Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem 788 30-30 optics ?

Rem 788 30-30 optics ?

I have recently acquired a Rem 788 30-30 and plan to only shoot cast. The dense and dark eastern hardwood hollows I hunt are 100 yd shots, and very often less.
    I am aware that these rifles scoped often have ejection issues. Higher mounts and scope rotation are a solution but I would rather not do either.
    I haven't been scope shopping lately so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a scope. Hopefully a scope that has worked for them considering the brass striking the turret during ejection issue.

Thanks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

Boolit Buddy
    Shotgun scope. I have an old Japanese made Bushnel Trophy 1.75-5 on my woods rifle, and it is a far nicer scope than the price I paid reflects. If you want a lighted reticule you may want to even consider buying a low power varible type that is commonly used on ARs.

Although I haven't owned a 30-30 788, I have owned several 788s in 22-250, .243, and .308 and never had any kind of ejection problem with any of them. I always mount scppes as low as possible because I prefer them that way. My choice for a 30-30 788 would be a 6x fixed or a 2x7 or 3x9 for hunting. Enjoy that rifle, it should be a great shooter.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I would respectfully suggest that you first mount a scope on the rifle and operate it, to determine if YOUR rifle has ejection issues.

If it does, it's easy enough to mount a scope with intermediate eye relief scope in the "scout" position, with the scope eyepiece about even with the rear of the front receiver ring.

I used a Weaver 2-7x28 pistol scope, which has about 10" of eye relief.

Your setup would look something like this:

In practical use, hunting/firing a trifle with a low-powered scope in the scout position is like using a receiver peep sight, but with a little magnification.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

My awareness of of 788 scope issues is firsthand with one rifle/scope combo. A 788 308 I once had, the extracted 308 brass did contact the scope and would fall back into the ramp IF I didn't cant the rifle slightly while working the bolt. In all fairness that scope was also mounted as low as I could get it, where I like them. Other instances come from internet searches that mention the problem. Yes, I know, don't believe everything you read on the internet

I have both a Luppy 2x7 and a Weaver 1.5x4.5 I can try however I like them on the rifles they are on. I would like to avoid moving either or both by asking 788 questions first.

Thank you both for your comments.
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

Boolit Buddy
    My Rem 788 in trusty 30-30 caliber has Weaver bases on the receiver, then Leupold PRW Medium height rings holding a Burris 3 x 9 Drop-tine scope.
    The only reason I used the Medium rings is due to the large turret knobs of the Burris scope.

No problems with case ejection what so ever

One problem, you will fall in love with that rifle and caliber using cast boolits

J Wisner

Quote Originally Posted by James Wisner View Post
    My Rem 788 in trusty 30-30 caliber has Weaver bases on the receiver, then Leupold PRW Medium height rings holding a Burris 3 x 9 Drop-tine scope.
    The only reason I used the Medium rings is due to the large turret knobs of the Burris scope.

No problems with case ejection what so ever

One problem, you will fall in love with that rifle and caliber using cast boolits

J Wisner
    Good info all around. Especially the ring height/turret caps. The Weaver (the scope I am leaning towards using) caps are rather large also.
    I am really looking forward to having such a rifle/caliber/cast problem. Exactly why bought I it

Thanks

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Old steel K-4 Weaver would be just about perfect for your use . I prefer a same vintage scope on my older rifles .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

I had 222 with K8 and 308 with K4, never any trouble with ejection.

Boolit Grand Master

I've mounted scopes on two of the M788s in 30-30 in past years for friends, Both with Weaver bases and low Weaver tip off rings. Never had an ejection problem. I'd suggest giving the Weaver 1.5x4.5 scope in same rings a go. I'll bet you find it just the ticket on the that rifle.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've mounted scopes on two of the M788s in 30-30 in past years for friends, Both with Weaver bases and low Weaver tip off rings. Never had an ejection problem. I'd suggest giving the Weaver 1.5x4.5 scope in same rings a go. I'll bet you find it just the ticket on the that rifle.
    I am leaning towards using the Weaver, however it has a 30mm tube. It's currently on a receiver side rail mount on my Sav 340 with Weaver low rings.
    The 788 is already wearing a rail so moving the scope shouldn't be a big deal. In the end it be a very close (dimensionly) set up as was on my 308 788. We'll see.

I also have an old Weaver K4 and some 1" low and med Weaver rings that I can try for clean operation. The K4 works but it is in very poor cosmetic shape.

Thanks

My 788 30-30 has Weaver bases and an old Leupold M8 10X on it. No problems with that setup.

Boolit Master

AND mount the rings so the screw knobs are on the left side of the rifle
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

A Burris Fastfire III or similar red dot sight would be ideal for shots at 100 yards or less.

This is the Weaver that might wind up on the 788.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-...pe-849842.html

Boolit Grand Master

That would be a very good one, if not an excellent one, for hunting in those "dense and dark hollows" you mention.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

Love the Remington 788. Mine is chambered in .308 Winchester and with a scope, it tips the scales at 8.5 pounds. I cured my problem with the fired case falling back into the action by moving the scope forward. The horizontal adjustment turret is closer to the case neck and it just clears.

It's a tack driver with many sub MOA loads.

“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Stick View Post
    Love the Remington 788. Mine is chambered in .308 Winchester and with a scope, it tips the scales at 8.5 pounds. I cured my problem with the fired case falling back into the action by moving the scope forward. The horizontal adjustment turret is closer to the case neck and it just clears.

It's a tack driver with many sub MOA loads.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That would be a very good one, if not an excellent one, for hunting in those "dense and dark hollows" you mention.
    Thanks. I am looking forward trying the 311041/leverevolution load that worked so well in Sav 340 in the 788.
    Maybe it won't be as stiff in the 788?

Boolit Master
    I bought a 788 in .30-30 in 1970 snd used a 1969 vintage Weaver K4 in low Redfield rings with the one piece Redfield bases.
    I used Redfield because it was a one piece with 3 holes. The Weaver rear base only has a single hole.

This scope has a very long eye relief and the turret is close to the middle of the long tube. So you can mount the K4 with the turret further forward than is possible with many modern scopes.

My rifle ejects and misses the turret and the flipping case often hits the receiver about half way between the rear of the ejection port and the bolt handle. Then it bounces out to the right. If you watch the case you can learn to catch it as it bounces off the receiver. You can look really cool if you are still staring down range when you open the bolt and the reach out to the right and catch the bouncing case without looking. The say "I meant to do that".
    I think it is possible to mount a scope with a large long turret sitting well back near the rear of the ejection port. That combo is likely to get in the way of ejection.

During the time I mounted the scope on the 30-30 i also owned a .44 Mag. 788. I used a K3 Weaver on it also in Redfield low rings with a one piece base. It did not hit the scope turret during ejection and the cases also bounced off the receiver.
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast