Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Finishing My New Custom Savage Apex Varmint Special & Stock!

Finishing My New Custom Savage Apex Varmint Special Stock!

I just finished building a cheap Savage Apex in 6BR Norma with an even cheaper New plain white Birch laminated Varmint style stock. I had one last Pence BR Stainless steel hand cut rifled barrel left in the safe in 6mm with a 1-12 twist? So I decided on a little 6br for bullets around 80 grains, after having the Savage Master at Sharp Shooters true and time the bolt and action, I had him pillar bed this unfinished Birch laminated stock with a kinda old Winchester Varmint style stock.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201024_141113[1].jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	270157

Since its an undied plain birch stock on this Custom Apex Varmint and knowing how hard it is to stain birch, then a laminated stock to boot, I decided to go with the SEASON! Yep it's fall and walnuts are everywhere~ Being a Varmint stock for hunting, the last finish I wanted was a glossy finish to shine and reflect movement in the moment of heat. So, I decided to try some walnut hulls since I have a walnut on the property. Found that the different stages of dead hulls gives different colors! I settled on some still green but starting to wrinkle. any fresher and they were yellow on the white birch. After they brown they get a really dirty brown color.

This was the the kinda dirty yellow look that I want in order to not pook game and very flat in sheen, just what I wanted, and the cool factor of being one of a kind is great with its own cover scent,,,, but keeps it all custom. I had no idea what to expect when I decided to try this, and was expecting a dark brown, but after a trial run with the pieces I cut from the but to get my prefered length of pull, I was pleasantly surprised at the color it produced. Now in a week or two I will hit it with a satin exterior polyurethane and call it ready for load development!

Name:	20201025_125754[1].jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	270158

Name:	20201025_125850[1].jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	270159

Finishing My New Custom Savage Apex Varmint Special & Stock!

Delete!

Boolit Master

A very efficient-looking rifle.
    Let us know how well she shoots?
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Cool project!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk