Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
ADvertise hereRepackboxTitan Reloading

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Zinc plating cast boolits.

  1. #1
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    The land down under.
    Posts
    32

    Zinc plating cast boolits.

    Has anyone tried zinc plating cast boolits? Did it work? Did it provide any beneficial results? What were the results?

    I have quite a bit of zinc kicking around and am considering giving it a go. Would it work as a pre plating process to copper?

    TIA Trav.

  2. #2
    Boolit Master

    Rcmaveric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,794
    Just cast some zinc bullets.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

  3. #3
    Boolit Grand Master
    bangerjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Posts
    9,259
    Yup! If you want Zn boolits just cast them, weight them, and adjust the powder load. I am working on that right now for 38SP and 45LC cals, since the weather has cooled off here in AZ! LOts of Zn out there!

    If you must "coat" your boolits with something, use the PC technology to prevent barrel leading, eliminate greasy smoke and sticky boolits and rarely ever cleaning your barrels. It REALLY works, as thousands on here will testify to.

    banger

  4. #4
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    The land down under.
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Yup! If you want Zn boolits just cast them, weight them, and adjust the powder load. I am working on that right now for 38SP and 45LC cals, since the weather has cooled off here in AZ! LOts of Zn out there!

    If you must "coat" your boolits with something, use the PC technology to prevent barrel leading, eliminate greasy smoke and sticky boolits and rarely ever cleaning your barrels. It REALLY works, as thousands on here will testify to.

    banger
    Thanks but that doesn’t answer my question.

    I am looking at plating for a reason and pc doesn’t give the solution to what I am trying to achieve.

  5. #5
    Boolit Grand Master
    bangerjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Posts
    9,259
    Explain exactly WHAT you are "trying to achieve." That would help us answer your query rather than us stabbing in the dark with suggestions.......

    banger

  6. #6
    Boolit Master

    Rcmaveric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,794
    Plated bullets can't be pushed that much harder from my understanding. That plating is thinner than gilding.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

  7. #7
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    The land down under.
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Explain exactly WHAT you are "trying to achieve." That would help us answer your query rather than us stabbing in the dark with suggestions.......

    banger
    Not asking anyone to stab at anything in the dark, I think that the question was fairly specific. Asking if anyone had done it and what resulting effects that they had found.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master

    Rcmaveric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,794
    I dont think any of us have. Plating isn't really attempted due to its high technical skill and dangers with little return. Specially now that PC has proved so easy and with great results.

    I know some have electro plated with copper. I tried searching for electro plating lead with zinc. Found info on electro plating but nothing specific.

    I say give it a whirl, document it and let's see what happens.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Farmerville,Louisiana
    Posts
    887
    I would also be interested in a process of zinc plating a boolit. Another way of coating or putting on a jacket, is like getting another tool in your reloading room. Don’t be closed minded about this, took a while for a lot of folks to get on board with powder coating.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master

    Rcmaveric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,794
    Same from what I read its the same way copper plate things. A zinc solution, zinc anode and clip the cathode to a matel tray of bullets. Then circuitulate solution and agitate bullets for good coverage. That's a very specific over simplification.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

  11. #11
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    The land down under.
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Same from what I read its the same way copper plate things. A zinc solution, zinc anode and clip the cathode to a matel tray of bullets. Then circuitulate solution and agitate bullets for good coverage. That's a very specific over simplification.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    Pretty much.

  12. #12
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    205
    Brought to you by the same people that sell powder coating too

    https://www.eastwood.com/ew-electrop...8aAt3CEALw_wcB

    ebay even sells them

    -Mod note: ebay links are disallowed here so link removed-

    and a how-to video

    https://www.google.com/search?client...D0tAWln66wDw13

    But the question everyone wants to ask - - - - -WHY. Lead doesn't rust.
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 10-29-2020 at 05:20 AM.

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Behind the lines in Commiefornia
    Posts
    673
    You could always use a zinc-lead alloy.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtravoz View Post
    Thanks but that doesn’t answer my question.

    I am looking at plating for a reason and pc doesn’t give the solution to what I am trying to achieve.
    Why don't you do it ? Somebody has to be first. Perhaps you will come up with something that will be a paradigm shift in cast bullets.
    Then you can say "I did that!"

    Sounds interesting but I have no inclination.
    I hope you do it and it works!
    Good Luck!

  15. #15
    Boolit Master
    NoZombies's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    N. Florida
    Posts
    2,463
    I tried and couldn't get any adhesion. So I did some research and found that the lead creates a chlorate barrier in the solution that the zinc can't adhere to, and inhibits the process.

    When I had a really good copper plate on the bullets first, I was able to get adhesion, but it did literally nothing more than adding work and expense to the process for me, and I abandoned the project quickly.

    There are probably ways of doing it that would work, (different solutions/methods/etc.) but I don't know how much investment would be involved, and I didn't think it was worth finding out for my own purposes.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

    Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

  16. #16
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    The land down under.
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I tried and couldn't get any adhesion. So I did some research and found that the lead creates a chlorate barrier in the solution that the zinc can't adhere to, and inhibits the process.

    When I had a really good copper plate on the bullets first, I was able to get adhesion, but it did literally nothing more than adding work and expense to the process for me, and I abandoned the project quickly.

    There are probably ways of doing it that would work, (different solutions/methods/etc.) but I don't know how much investment would be involved, and I didn't think it was worth finding out for my own purposes.
    Thanks. That’s the answer I was looking for. I had a feeling that it might be the case.

  17. #17
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    The land down under.
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I would also be interested in a process of zinc plating a boolit. Another way of coating or putting on a jacket, is like getting another tool in your reloading room. Don’t be closed minded about this, took a while for a lot of folks to get on board with powder coating.
    Speer makes some very good bullets by plating. I am interested in plating to see if I can create a boolit with variable density/hardness and possibly give a more controlled expansion with a harder “jacket” so to speak to help hold it together when it hits a deer. There are also a couple of other reasons I want to try it also but that’s one of the primaries.

  18. #18
    Boolit Master

    Rcmaveric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    You could always use a zinc-lead alloy.
    I play with zinc/copper lead alloys..... its not for the faint of heart and yall can call me a heathen for it. Copper makes tough bullets so I hope zinc does also. Lol I have no way to definitely prove it thougj.

    Lead only alloys with a single digit though of zinc [I want to say around 3%] then then the excess floats on top. I can tell you at 1% your not casting good bullets... you can start casting usable bullets .33% with a 50% rejection rate. At around .15% I could cast consistent good bullets. It was easy though.

    I cant prove it helped anything but if copper is grain refiner and both are the same size atom then it should work then same.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check