MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: To Reinforce My Post

Boolit Master

To Reinforce My Post

To reinforce my post in Mr Gibson's thread on the 250 RCBS 44 Special loads using VVN110 when I said his bullets look different than mine here is a photo.
    Left the "older" RCBS 250 K. Middle my "newest" RCBS 44 250 KT and the Lyman 429421.
    I am posting this not to create a controversy or doubt or meaning any thing negative or positive but just to show how things can and do vary.
    Do with this bit of info as you wish. Give it enough time and I am sure this will vary
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z8LQxpd.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	270148

That's very informative, thanks! It's interesting to see the change in nose profile for the RCBS moulds. Do the 2 RCBS moulds cast to the same approximate weight? It also looks like the middle one has the square lube groove -vs- the other two with more beveled sides. Also the narrower nose allowed them to expand the crimp groove and lengthen the boolit. I think I like the short fat version better.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    Curious, Do they all shoot the same with the same powder charge?

THANKS for sharing that .
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Curious, Do they all shoot the same with the same powder charge?
    I would venture they wouldn't given the same load, ballistically. From the photo it appears the left one would seat the deepest, then the one on the right and then the middle on. Thus, in either the 44 SPL or the 44 magnum cartridge with a given load I would expect pressure to be the greatest with the left one, then the right one and lowest pressure with the middle one. Of course the velocity would also be affected, probably in the same order. Another fine example of how it is seating depth is most critical, especially if approaching top end loads and why we should always work up a load and just not assume it to be within safe pressures just because we are using a "Keith" bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

The newer RCBS(center) appears to be the deepest seating to me, the older and lyman a toss up?

edit; add (center)
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

On the different bullets with the same bullet # GLL Jerry Lewis who was a very beloved member here and I am almost sure has passed away. Any way Jerry who I am almost sure was really Gerry once posted a photo of around 20 different bullets from the cherry #454424. some with different lube grooves and band widths and nose lengths. Jerry was a real student of the cast bullet and a Professor of Geology at Pasadena Univerity. He was also a damn nice guy..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

I have the RCBS #44-250-K mold as shown from the bullet on the left and the Lyman #429421 mold as shown from the bullet on the left.

I've fired them with the same loads in the same revolvers. Same brass, primers, lot of powder. Maybe the Lyman is a schosh more accurate.
    I usually shot the Lyman because I had a 4cav mold. And I'm not sure I really like the RCBS as much.

Thanks for the info.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Preciate you posting that picture.

Boolit Grand Master

Certainly moulds of the supposedly same bullet cut with different cherries [even with the same charry after sharpening several times] can all give different dimensioned bullets. Thus the seating depth may vary considerably enough to effect pressure plus or minus. That's why particularly with small capacity handgun cartridges, it's always a good idea to work the load back up if changing bullets even if the bullets are the same weight.

Here is a picture of 4 different 44 cal bullets from 240 to 254 gr in weight as they would be seated in the 44 magnum case. It was the Lee 240 gr TL bullet (left) that produced the highest psi with the same load. The difference in seating depth is easily seen.

Attachment 270189

Here is the Lyman 429421 and the RCBS 44-250-KT as cast of the same alloy as used in the recent tests. Again, the difference in seating depth is easily seen and it does make a difference as pressure testing in several other pistol/revolver cartridges has proven. Seating depth can be, and is, critical at times.

Attachment 270190
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla