RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Slug VS Lead Shot Data.....28ga Slug Development

Boolit Mold

Slug VS Lead Shot Data.....28ga Slug Development

Hey folks,

I'm working on some 28ga slugs and thought I'd come over to the experts on this for a couple of questions. I'm working on a couple of 28ga slugs that I got molds for. Slug data for the 28 is nonexistent as far as I can see. I see where lots of folks are taking data from listed lead bird shot and transferring that to slug data (assuming a similar type wad is used) in other gauges.

I've done that with with the 28 and I'm getting very similar velocity/pressures on one of my slugs but not on the second.

The big difference is a roll crimp. I'd assume that the roll crimp will provide less pressure and velocity.

At any rate. I have loaded some test shells and shot them over a chronograph. They seem up to speed except the lower velocity.

I think I know the answer to this question, but the slugs are designed for smooth bore and have thin bands I assume to squish if shooting through choked barrels. My question is lead hardness. I've come to the conclusion that it needs to be pretty soft as to not hurt the choke tube/barrel. The lead I'm pouring is scrap yard sheet plumbers lead. I have no way of testing but with fingernail and I can cut a pretty good groove in it with my fingernail. With that being said I have shot some test shots and they where through a cylinder bore tube and I see no issue as of yet.

This is one of the slugs I'm working on and have gotten good velocity from it. Averaging 1600fps and decent accuracy at 25yds with bead sight. No signs of pressure and just under listed velocity of similar lead shot data. It weighs in at 326gns with screw and wad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screwslugcomponents3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	270243
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screwsluggroup2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	270244

Banned
    Good morning Bullet225ho, looking good and if you are getting 1600fps with your load thats great. I personally do not have 28 gauge. I am sure our other friends are wondering what is the powder and charge that you are using with it.
    I would use it for hunting deer up to 35 to even 40 yards with that load.
    Keep it up and best of luck.
    Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 10-27-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Master

Nice job and welcome! If you would shoot a deer with a heavy loaded .44 mag your 28 ga will do the job at your stated velocity and weight. NOt gonna argue with a chrony but the 1600 fps seems a little fast for standard lead shot loads.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Greetings here is a treat for 28 ga slug shooters. Please read it and see if it helps you any way.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Sabot!/page42
    Best of luck.
    Ajay

Boolit Buddy
    The BPI Slug Manual has data for the 28g utilizing 7/8 oz light game slug. Most of the loads shown are running 1650-1950 fps.
    Cargo

Banned
    Greetings Cargo, can you please post those loads for our friends with 28 ga guns wanting to load.
    In the past we use to laugh at BPI loads saying they dream of those loads and offer them. Not too many people know about that !
    I was not suppose to reweal it !
    Thank any way.
    Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    PS: If BPI did not dream of those numbers then you would not buy their loading data.
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 10-28-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Boolit Mold
    The data for the 3/4oz slug is data that is published by BP Advantages manual Load # 90820-1202A

Fiocchi hull, Fio616 primer, Lil Gun, 35gns, SG28-II wad (calls for a OS card which I'm not using) 328gn of lead shot. Listed as 10600 psi and 1630 fps.

My loading is a bid different as I'm using a Cheddite hull (slightly smaller in volume) Cheddite 1000 primers (supposedly less hot than 616) same powder. Using a brush wad (much more cushion than SG28-II) and roll crimp.

Now, I'm well aware of the optimism of BP loads. I've been into the 28ga reloading game for a few years and have successfully loaded and had tested (safe) 2 3/4" loads of 3/4oz steel in Fiocchi hulls. 1oz duplex of steel and Tungsten 18gcc shot. Also the never heard of AA-HS in 1oz of lead shot. I developed and have a tested safe load of that at 1200fps.

So I take what BP has published with a grain of salt and also compare it to other published loads.

With that being said I feel that this particular load is below 12500psi. I was just curious as to the comparisons that others have gotten with other gauges when loading slugs with lead data.
    Last edited by bullet225ho; 10-27-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    The BPI Slug Manual has data for the 28g utilizing 7/8 oz light game slug. Most of the loads shown are running 1650-1950 fps.
    I would love to see that data as I have a 7/8oz slug mold that I'm also working up. I have loaded a ramp up and shot and I didn't get the velocity that I expected......so It would be great to see the data as a comparison.

I used data with SG28-II wad and 30gn of LilGun Of course I also had some nitro cards to take up volume and a roll crimp. I only got around 1100fps with that load and was expecting more in the 1350 range.

The 7/8oz slug is what I call a dumbell slug. It did fly straight (no tumbling) I was going to get this 3/4oz screw slug dialed in first and then work on the 7/8oz slug....but the data would be great non the less.