MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Make a Stock Duplicator !!

Boolit Buddy

How to Make a Stock Duplicator !!

Would like to make my own for lever win. & clones,, doe's any one have a used ( home made ok ) one gathering dust or taking up space ,, so cheap it will make me cry ( no seriously ),, not wanting to go into business . PM me if any interest .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Referencing;

"Taking up space",and probably in the,more than you want to know category.

As the owner of a pro cabinet/furniture shop for 40+ years..... the first time a guy uses a pro Striebig or Holzher XY panel saw,and they get there jaw closed from slamming on the floor. It quickly becomes apparent that running sheet goods across,even the best(Martin) of the big sliding TS's is an excersize in frustration.

Won't debate the issue,as most folks think TS's are God's gift to wood production. A cpl of the high points are, "taking up space", and gravity. Both of which apply to "typical" stock duplicators. Think slant bed turning centers in metal equipment. It's a space AND chip thing.

So look at any duplicator design with an eye on,how can this thing be turned vertical,and either bolted to a wall.... saving VALUABLE floor space. Or in some fashion be "part of" an existing vertical support system. Nothing personal but,if you're asking about these then more than likely you aren't sitting on a big dust collection system. This is one more benny of going "vert".... the chips fall down away from machine into a line.... vs a horizontally oriented machine that spreads the waste out over a football field.

Good luck with your project.

Boolit Master

Mr Brooks from the Colorado School of Trades designed a simple one and it may come up if you google it.
    I just googled it and the Practical Machinist site has information on it!

Boolit Master

I put mine on wheels. Trying to do it in the shop...NO Like the planer. It is a a messy project at best. Wish mine had chrome rails
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Buddy
    Hey dave ,, did you buy or build yours ? I have been watching some videos on how to ,, I just want to make " ONE " butt stock for a 1876 win. ( Chaparral ) that I have been rebuilding , made the forearm by hand ( loooooong process ) have plenty of black walnut .

Boolit Master
    not about a duplicator but I saw an awesome video on youtube by scotty of scotties gun works making a stock and repair others that were very informative as to how to cut and shape a block of wood into a stock

Boolit Master
    I'm one of those guys that can't cut a straight line no matter what he's using. Have an old Rockwell bench saw. 10" blade and found out at least for me the more teeth the blade has the easier and straighter the cut will be and all I use anymore are carbide blades. Was doing some shopping for a 12" contractor table saw. Delta has no support mechanism in place for parts or repairs. Dewalt has problems I prefer not to deal with. In either case many who bought the Delta had to bring it back and either get another brand or store credit. I'd like a big cabinet saw but can't swing the $$$$. So will use a 8" circular saw and clamp the wood using big C clamps. And possibly a ripping guide. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

Because of my back and such I can't really bend over to cut a straight line. Was extremely frustrating. I purchased a Makita SP6000J1 6-1/2 In. Plunge Circular Saw Kit, with Stackable Tool Case and 55 In. Guide Rail with the extension. Works a lot easier on my back and my lines are straight. Get the proper clamps if you go that route. Yea I still managed to clip the rail once or twice because I couldn't stay bent over but so far it has worked great. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Mine is going to have shorter stainless rails before i use it. I know what you are talking about.

Boolit Buddy
    Well guys ,, decided to build a ( sort of ) stock duplicator !!! , any of you wood workers know what the " round end " cutter they are using in the video's is ( are ) called ,, they look like 1/2 " wide ( I have a 3/4 hp. B&D w/ 5/16" shank ,, don't know nut'n bout no routers .
    Any help ,, advice , appreciated.

Boolit Master

What videos? Sounds like a core box bit.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey , ulav8r ,, there are " lots " of videos of folks using a stock duplicator ( different types ) ,, " but " no one talks about the type of cutters they are using .

Just type in " gun stock duplicators " ,, lots of videos.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Well guys ,, decided to build a ( sort of ) stock duplicator !!! , any of you wood workers know what the " round end " cutter they are using in the video's is ( are ) called ,, they look like 1/2 " wide ( I have a 3/4 hp. B&D w/ 5/16" shank ,, don't know nut'n bout no routers .
    Any help ,, advice , appreciated.

do you have a vertical mill ? can use it for a lot of woodwork just a PITA cleaning up after .
    one of those ball end carbide cutters is ideal for making the magazine tube channel in the fore end .

Boolit Buddy
    Yes sir joe,, have one , used a junk piece of Blk. Walnut to experi-ment with the mill ???, if you saw this stock ,, you'd know why I need a duplicator !!!!ha-ha-hah-ha . I have the fore arm made and finished ,, turned out really nice ( surprised myself ). Not sure how many of the cutters ( or what sizes ) i'll need ,,,, yet .

Boolit Master

When Hootmix mentioned "the Videos" I figured he was thinking of specific videos so I could check the cutters. Core box bits are round nose router bits that come in a variety of sizes. They will work if you are able to make an accurate copy to use as a follower against the pattern.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Yes sir joe,, have one , used a junk piece of Blk. Walnut to experi-ment with the mill ???, if you saw this stock ,, you'd know why I need a duplicator !!!!ha-ha-hah-ha . I have the fore arm made and finished ,, turned out really nice ( surprised myself ). Not sure how many of the cutters ( or what sizes ) i'll need ,,,, yet .

I havent done much (four sets maybe over the years - plus a couple muzzleloaders - but they had the barrel channel cut) I found the forend for a winchester more difficult than the buttstock (before I got the mill/drill)

I would use an end mill to inlet the tangs while the wood was still a plank (with square sides for setup) -- once you got the action fitted up nice - fit the buttplate to suit your reach etc - then just hack, cut, grind away what dont belong - theres a winchester buttstock hiding in there someplace . Getting decent wood has been my problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Joe , I did just as you described and milled the tang inlets first , then " hacked ,, sawed,, & started sanding & sanding ,,, and sanding , ( need a duplicator ) . Some of my shoot'n buddies think I have a lot of patience because I make about 70% of my own gun parts ,,I really don't ,,, just hard headed ,, and by having a cup of coffee and visiting w/ folks here on " how to " I " Get'r done ". As I said I pick a junk piece of wood to practice on ,but I do have a beautiful piece of Blk. Walnut ( hidden away ) and you are right " square the block " FIRST ",,, lesson learned.

All for one stock? Seems like the building of the duplicator will be 10 times the project that making a stock from scratch would be?

How about you find someone with a stock duplicator and have them make you a blank you could finish. When I don't have a tool, I either rent one, borrow one, or farm out the work to someone who does have the equipment.

Makes sense huh?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Hey W.R. ,, i'm retired ,, ( I was tired yesterday and i'm tired today = retired ),, actually it's not about the " money ",, just still trying to learn,, ( I won't be 76 till April of next year ) something new & diff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast