Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrosive ammo shoots better than today's ammo.

Corrosive ammo shoots better than today's ammo.

My nephew got a German Mauser from me a year ago.
    He's a crack shot hunter/shooter.
    He just informed me, that the corrosive ammo he's got shoots much better groups than uncorrosive.
    Anyone have an answer why this would be????
    Just really curious!!
    Thanks so much!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

One ammo is shooting on a 'node' or at least closer to a node than the other ammo.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Sounds like time to ladder test some handloads.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Look at it this way, Terry. A nation develops and issues the best weapon/rifle that they can design and produce at that time in history. For the Germans, it was the Mauser. The '98 Mauser was the culmination of several previous models, redesigns, and cartridges/loads. They experimented with case length, caliber, powder, and bullets. They found which rifling produced the best results with the results of these experiments, and rolled it all into one package. So it's not at all surprising that the rifle, given original ammo, will perform well. But, one must also consider that older corrosive ammo is probably no longer at it's optimum performance due to age and storage conditions, and some careful handloading can likely equal and perhaps surpass the performance of the old ammo, especially if one sticks closely to the specifications of that original ammo. Be sure to tell your nephew to clean his rifle after using the corrosive ammo with hot, soapy water or a water based cleaning solvent.

I wonder if the non- corrosive ammo that he is shooting is mild factory Remington/ Winchester with the 170 grain .321” bullets?

Boolit Master
    +1 on the underpowered, undersized American 8mm Mauser (8x57) FACTORY ammo. It is not hard to improve on American 8mm Mauser ammo. I have a bunch of very old military corrosive 8x57 . It does shoot OK, but it is easy to improve upon without special reloading techniques. Time spent with full-diameter bullets, .324/.325 cast boolits easily match the accuracy of the corrosive military ammunition. The fast twist 1-9.5 of most 8x57 must be considered for boolits. Jacketed .323 bullets can match factory '06 ammunition for velocity and accuracy, weight for weight, in sound rifles.

Thanks for the knowledge guys!
    He's in college in Montana, and currently Elk hunting now.
    I won't get a response from him, about what new ammo he's using.
    I'm curious also!
    I'll pass on this info to him!
    I know he doesnt reload.
    Thank u, again!

Got ahold of him! Here's my nephews texts!

Put many different types of ammo through it. Loves nasty turkish and romanian. Hates federal and ppu. S and b is okay but groups high and left. REALLY hates ethiopian. Good thing I bought one of those giant crates of romanian. Just gotta put water through the barrel after I shoot and give it a very thorough lube afterwards. Rifling is still pristine! Better shooter than a few scoped rifles of mine. Love it though!

Last edited by Terryrm1-03; 10-27-2020 at 04:08 PM.

There's more going on that is affecting his accuracy than just the old school primers.

There's several cases of GI issue ammo being noticeably different than its civilian counterpart.
    Like modern civilian .30-06 being hard on a M1 Garand.
    Or USGI 7.62NATO stuff being hotter than the Europeans load it to.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I wonder whether the bullet used in that ammo has something to do with it? One particular bullet shoots very well in my two-groove #4. Just a thought. If one was inclined, a few bullets could be pulled and tried in hand loads. Just a thought.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Make sure your son also cleans the bolt face with water. It’s often overlooked and will quickly go bad.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy

My Mauser is a Turkish refurb German GEWER model 98 in 8X57, made in the 1930's. The rifling is poor and looks like a sewer pipe. However, with the Turkish corrosive ammo, it shoots fine groups.

Remington 8X57 ammo is loaded pretty weak with a 170 grain jwords running around 2350 FPS. I found a box of PMC 8X57 ammo at a gun show that pushes a 170 grain spitzer much faster. I need to test it some day.

“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the tips guys! And REPLIES!

Boolit Master
    Winger Ed,
    The hottest 7.62 Nato ammo I ever shot was not US, it was Indian Ball. And some Hirtenberger was quite up there .
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master
    I would like to think that the primer has little to do with it. Any ammo, including surplus, will vary from lot to lot.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Winger Ed,
    The hottest 7.62 Nato ammo I ever shot was not US, it was Indian Ball. And some Hirtenberger was quite up there .
    beltfed/arnie
    I got a big can of German surplus NATO awhile back. It grouped OK, but hit a few inches low at 200,
    and had a comparatively light recoil.

I'd read somewhere about our allies complaining US GI 7.62 was hard on their rifles.
    For ours, it might be too, I don't know; but for us- if you trashed a rifle from shooting it, ya just turned it in and got a new one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There's more going on that is affecting his accuracy than just the old school primers.

There's several cases of GI issue ammo being noticeably different than its civilian counterpart.
    Like modern civilian .30-06 being hard on a M1 Garand.
    Or USGI 7.62NATO stuff being hotter than the Europeans load it to.
    To be fair USGI M2 Ball is usually hotter than the advertised specs because of how they took readings. The chronograph technology of the day necessitated that the be 78 feet from the muzzle hence the specification 2,740 feet per second minimum velocity, measured 78 feet from the muzzle.

Almost all of the USGI M2 ball I have chronographed has been significantly hotter than this . My goto M2 ball duplication load is 47 grains of IMR 4064 with a 144 grain FMJ BT that runs close to 2800 feet per second at the muzzle.

Modern civilian ammo is not really harder on a Garand there is a perpetuation of myth that port pressure generated by slower burning powders damages op rods , but that has really been debunked . There was a good article in the GCA about this, what actually ends up happening is that slower powders more likely cause more receiver battering as the bolt cycles.
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Boolit Master

I could be that it's the more perfectly matched powder and not the primer. But the US military match ammo did use corrosive primers after the standard ammo was changed to non-corrosive. If I remember right, with most corrosive formulas the lock time is shorter for one thing.

Plus the chemistry is much simpler with corrosive formulas, so the consistency primer to primer is better. As of a 20 years ago some of what is in a modern non-corrosive prime, it isn't known it it will work until after it is made and tested. See G. Frost's book.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Stick View Post
    My Mauser is a Turkish refurb German GEWER model 98 in 8X57, made in the 1930's. The rifling is poor and looks like a sewer pipe. However, with the Turkish corrosive ammo, it shoots fine groups.

Remington 8X57 ammo is loaded pretty weak with a 170 grain jwords running around 2350 FPS. I found a box of PMC 8X57 ammo at a gun show that pushes a 170 grain spitzer much faster. I need to test it some day.

That is a nice group. The ammo is not Turk but Yugoslavian Ss ball from 1950's.

Boolit Grand Master
    My guess is worked up hand loads will be equivalent or better.
    The Turk ammo I have kicks like a mule and has a fireball like a naval gun.
    Not to mention 6-8" high at 100 yards.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast