Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cast Bullets in a Hell Cat

Boolit Mold

Cast Bullets in a Hell Cat

Thinking of buying a springfield armory Hell Cat 9mm. I've heard that cast bullets should not be used in some handguns like glocks ect. Anyone have a hellcat, and use cast bullets? Hate to buy it and find out you can only use jacketed bullets. Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    I don’t know about the Hellcat but you can certainly shoot cast in Glocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you listen to the manufactures, reloads shouldn't be used in any firearm. That would encompass cast bullets as well. Yeah, right. I have no issues shooting cast in a SA XD Model 2 in 9 mm. If I purchased their Hellcat, I would do the same. I currently have half dozen nines, all from different manufactures. Shoot cast in all of them, all the time.

Winelover

Don’t know about the Hellcat either.

BUT: multiple Glocks, Barrettas, and XDs have shot my cast with no issues. You have to do your part in making the bullets to fit your gun.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    My eldest son purchased a Hellcat a month or so back, no weird rifling, only the too fast twist rate applied to most 9mm barrels. We are shooting the Lee tl 124 rn bullet and the RD 357 135 RF bullet Michael designed without issue. After a few magazines of the RD bullet sized and lubed there was a small amount of wash in the barrel. A magazine full of the Lee bullet powder coated cleaned it right up.

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot some cast pc 124g bullets in my Hellcat, no issues at all. need to refine the load a bit, accuracy was ok, but not as good as the berry plated.
    Barry

Boolit Master

Dont let that rumor spread ! all my handguns over the past 50+ years just love cast bullets reguardless of caliber or rifleing type .

Boolit Bub
    The problem with the hellcats is the tight throat. All my 9mm pistols all use lee 358-125-RF but the hellcat will not chamber these no matter how short the oal or sizing down. Got out my old lee 356-120-TC and cast up a bunch. Chambers and shoots great sized to .357 with a slightly shorter oal. Smaller bullets loaded and keyholes.

Boolit Buddy
    I am using the miha 135 rf powder coated sized with a lee 358 sizer come out at .357.75 no problems, shoot great.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by takasaki View Post
    The problem with the hellcats is the tight throat. All my 9mm pistols all use lee 358-125-RF but the hellcat will not chamber these no matter how short the oal or sizing down. Got out my old lee 356-120-TC and cast up a bunch. Chambers and shoots great sized to .357 with a slightly shorter oal. Smaller bullets loaded and keyholes.
    Thanks for that - I thought I was going out of my mind.
    I compared my boolits 10 ways from Sunday and I've concluded it's the "rounder" ogive on the Lee 125-RF.
    As you say I've shot through every other 9mm and I did something stupid - I assumed teh Hellcat would love them.
    Took me 10 full minutes of finagling to get the jam cleared.
    Now I need to find a mold that will shoot.

It ain't the gun, it's the stupid lee boolit. I sold mine off as it wouldn't chamber in most of my guns, except glock and RIA 1911s that have really open oversized chambers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I recently picked up a Hellcat and put 100 rounds of my MP 124 grain cast loads through it. They were accurate and reliable with no signs of leading. They were powder coated with Eastwood’s powder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40592D07-4925-4658-9535-BD20EA869CB2.jpeg  

Boolit Master
    Yep, why Lee chose the profile they did for round nose baffles me. It has probably caused more problems than all the other designs combined.

Boolit Buddy
    I did a review on the hell cat RDP for handgunner magazine and Springfield ended up giving it to us I have shot over 5k through it with the MP 130-359 for PC and it shoots excellent with 3.8 bullseye

31-135s works fine in all the 9s I used including XDs9. Don't understand why anybody loads a RN anymore.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I run the Lee 120 TC in two Ruger SR9s and a PCC. Shoots well. If the concern is about polygonal rifling- I have a USP 45 that loves both the Lee 252 SWC and 230 TC. It gets a little leading after a box or two. Half a dozen strokes with a brush with Choreboy and it's clean as a whistle. That 252 SWC (260gr RTL) is a flying sledgehammer.

Kleanbore 1, Welcome! I own a Hellcat RDP and it LOVES the 105gr. hardcast lino PC at 1.013" OVCL Lee SWC with Bullseye, VV310,VV320, PB, 231, Red Dot, and TiteGroup. Give it try and have a great day! Fireball
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Master
    I've been running a 140gr truncated cone at .357 in a Springfield XDm, XDm compact, S&W Shield and a SAR B6P with good results. In my hands the lighter bullets hit too low, 8" or so at 25 yards, 140gr and 147gr hit on the sights.