RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Steak You Ever Ate

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Best Steak You Ever Ate

What’s the best steak you ever ate? Is there one that stands out in your life?

For me it was a porterhouse, in a little place outside Madison South Dakota called the Moonlight, around twenty-five years ago. I was passing through and stopped to see an old friend who lived there. He knew I always loved a good steak and said I had to try one of their’s. It was the best I’ve ever had. I made a point of stopping there, if I was anywhere around after that. They always had the same quality. It wasn’t that I was particularly hungry or anything else. Just the best quality and cooked just right.

Anyone else have special steak memory?

Banned
    I have a bunch of good memories of excellent steak dinners. Often my experience was slightly biased due to a difficult day leading up to the meal. There's just something about a good steak after a long day. It just tastes better.

One was in Portland, Maine, on a rainy night after a long day.

The smaller steaks are almost always better than the huge ones. Properly aged beef is key. I avoid the chains whenever possible. Sometimes a well known chain restaurant is the only game in town but when I have a choice, I try to find some place a little more local.

Boolit Master

The Butcher Shop in Knoxville, Tenn was the BEST
    I miss it
    Mike

http://archive.knoxnews.com/business...58471061.html/
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Best I had was in a restaurant in the pyramid in Vegas, second best was in 5D Steak House in Avinger, TX.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Steak au poive at a restaurant that’s long gone. It was the first date with my wife 30 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

The ones I cook at home on the ole Weber. Just hard to beat.

A good Brazilian steak house meal is always a treat when traveling for work and I can get sales to foot the bill lol

Boolit Grand Master
    Best steak I ever had at a restaurant was at the Golden Ox in the west bottoms of Kansas City. It finally closed its doors a few years ago, but they knew how to cook a steak.

I was raised with homegrown beef, our own calf and a half of a steer from Grandpa every year. To this day it is awfully hard for me to order a steak and be satisfied with it at most restaurants.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had many and my waistline is the proof, but my best/favorite is an economy cut known as a "flatiron". I'm not even sure what part of the cow it is, but cooked rare over the BBQ, and it melts in your mouth with a fabulous flavor. Cook it well done and you might as well nail it to a door as a knocker. Rare, .......... oh, my, my, my.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What’s the best steak you ever ate? Is there one that stands out in your life?

For me it was a porterhouse, in a little place outside Madison South Dakota called the Moonlight, around twenty-five years ago. I was passing through and stopped to see an old friend who lived there. He knew I always loved a good steak and said I had to try one of their’s. It was the best I’ve ever had. I made a point of stopping there, if I was anywhere around after that. They always had the same quality. It wasn’t that I was particularly hungry or anything else. Just the best quality and cooked just right.

Anyone else have special steak memory?
    Funny, best steak I ever had was at a little place in S.D. as well, seems to me it was just outside of Mitchell. Maybe the same place?

There used to be a bunch of Bonanza steak houses that were opened all over by Dan Blocker (Hoss Cartwright).

There's only a few left, but the one in our old neighborhood had some of the best steaks I've ever had.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

The best I have experienced is one at Charlie's Steakhouse in Oak Grove KY. When I got stationed here at Ft Campbell, I would always see people lining up around the building on a certain day (Wednesday I think), a smallish place really but not run-down looking. Took awhile to find out that, that was the day the beef would arrive and that is when the locals would come in for one. Took the wife there and bought one, because that thing was larger than the plate it was served on, and it wasn't a small plate. The place had history since the 1950's, but since 2000 when I got here, it had accidently been hit by a vehicle (one of our guys) and in 2012 it finally burned down never to be rebuilt...well, almost as the family had another restaurant in Springfield TN, which now serves the same steaks, but when I found that place and got a steak, it just wasn't the same, almost, but not as good.

Charlie's Steakhouse Burns Down
    Torino's Greek and Italian Restaurant
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    "Peter Luger Steakhouse", New York City
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve always been of the opinion that more tender the cut of meat, the less taste it had. I won’t order a fillet minion if it was the cheapest thing thing on the menu. Not much taste. Maybe that’s why they are often served under all kinds of sauces. A good sirloin is hard to beat. Now I don’t want anyone to think I don’t love to eat all the other cuts too.

Boolit Grand Master

Does prime rib count? There is a truck stop in Clearwater, MN that has the best prime rib I've ever had. Absolute perfection.

Banned

In July of 1981 I was in Atlantic Beach, NC with my dad a few months after my mom died. He made some delmonico steaks and some local jumbo shrimp on a grill that were the size of lobster tails! I still talk about that surf and turf meal!

Boolit Buddy
    I have been lucky to travel alot of places and the beef that is available in north America is unparalleled. Almost every area has a place that does a good steak, from a high end restaurant to the local bar. Our small town bar does a great sirloin on the weekend that is fabulous. The experience of the western steak house is one to enjoy. I was in The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo a few years back , didn't order the 72 oz but might be fun to try if I didn't eat for a day before. Its free if eaten in one hour, including fixings. I will say one of the best steaks I ever had was in a trip to NYC. I dont remember the place but it was right across from the radio city music hall. If I ever have a chance to go back I will track it down. Last December I was at a conference in Omaha and a group of us went on a guided steak house tour to several of the classic steak houses near the stock yards and such.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Was raised on prime Black Angus beef my whole life back in Iowa. The folks always had a ½ Angus calf processed for our freezer. We used to go out the the friend's ranch every year and pick it out on the hoof!

The 14 ounce rib-eye now siting in front of me is the best ever! I have gotten away from wood grilling/smoke (BBQ'ing) cooking prime cuts of beef (only pork and catfish now, and simple ground beef hamburgers) and now grill them inside on the stove in a sizzling hot pan the way 5 star restaurants do. I let the meat come to full room temp on my special black thawing plates. Then rub the meat thoroughly and completely with a special concoction of dry rubs I have perfected over the years. Once the pan it at 350 (digital electric induction cook-top) I gently place the meat in and sear it on one side then the other. After that, I turn the temp down to 260 and cook using a probe digital thermometer until at 105F internally. Remove and let rest for at least 10 minutes (longer if extra thick) as the meat continues to cook and reach 120 internally. A perfect seared crusty medium rare cut of prime beef I would hold up against any steak house in the country! I learned this from two 5 star chefs at my son's work.

In 3 days the new steak I prepare the same way will be even better than this one, so the marker is always moving!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Best restaurant steak in recent memory was at the Chop House in down town Grand Rapids, Mi. Their known for their Cowboy steak but their Filet is amazing. They are very pricey though so we only go on my wife or my birthday where they run a special, show a valid license with the birthday being that day and they cut the cost in half (if a two top, cut out a third of three top, etc so that essentially birthday meal is free). Awesome way to incentivize eating there.

At home I’m very partial to the local Meijer butcher shop which has told us they are known as the best butcher in the chain and they frequently sell very nice tenderloins for $6/lb. Cooked on my old PK charcoal grill.

Boolit Buddy
    when I was in the navy we went to Australia. A few of us got a rental a car to go see the crocodile hunters zoo. We stopped at a small place, it was only thing there in the middle of no where and got the best steak I have ever had. I have never had another that compares.

Boolit Master

At the old family farmhouse across the street many times . Black Angus steak cooked to perfection by my Granny !
    Almost as good were the canned steak and gravy she put up and sent me while in college.
    Y'all done made me hungry again...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast