WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Hepburn set trigger

Boolit Mold

Hepburn set trigger

Which way should i turn the adjustment screw to increase or decrease the pull pressure on my Hepburn

Boolit Master
    I am interested too. I have not dared to adjust mine because it is so nice the way it is and I know nothing about it.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Vendor Sponsor

I believe right is light.
    That is, IN is lighter. OUT is heaver.
    It has been years since I have adjusted any of mine, I could be wrong.
    Chill Wills

Clockwise will make the pull lighter (screwing it in) Counter clockwise will make it heavier. If you screw it in too far the trigger wont set. If that happens try backing out 1/4 turn at a time until they set, then they're good to go again.
    Remember, you don't have to cock the hammer to test trigger pull. Just try the triggers with the hammer down.

Boolit Master
    Light is right, I will remember that. Like righty tighty lefty loosy. I am not touching my trigger because whoever set it set just the way I like it.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Mold
    The best i can get is a 10 ounce trigger pull. I think i must have sear problems. OPINION ?

Quote Originally Posted by coaldigger View Post
    The best i can get is a 10 ounce trigger pull. I think i must have sear problems. OPINION ?
    No, because a set trigger weight isn't affected by the sear. If it isn't light enough I'd guess the set triggers are gummed up, and should be cleaned up thoroughly. I'd not take them apart if you're not comfortable doing so. But if you feel comfortable taking the lower tang off the gun you can clean them up pretty well with cleaners and a tooth brush and then use a lightweight oil on the triggers. You can probably even just pull the buttstock, and do some cleaning with a spray cleaner, and lightweight oil that way too. Just not as good as dropping the tang out of the gun to get at it better.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by coaldigger View Post
    Double sets on a Hepburn basically pre-load the sear. The sear in a Hepburn is very (very very) wide. Does your rifle safely operate every time, when adjusted to the heaver settings? Does it safely trip using the front trigger only (un-set). If so, with out the benefit of seeing it, I would say the sear is good and should not be messed with. If your set screw does not allow the the sear to be pushed all the way off (a zero setting) it would if it was longer. SO, the screw is a few thousands short or the shoulder on the screw head / lower trigger frame slightly interfere. That is addressable in a few ways. Likely the 10 oz trigger pull on your rifle was not considered a problem 135 years ago by Remington. Maybe anything lighter was out of the range they thought safe?????

I think I would be more than happy with a crisp 10 OZ trigger, but we are all different. Best of luck on what ever you choose to do.
    Chill Wills

The sear pivots on the same pin as the trip trigger, so if that pin is dirty, or crudded up, then the trigger might not ever feel light enough. If you can turn the screw in and eventually make the triggers inoperable, then there's enough thread on the set trigger screw. If you can't turn it fully in and cause this inoperable situation, then Chill is correct that the screw is too short.

Boolit Mold
    I was thinking 10 oz (set) is too light but that is the max (set) i can get. Front trigger (unset) is 8 lbs

Vendor Sponsor

This question caused me to check the setting on this rifle.

As the set screw is turned in (right) you can watch the front trigger move rearward. It lightens the pull and takes out any creep. As you turn in to the right, there is a fine point at which the trigger can't be set. Back it off a 1/4 turn and it is good. Somewhere between the 1/4 turn off and the "it doesn't set at all" point, is all the adjustment this rifle has for a light creepless trigger. I admit, that does not allow much wiggle room, 1/4 turn, to get it the way you like. I do not have a trigger pull measure so I can not say what the weight is. The trigger is great on mine so I have never tried for any more adjustment on this rifle. I will check out my other set-trigger Hepburn at some point and see if it is the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resizedHepburnTriggerDSCN2296.jpg  
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 10-27-2020 at 09:57 PM.
    Chill Wills

I personally like a set triggers as light as possible. If I have to sneak my finger into the triggerguard to not accidentally trip the trigger, then it's perfect for me! I don't want to be putting anymore pressure on the trigger when it's on target than I have to. If it goes off touching it with a feather, that's fine too.
    Some friends who've shot my old set trigger guns have complained the trigger surprised them. But after the first surprise it usually works fine for them.