Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone re-barreled a Marlin .30-30 to .38-55

Quote Originally Posted by .45Cole View Post
    FYI - the 336 cowboy also came in 30-30 and they bring in less than the 1200 tag on the 38-55's. I'd buy a 30-30 and bore to 38-55 so you have your own chamber/bore diameters. I actually have a 30-30 barrel with JES now.
    .45Cole was me plan but might be easier to do the Encore...for me.
    Always leave area better then when there...
    Congress is the enemy
    "Welcome to our world called Earth, Where the greatest cause of death is birth." Jack Lucas, Winona, MN.

Boolit Master

I have replaced a Marlin 336 30/30 to with a Marlin 375 barrel. My Nephew has killed several deer and 1 bear with it. He has also shot at least 4-500 rounds of cast. He is still using the original brass he bought when we re-barreled the gun.

Twenty years ago Numeric arms had many of the Marlin barrels. I still have a few of them in 9mm, 45/70.

Watch out for marlin chambers, they tend to run on the generous side.

Apparently, the best way to ship rifle to JES is to remove wood and magazine...but how do they test rifle, no stock and magazine etc.
    Always leave area better then when there...
    Congress is the enemy
    "Welcome to our world called Earth, Where the greatest cause of death is birth." Jack Lucas, Winona, MN.

Boolit Grand Master

You put leather gloves on your hands, go outside and touch it off.
    His job is the barrel.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiochuck View Post
    I no longer use the USPS for mailing gun parts. in late summer, 2020, received a 1960's Marlin 39 A-DL with beautiful wood and squirrel engraved in the wood stock . When we opened the box at my FFL, we found the stock broken in 2 places at the wrist. The box had been dropped/crushed. My FFL dealer mailed it back to the senders FFL. For 3 weeks the PO could not tell us where it was, even with priority mail tracking.
    When it was finally delivered to the FFL, there was no notice of it being delivered.
    MY suggestion- choose carefully.
    Jim
    Unfortunately all mail services have their issues. 40 years of shipping expensive stuff is to ship Fedex or UPS overnight. If you use USPS the best service is registered mail. Takes literally forever (3~4 weeks typically) but the package is put in a safe at every step and the signed for, going in and going out.

Boolit Buddy
    For those that had this done, was it worth it? I own a 336 in 30-30 and might have it sent to JES to be bored out to .375 Winchester.
    Could it also shoot the 38-55, is the 3 groove rifleing accurate with cast bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by Midohhntr View Post
    For those that had this done, was it worth it? I own a 336 in 30-30 and might have it sent to JES to be bored out to .375 Winchester.
    Could it also shoot the 38-55, is the 3 groove rifleing accurate with cast bullets?
    My 94 Winchester/JES .38-55 3 groove shoots cast just fine. I will not shoot .375 Winchester level loads in it. That's why they made the Big Bore action. I don't know if Marlin beefed the. 336 up internally for the. 375 but they didn't make them very long.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

The current 1895 marlin and 336 are all the lineage of the old 1893 safety. I think it's strong but I'd go 38/55 and shoot mid loads.

Boolit Master

My 3 groove JES barrel shoots the Lee 250 grain plain base great. I load it to about 1350fps with 4227 and dacron. Ditto on the 375 reply. Mine started life as a Win '94 30/30 tho.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe I will have my 336c done, I spoke with JES today on the phone and thinking of rebore to 38-55. It will be a good one for the grandkids to move up to. If I need more power than that I'll shoot the 45/70.

Boolit Master
    my marlin 336's in 30-30 and 35 rem look exactly the same as the marlin 375 win. seem to be same dimensions when overlaid or side by side. I'm pretty sure both the 444 and 45-70 use the 1895 frame and are stronger than 336.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    My 3 groove JES barrel shoots the Lee 250 grain plain base great. I load it to about 1350fps with 4227 and dacron. Ditto on the 375 reply. Mine started life as a Win '94 30/30 tho.
    May I ask what do you size your cast bullet to? Was thinking of using the same mold.

Had a Marlin 30AS rebored to 356 Winchester by JES. Fast, fair and great work. I love it !

Boolit Master

I have rebarreled quite a few Marlins over the years. Most round barrels run about $500 depending on the barrel blank I use. My own 93 is in 38-55, a rebore I did when I built my rifling machine. The 38-55 is loaded to black powder pressures, quite a bit lower than the 30-30. Marlin barrel are a little bit more than Winchester barrels to fit to an action because of an extension at the top of the barrel and square threads.

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    I threaded and profiles a 38-55 barrel, It wasnt as easy as a AR-15 barrel but not super difficult

Boolit Buddy
    Very interested in this.

Just inherited an early 80s Glenfield 30A.

Been in the family since new so I'm going to hang on to it.

I'd like to hunt with it but live in IA so can't with it as a 30-30.

Have read the great reviews on JES, will definitely call them.

Are there any other companies that bore/rebarrel 336s or are they it?

Boolit Master
    JES is good and reasonable.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't doubt it for a second just curious if they are the only company that does this.

JES is not the only outfit that rebores, but I doubt you will find anyone that does a better job as fast and as reasonable as Jesse. Many gunsmiths will rebarrel also, but it will be much more expensive than a rebore. That said, depending on what you are starting with and what you want to change it to, a rebarrel may be the only option.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast