Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Steak You Ever Ate

Best I've ever had was one I cooked myself over fire. I'm getting decent at cooking over fire, let it go to coals before adding the meat. I have a cast iron grate from a fancy outdoor grill I use. Dried apple wood from wild apples, or just scraps will work. I like mine well done, just a touch of crisp at the edges. No steak sauce if it's good.

Boolit Master

The Embassy Club in Seoul Korea 1976. Kitchen run by a French Chef.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Bazoo beat me to it!

Mine is done on an old furnace grate over hot coals from mountain wood at our cow/hunting camp in the mountains!

I swear old shoe leather heated up would taste good up in the hills, good food is just that much better!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My buddy Jorge bought a pile of porterhouses for deer camp .

We were late getting out of town due to a train wreck of last minute changes missed breakfast we were going to eat on the way out of town . The little heart attack burger shack on the way to 50 miles out in the sticks 95 miles from home was closed too . We set camp and made an afternoon hunt just to feel things and our extra party's nephew took a big mulie doe about an hour before dark . Now somehow I missed the grab a snack bag part of the load and I had worked about 5-6 little draws and spring piles as I was just along to bird dog and chase some chucker and grouse . After the nephew shot the deer Jorge took my shotgun jacket etc and I went down in the canyon . Mind you I really hadn't eaten since dinner the night before and run 5 miles or so at 7500-9000 ft . About 500 yd down and 150 over to the well hit but not deceased and finished it . Installed the "zipper" and started up the hill about 30° and 250 yd to the truck . The first 100 were a breeze but 50 yd later I crashed , put her down to catch my wind and recover some . I got back and figured I was good to go . I shouldered up the 150-175# of trips dressed head and hide and went another 50 yd ...... Long story short Jorge and the nephew hauled it the last 50 yd and I collapsed . I guess I burned every speck of sugar in the system in about 30 minutes I got a pop choked down and myself up to the truck . We got the field care covered had some dinner and hit the racks . Breakfast was quick and I carb loaded and sugared up we hunted all morning but my enthusiasm was somewhat less than it had been . About noon we packed it in to go back in for lunch . We were well out of the area we expected to find deer and the king of the mountain popped up out of the creek bottom . 2 hr later we had him in the truck all 227# dry score 234-6/8 field dress . By 4:00 and well into the long shadows we were cleaned up and I was feeling almost human again . We got a good fire going the nephew rolled some taters in foil . Stuffed the taters in the coals and put those steaks on the grill with just garlic and pepper , sage , cedar , and dry pinion both in the fire and the air , some salt after the turn . Yeah buddy .

I don't know if it was best steak ever but it was most assuredly a top 10 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

The first ribeye and strip steaks I had from the first Hereford I raised from a calve . The marble on that meat was what dreams were made of
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Minturn Yacht Club in Minturn CO not sure it is still there. It was one of those places where you picked the meat out if the cold case, sold only USDA prime aged beef and you paid separate for the sides. Their T-bone was to die for.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

My best was from earliest memories of steak in the early 60's to 1977, last year we raised feeder cattle. Every fall we put in between 160 and 190 head of yearlings. ~700 lbs. Mostly white faced Herefords. Fed them out to ~1300 on ground ear corn and alfalfa. What my dad called hard finishing. No grass or silage fed around here.

For a number of years all our cattle was delivered directly to one of the better packing houses in Detroit, they specialize in the high end restaurant trade. When the load was delivered, they called the stockyards and got a quote on the highest price load that day and paid dad a penny a pound over that. Highest price plus no commission. A penny a pound doesn't sound like much today, but when fed cattle were less than a quarter a pound a penny was a lot. Plus no commission.

Experimented with some Angus, never impressed with the gain or the meat. Dad always went back to Herefords.

That was the best beef I've ever had, been in some high dollar steak houses since then--Morton's in Chicago, high buck place in LA that I can't remember the name of that wasn't worth walking across the street to, plus a couple of others, none of them could compare.

With out the high protein ration and feed them heavier you just don't get the marbling and the flavor.

The stuff today is healthier for you, but I'd love one of those bone-in ribeye steaks I got growing up.

Just don't miss the baling hay or grinding feed, we ground all our own feed. 400-500 bushels every Tuesday and Saturday from early October until early June. Rain, snow, sleet it didn't matter you were out grinding feed. Then clean the barns out.

Makes my back ache just thinking about it. And the eyes water just thinking about all that ammonia while cleaning out the barns.

My wifes parents give her "Beef Bucks" every Christmas, she hoards them a bit.

One day some 5 years ago she walked into our local Cash Wise Grocery store butcher section.
    Said I want a whole rack of Prime rib steaks. Guy behind the counter drug it out, sealed in thick plastic bag.
    Had 2 120$ stickers on it, ie 240$. He kind of looks at her, she hands him 240$ in beef bucks and says I'll take it.

I got a look at it, left it out on the porch overnight so it was not "Quite" frozen, just very stiff.

Cut the plastic off, sharpened my Rapala Fillet knife, the big one. After thinking a bit laid a fork on the top, made a little slice, moved the fork, sliced again. Each of those slices was between one inch and an eighth and an inch and a quarter apart.

And I proceeded to slice and vacumn bag each steak as it came off.

Seven minutes on the first side under the Nat Gas broiler, 6.5 to 7 on the other side. Hot, tasty, tender, pink center, awesomeness.
    We made them last 3 years.

Once cooked I would take the outer ring of fattier beef and leave her with the leaner eye which was still more than she could eat most nights. Pure fat chunks got slipped to my little dog along with burnt parts.

Hard to find good steaks now days, most butchers don't age long enough to get truly tender over 1" steaks.
    But it can be done.

FYI only thing I put on mine is a little sprinkle of Adoph's meat tenderizer and garlic before it hits the broiler.
    After just a touch of salt. I like to taste the BEEF!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    There are 2 that come to mind, the first was way back in late 1983 I have forgotten most of the specific details, I was working for an air compressor company supplying the oil industry down in Louisiana, we had just finished a trade show in the SuperDome and the Boss took us all down the road to a hole in the wall restaurant, the entrance was a narrow hallway with a bar of one side and about 6ft over a stairway. The place was packed to the gills and seating was by groups. When we made it upstairs seating was long benches seating about 12 per side and the room was huge. Of course being near the French Qtr the names of the steaks on the menu were expressed in Cajun from petit on up. The biggest seemed to be about the size of a hubcap and had one of those if you can eat it all type award deals. The remainder of the menu was quite simple baked of fried potatoes and water, coke or beer for drinks. No sauces, rubs or dressings other than salt and pepper. I picked a midsize and when it arrived and though a real knife was provided it was fork cut the whole way. I finished it and was stuffed and a happy camper.

The second came courtesy of some ARAMCO workers and their families in Saudi Arabia just before the 1st Gulf War. We were set up behind a Truck Stop off the main Highway servicing vehicles around Thanksgiving (different story there) as we were not with the Main Body of our unit we were more or less missed when the ARAMCO folks made the rounds visiting the various units. One small group on their way home saw us when they stopped for gas. They had some leftovers, the steaks were cold, a bit tough and greasy, but the best we had ever had as they did not come out of a green thermal vat or a brown wrapper.

725, flat iron steaks are made from top blade muscle in the chuck. We use to call them feather steaks when I was first learning how to cut meat. To make them you split the top blade where the seam is in the middle. Clean up the outside and you have two flat iron steaks.

Boolit Buddy
    McBrides, Wichita Falls, Texas. Hard to beat.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the best steaks I ever had was right after the big power outage at work a few years ago. when the plant went down the casting machines pots were all full. Almost everyone was sent home. those asked to stay suited up in the green suits. With ladles and 55 gallon drums we emptied all the machines pots. It was a hot summer night and even hotter in die cast. Bottled water was free or the taking. We were working 1/2 hour on and 45 mins off in crews. 2 guys were kept over separate and when we were about 1/2-3/4 done the plant manager came in with ice chests of steaks potatoes beer and soda. Those 2 fired up the grill and started in.m Just after that last ladle full went into the drum. we were sitting out side at the tables cooling down the PM came out with several coolers f beer A shortly after that the steaks and baked potatoes. Wasnt anything really special as a meal. But the Thank-you and show of appreciation it conveyed were.

Boolit Grand Master
    Saltgrass steakhouse. Ordered a rib-eye steak. Didn't need a knife to cut it, just used my fork. Tenderest steak I have ever had and had a good flavor.

Boolit Master

I've had a few, and I mean a few good ones at restaurants. Best are those cooked at my place to my specs. Cooked right, served right, best you can have, all I can say.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I like steaks but I'd just as soon have a good burger.
    If Biden wins it will probably be all I can afford anyway, if that.
    Good thing I have simple tastes.

The Metropolitan Grill in Seattle WA. Best day I ever had with the ex wife. Had a porterhouse that was out of this world. Bout two inches thick and fork cut tender. It was amazing. But I really can't say for sure if that 200 dollar meal was better than my first backstrap steak from my archery killed bull elk. My uncle bbqed that thing up after all day cutting up elk. Was quite a treat...
    Last edited by adcoch1; 10-26-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

My favorite steak is a ribeye seared medium rare by me in an iron skillet from a steer that grew up here. As far as restaurants go, I'd say Ruth's Chris in downtown Fort Worth is great but costly, Saltgrass has always done me well, and as mentioned above; Mcbride's in Witchita Falls is great- but their thick cut smoked pork chops were heaven sent- but I'm drifting....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

22 ounce porter house at a place called the Water Mark on NC coastline sad to say he retired sold the place and the new guy could not cook a hamburger that was any good. Now the best steak I get is cooked on the grill in the backyard.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Hilltop Steakhouse in Boston long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Bub
    Riley's bar and grill in Iola Kansas. or the cattlemen's club in battle mountain Nevada. Both had a good ribeye twenty or so years ago. If you asked for rare at the cattlemen's club you better want Rare . In my memory those two were close to perfect, but It may have had more to do with those particular days being over'

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast