rifle load you need another powder, but IMHO standard-pressure .45 Colt loads will do whatever is needed.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-27-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.