Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Recommendation for small ring services

Boolit Master

Recommendation for small ring services

I could use some recommendations on someone to work on a small ring mauser receiver for me sorta truing it up . I would like to get some work done on it before sending it off for heat treatment .
    I have a pretty good since of humor , and being a boat owner I understand the money pit mentality , so I don't mind the throw it away and start with a good action post , but I still want to do this project right .
    Just some contact information will get me started in the right direction .

Boolit Grand Master

Hogs Tooth Precision Firearms
    F. Michael Leak
    (757)642-7955
    Type 7 FFL Manufacturer
    www.htpfirearms.com

He is down below Pungo in Virginia Beach.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    There is a guy with a lot of Mauser project experience at Accurate Reloading who goes by the handle DCPD or close. He posts a lot in gunsmithing there. He is a professional gunsmith and I have read his posts for 4 or 5 years. He knows his stuff.
    EDG

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you are having it blueprinted, take a deep breath when you get a price quote. I would have up to eight hours in doing an action.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Two things: First, what flavor of small ring is it? A 1895 Chilean or 1896 Swedish and it might be worthwhile to repair. If it's a 1893 Spanish just buy a new one and call it a day. Second, specifically what is wrong with it? If it has bolt lug setback, don't just throw it away, cut it in half and throw it away! If you want the feed rails altered for a different cartridge or want it drilled & tapped for a scope mount, that's do-able. The only way that gunsmithing on a small ring Mauser is economically viable is if you do the work yourself. Even then you loose money on the project, but because it's an interesting hobby that doesn't matter all that much. If the rifle has huge sentimental or historical value then maybe it's worth restoring, otherwise you'd just be spilling dollars to pick up nickles.