Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Make a Stock Duplicator !!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    All for one stock? Seems like the building of the duplicator will be 10 times the project that making a stock from scratch would be?

How about you find someone with a stock duplicator and have them make you a blank you could finish. When I don't have a tool, I either rent one, borrow one, or farm out the work to someone who does have the equipment.

Makes sense huh?

Randy
    yeah but we dont do this stuff cuz it makes sense ........? do we ?

Boolit Buddy
    Stay with me ,, I.J. ,, ( ha-ha-ha-ha- )

coffee's on me ,, Hootmix. ( raised a cup to y'a )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1345.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	271835

Doing 2 now.. Got some in walnut Will go to shop and give you some photosClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1350 (2).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	271836
    Last edited by dave 45-90; 11-21-2020 at 09:35 PM. Reason: duplicate
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Buddy
    Great !,, any and all tips will be appreciated ,, life has got in the way ( again ,, wife , eye surgery ),, be back at it in a couple more days .
    A " picture is worth a thousand words " ,, beautiful wood in the top photo !!!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Great !,, any and all tips will be appreciated ,, life has got in the way ( again ,, wife , eye surgery ),, be back at it in a couple more days .
    A " picture is worth a thousand words " ,, beautiful wood in the top photo !!!!

Lead musket ball in forearm piece. Will cut and add maple to give forend some character. Can't see inside the 3" thick blanks I get. Better than AP bullets. That will make the router bit sing. Ran into some old time cut nails in one piece. Lord knows what they hung on that tree.
    NRA Endowment

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Well guys ,, decided to build a ( sort of ) stock duplicator !!! , any of you wood workers know what the " round end " cutter they are using in the video's is ( are ) called ,, they look like 1/2 " wide ( I have a 3/4 hp. B&D w/ 5/16" shank ,, don't know nut'n bout no routers .
    Any help ,, advice , appreciated.

I can give you the numbers of the carbide bits you need. I use a 1.25 HP palm router. 1/4 inch pilot. You will find that using the router at about 1/2 speed is best. Also use a shop vac at he router head for chips and dust. Setup is critical
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Master
    As a retired Cabinet Maker myself I am drooling over that piece of wood above. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    yeah but we dont do this stuff cuz it makes sense ........? do we ?
    You have a point there. Probably need a gimme cap to cover it.

Hoot; I understand the concept,,, I've been building my Jeep from scratch for 15 years.

I'm currently working on the Rear Bumper, and getting close to the end of this project. I started it when I was 55!

The only Jeep part on the car is the grill. The rest I built.

But,,,, why don't you learn how to make the stock from scratch instead of learning how to build a machine you're only going to use once. I think the stock would be more challenging?

I have a very close friend who has started so many projects he'll never finish them. But since he's never finished any project that is no big deal, and just the way he spends his time. I've known him for 40 years and he is your age. I'd love to see him drive or ride just one of the many cars or motorcycles he's started building in his shop. He does nice work too. He just loses interest before he ever gets the Car or Motorcycle to the point where he could ride it. He recently sold all his Vintage Harley Stuff including a Flathead 45 he bought that was running. Never rode it.

Anyway everyone has their own way of doing stuff. Time Marches on.

Randy

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-22-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    W.R.,, I " did " make a stock & forearm from scratch ,, fore arm came out really nice ,, stock ( so-so ) but I built the stock to use as a pattern ( need my stocks @ 14 1/2 - 14 3/4 " LOP ) ,, just finished making the butt plate , have 5 rds. loaded , just waiting for the back sight to get here. I really thought I could find a " not used anymore " duplicator ( cheap ) ,, so just building one ,, it's never been about the money ,, for me,, and I like your " JEEP ", classy!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12