Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready, casting a bunch

Boolit Master

Getting ready, casting a bunch

Time to get ready and be prepared...Been casting 45 acp and loading 2-300 at a time for years and now it is time to be better prepared. Time to bulk up and have more on hand. Who knows what could happen

So far yesterday I cast 550 H&G 200 gr Boolits, there is a word you haven't seen in a while, about 15.6 lbs of lead
    My goal is 3,000 Which will keep me going for a bit with processing/sizing, lubing and loading, about 85-86 lbs of lead.
    Been working on the rifle/shotgun ammo also- Multi purpose loads, accuracy loads, hunting loads, buckshot loads

Have you been motivated by the happenings lately to be better prepared. When a Democrat friend of mine says he is buying a gun and ammo. When friends look at me with soft kind words and say; Do you load 9mm? because they can't find much for sale.
    It is time to kick it into gear.

Boolit Master

I've been casting/PC'ing a lot of 9mm boolits recently.

It's funny, but the only reason I even have 9mm dies, mold and SPPs is because last year around this time (pre-Panic) I wanted to make some hot-glue boolits in primed cases for a friend who was low on funds and wanted a cheap way to practice inside at home.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    AndyC, the primed cases those glue boolits are loaded into aren't so cheap now. I'd bet your buddy is glad he has a supply of a currently very scarce resource.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Time to get ready and be prepared...Been casting 45 acp and loading 2-300 at a time for years and now it is time to be better prepared. Time to bulk up and have more on hand. Who knows what could happen

So far yesterday I cast 550 H&G 200 gr Boolits, there is a word you haven't seen in a while, about 15.6 lbs of lead
    My goal is 3,000 Which will keep me going for a bit with processing/sizing, lubing and loading, about 85-86 lbs of lead.
    Been working on the rifle/shotgun ammo also- Multi purpose loads, accuracy loads, hunting loads, buckshot loads

Have you been motivated by the happenings lately to be better prepared. When a Democrat friend of mine says he is buying a gun and ammo. When friends look at me with soft kind words and say; Do you load 9mm? because they can't find much for sale.
    It is time to kick it into gear.
    Why do you have democrat friends?

ETA: I have been trying to increase my inventory because of political climate. I just got back into reloading and into casting before the panic started. If primers become readily available I will stock up for the future. Planning on upping my lead supply. I’ve got 700lbs or so now but I’m worried my source will dry up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    AndyC, the primed cases those glue boolits are loaded into aren't so cheap now. I'd bet your buddy is glad he has a supply of a currently very scarce resource.
    Put it this way - he's hoarding them because I'm not making him any more until this crisis is over
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Moderator Emeritus

I started casting 9's in my spare time, after I first heard of the shortage (in July/August).
    I have the turret press setup and load some in the evenings.
    I'm sure glad I stocked up big time on 9 brass back when it was selling for less than scrap metal value
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Never let Politics get in your way of friends, we all put up with each others views. They are more conservative then they realize, but I'm not telling them that. We have more in common than not in common.
    They are getting a little edgy when I bring up the fact Hidden Biden has one foot in the grave, because they know it.

Voting for Biden is like me voting for McCain back when he was running for Pres, I absolutely despised the guy.

Boolit Buddy
    McCain weren’t much of a pilot. If he couldn’t do that well ask yourself how well he could drive America.

Did my stocking up on cast lead last summer. Everything from .17-.50.

Boolit Buddy
    While I was disappointed in with the way Senator McCain voted on some bills, I would not insult his military service. An aviator that straps on a A4 Skyhawk (scooter) and goes "downtown" earns my respect the same as a man in boots on the ground packing a rifle. Comparing Biden to any veteran is disgusting.

Iirc McCain's plane went down due to a faulty rocket pod exploding.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I think he might have been referring to the the AD-6 that McCain crashed and sank in and the other AD-6 that he was flying low in and took out power lines causing lots of damage to the plane.

Boolit Master
    I got back into casting after about a 30 year hiatus a few months ago, in part because I could see the handwriting on the wall in regard to component shortages > boolits, and because if the election goes South, then there may be no longer a shortage, but rather a complete outage. That's my rationalization, but now also because I enjoy the fire out of it. I had forgotten how much pleasure I get in casting.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm just recalling the conversations on here last year with a number of folks saying that casting and reloading 9mm wasn't worth the time and effort. I hope they at least had the dies and molds on the shelf alongside a couple bricks of primers. 2020 is running under a whole different set of rules.

Kind of reminds you of the wild wood weed song " we just smiled and waved; sittin there on that sack of seeds"
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    Why do you have democrat friends?

ETA: I have been trying to increase my inventory because of political climate. I just got back into reloading and into casting before the panic started. If primers become readily available I will stock up for the future. Planning on upping my lead supply. I’ve got 700lbs or so now but I’m worried my source will dry up.

I’ve been preparing for the “political climate”....for about 40 years! I’m not spending much time casting......it will be a while before I have a shortage! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 10-28-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Boolit Man
    In February I was helping with my mother's care and was watching a few videos of Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn while she was sleeping. They were talking about different firearms and they mentioned that a 135gr bullet was about the perfect projectile for a 9mm. I was fascinated by that and bought a NOE 9mm 135gr HP mould and messed around with them and decided they were a really great boolit for my 9's. Some of my co-workers laughed at me for reloading 9mm but right now they are trying to find anything they can store up on let alone shoot. I am still shooting and they are wishing they could. I guess I get the last laugh but I am willing to share if they ever get up the courage to ask!

Darn.....I went 140’s! Maybe, close enough! memtb

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    McCain weren’t much of a pilot. If he couldn’t do that well ask yourself how well he could drive America.

Did my stocking up on cast lead last summer. Everything from .17-.50.
    Anyone who could pass the qualification to land on an aircraft carrier is a hell of a pilot. Better pilot than most of the current crop of airline pilots.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Iirc McCain's plane went down due to a faulty rocket pod exploding.
    The A4C's and A4D's both had issues with the pods among other weapon systems. Yes, I too agree, anyone who climbs in a bantam bomber and heads downtown earns a little respect from me too. I've spent almost all of my adult life in Arizona. Lot of his politics rubbed me the wrong way most of the time. But he did have guts. I'm a former ABF who spent lots of time with Skyhawks. Great fighter/ bomber when everything was working right.

Boolit Master
    Since the free wheel weights are no longer easy to find, I resorted to buying lead from Roto-Metals, but then I decided it was easier and less costly to just buy the bullets I need. BUT, those bullets are rather scarce right now, as in "not available", SO I ordered more lead. Enough to keep me busy all winter long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast