RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Large bore cannon powder

Boolit Man

Large bore cannon powder

Hi im trying to find a source for large bore cannon powder. I cant find any super slow
    Or similar powder. Im trying to help a buddy of mine out that has a 37mm at gun. Hope someone can help me thanks

Boolit Master

Firing blanks or projectiles?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4FC528F-7045-4996-A8CD-B8BF72855D8A.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	270183This is 1 lb of 1-F in 3” anti-tank gun.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Man
    Firing projectiles he was looking for smokeless

Boolit Bub
    smokeless powder is not like black powder. the more pressure during initial ignition makes smokeless powder burn faster then open air. using for that size of canon could be bad, now Black powder for example a .44cal Pietta is advised for 28grn bp and works good and is relatively safe, and can be used consistently. now a 44spl recommends no more then 7 grns smokeless powder. so I figured great-- use 4x less smokeless as black... great idea. tried it on a pietta. first shot ok, second shot, ok, 3rd shot it blew apart. there went 250.00. whoo hoo did some more math... figured out for a cva v2/lr/ 6x less smokeless then bp -- great idea, second shot blew it apart there went 700+dollars. now both these things worked great with black powder and would have for years, but they were designed for black powder which has a compete different burn rate then the smokeless. you can buy commercially available black powder from Goex made fpor cannons

Boolit Man
    This gun is from ww2 the 37 mm anti tank gun used smokeless back in the war they didnt have only but a little bp to boost flame during ignition. The main charge was 4ounces of large grained smokeless powder. Thats what he is after.

Boolit Master

So, this is his gun?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9DC99E4B-E224-4421-B74F-211959D6B382.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	270203I’ll call/ email my friend that has this and many more that he shoots and see what he uses. He has D.D. ,mfg and class 3/6 license. He’s “ close “ to Dept. of defense contractors so he may have inside sources?
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Dont know if it would work for you,, but Gibrass (aka bartlett reloaders) has a few different flavors of pull down powder from 20mm & 50cal.

When I was hunting single 'F' black powder for the bowling ball mortar, I found it on line,
    but had to order it in 5 pound increments for about $20 a pound + HazMat fees.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    That be the one if you could please contact your friend that be awesome! Thanks then jus pm me back once you find out what he says.

Boolit Master
    Go on you tube and type in reloading 37mm cases. Saw this last night. Used a reduced load of 105mm cannon smokeless powder. Big single stage reloading press to resize the case, punch out and reload the spent primer aka 50 bmg and reinstall the reloaded priming assembly and seat the projectile. Funny story, there was this place that had stored huge amounts of 105mm cannon powder and they had a fire. OK fire is out and they found tons of powder in bags. Original company had a contract to dispose of the powder but for some reason didn't. So they actually had to build a furnace to safely burn all that powder. Only here in Louisiana. Frank

Boolit Master
    WC 872 or any of the others that were designed for the Vulcan.

Might poke around at Knob Creek in April if they have the next shoot. Lots of that sort of thing available either there or through people who are there. Otherwise I'd think www.gibrass.com would be the best bet. Would WC872 work or does it need something even slower? If so that may be a tough thing to get your hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    Dont know if it would work for you,, but Gibrass (aka bartlett reloaders) has a few different flavors of pull down powder from 20mm & 50cal.
    20mm is just a bit smaller than 37mm, I would think the powder would be a bit too fast.

the powder you are looking for is called "super slow" years ago ATF classified it as an explosive because it did not fall under the sporting use exemption
    it is out there but will require a explosive license to buy
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Boolit Mold
    actually super slow is still available thru gb seller shady grady ....its reclassified as a low explosive requiring a fel license to buy new stock as i have read.grady has some from before so he still has some ...i use superslow for 20 vulcan with 2100 grain projos. wc872 is good also.grady also has bags of 105 powders available...fyi..

Shady Grady also provided a wealth of information about the weird, but quite useable IMR 7383.

Boolit Master
    Shady Grady sounds like my kind of guy. I have lots of slow powders for my big guns. I found Shady Grady's auction at a site call Gun Auction. He has brand new VV super slow and sells it for $20 a lb. I knew he was my kinda guy ,he is from Tenn also.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-24-2020 at 08:51 PM.