MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Steak You Ever Ate

Boolit Master

The best steak I ever had was back in 1995 or 1996 at a little bar somewhere between Anchorage and Fairbanks (closer to Fairbanks). I have no idea what the place was called. It was served with a baked potato they cooked in a microwave.

Boolit Master

Double LL Steakhouse in Visalia, Ca has fantastic prime bone in ribeyes & tomahawks! They cook them over oak & serve them on a buttered sizzling platter!

Actually, I had a whole bunch of them. In 1987 I bought 30 acres in the Oregon Coast Range Mountains. The folks that we bought it from were of the hippy persuasion, and when we did a walk through and walk about of the property the husband was grilling a steak over an open fire. There was just a ring of rocks like perhaps in a campground, and the guy had a refrigerator shelf over the rocks for a grate. It looked and smelled great. Well, we bought it, and then not too long after that I decided to see if the fellow's technique would work for me. I grilled two bone-in rib steaks over oak wood, and the Mrs. and I loved it. Although I had been (and still am) a user of the Weber Kettle, this beat it hands down. The nearest town had a supermarket that seemed to be one of a kind, not part of a big chain, and they always had good meat. Many Fridays I stopped on the way home from work and picked up a couple of their bone-in rib steaks. This was in the late '80s and early '90s, and they ran about $4.65 at the time. Never a disappointment. Then I had a distant relative stop by on his way home to Canada from a Mexican vacation, and he introduced me to Montreal Steak Seasoning. A bit of that made it even better. My brother has an amazingly good marinade, but that's a once-in-awhile thing.

Boolit Buddy
    The most memorable steak I ever ate was when I was about 9,or 10,and we were visiting my Uncle Butch and he fixed steak. He liked his really rare,and I wanted mine rare too. It was the first time I ever had meat that wasn't cooked dry. My Mother was always a good cook,but she always over cooked beef. I remember eating Mother's steak, and liking the flavor, but I just barely even swallow it. I would just chew it like a big chaw of tobacco. I still fix my steak as rare as I can ,and still get the center good,and warm.

Boolit Master

Back in the 70's there was a little steak house in the country south of Ponca City, OK called the Ranch. The owner raised all is own beef. Best steaks I have ever eaten. He had a friendly fat Lab the got to eat a lot of the meat also.

Boolit Grand Master

My Grandfather on my Mothers side cut meat for 50 something years. I've never seen meat for sale that would equal what he brought home. No matter who cooked it, my Grandmother, my Mother or my Wife or me, I've never had anything better.

But restaurant wise a few come to mine. Monte's Chop House in Tulsa Ok, Jeff Ruby's in Nashville, Sir Loin's Inn in North Little Rock, Taylor's in Dumas Ar are a few that come to mine. All of those were expensive and some of them are no longer open.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jj850 View Post
    Riley's bar and grill in Iola Kansas. or the cattlemen's club in battle mountain Nevada. Both had a good ribeye twenty or so years ago. If you asked for rare at the cattlemen's club you better want Rare . In my memory those two were close to perfect, but It may have had more to do with those particular days being over'
    I would have to 2nd the Cattlemens Club in in Battle Mountain used to serve one fine steak!!
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many, many, many years ago, we had a real Kobe steak house here.
    Was a little expensive, and kind of small, but it just melted in your mouth.
    These days you can't find a place that doesn't overcook a steak.
    gooberment rules here.
    So the best steak now is costco rib eye cooked at home over the grill.

Boolit Buddy
    If I had to choose it would be the NY Strip from Seven Stars Inn, Pottstown PA. Very memorable. Almost 2 lbs as I recall and done to perfection. (easier to hit perfection @ 2" thick) I highly recommend the restaurant.

I've had good steaks from a number of restaurants, but I almost never order one anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like a good steak. But I can usually do better over charcoal in the back yard with a steak of my choosing from a trusted butcher. Also, I ate too many meals in restaurants working customer sites all over the country. Restaurants are now more tolerated than enjoyed.

Backstrap from a mature white tail doe. Salt free meat tenderize, garlic, fresh ground black pepper, wrapped in bacon cooked over lump hardwood charcoal.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    Notice how most of these memories have more to do with:
    Where you were
    What you were doing
    &
    Who you were with ....than the actual meal ?

Boolit Master
    Ribeye and tenderloin from a young cow elk, medium rare, sauteed in butter in black iron frying pan.

Moderator Emeritus

In or about 1974 I ate often at La' Forchetta in Mar Del Plata, Argentina. Best steaks I ever came across. I have had some good Montana beef since then and had a great steak in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina. I have also had some great cowboy fondue, t-bone on a pitchfork in hot oil in a milk can, but those in the mid 70's rank on top. Dinner was usually about $1.50 US and I was sure to tip at least that much.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    The best beef steak I ever had was in a restaurant in Caliente, Nevada. We haven't been through here since and I don't know if it is still there. The beef was Nevada range fed beef. It was a little tough because the steer had to work for a living but the flavor was out of this world. I used to raise bison and killed my share of elk but that beef was better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    The best beef steak I ever had was in a restaurant in Caliente, Nevada. We haven't been through here since and I don't know if it is still there. The beef was Nevada range fed beef. It was a little tough because the steer had to work for a living but the flavor was out of this world. I used to raise bison and killed my share of elk but that beef was better.

I've had a lot of good Mex cooking in Calinete; but don't remember ever even seeing a Steak in the Cafe's there. Next trip in the area I'll LookSee what they have (but the community is shrinking).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Ribeye and tenderloin from a young cow elk, medium rare, sauteed in butter in black iron frying pan.
    I remember at about 15yo my first bull elk steak, man it was good. A good bear medium rare is hard to beat though.

If y'all want a good beef, Click's Steakhouse in Pawnee, OK.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Gotta cold smoke that rib eye first than sear it shut! I use old worm wood from the woods flora.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master

Mormon Lake Lodge Steakhouse about 30min from Flagstaff, AZ
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Best at home... I slow smoke them and then pull them onto a 600-650 degree grill for a slight sear. They other great option is sear the hot and fast and leave the center about 75-80 degrees. We always raised beef, for good beef now I go the the country butcher shop up the road and never get anything less than 1.75 inches thick. I have to butterfly the wifes, she will not eat blue rare.

Boolit Master
    Perini Ranch in Abilene, Texas

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast