Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Need help identifying these reloading items

Boolit Buddy

Need help identifying these reloading items

I have come across these dies, or at least I am pretty sure that's what they are. They are smaller in diameter than standard dies, as far as my knowledge is aware anyway. If I am not making any sense then I can measure them and post that if need be but they are too small for standard die lock rings, and the threads are different. I have no idea what they are or what they are worth and hope someone here can help me. I may be selling them later as well. The only marking I can find on these are shown in the pics. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 122544436_4592438097464339_2315269715226505806_n.jpg   122692565_4592436920797790_5735770475385717685_n.jpg   122703553_4592439017464247_8442568720499751334_n.jpg   122726964_4592437810797701_4852407579001976516_n.jpg   122727265_4592437564131059_8709584191067545779_n.jpg  

122735883_4592437247464424_6168326411196346799_n.jpg   122745094_4592438740797608_5572896723681736398_n.jpg   122766378_4592438410797641_864181472704358510_n.jpg  

Banned
    Those not marked RCBS are Lyman dies for the tong tool and Tru-Line Jr press.

Your picture quality is not clear enough to ID the purpose of the RCBS. I have to admit that I have not seen anything like them, though RCBS did make some tools that they never cataloged.

Boolit Buddy
    Yea I should have turned those over and got another pic. Those marked RCBS actually look like they may be case trimmers for .220 S (Swift??) and the .22 H (Hornet?). And they were in a drawer that had some .22 hornet projectiles.

Thanks for the info on the other dies. Im going to do a little research on that now. Maybe someone else will have more information for me as well.

Thanks
    Robert

earlier Lyman 310 dies had numbers instead of caliber stamped in them.
    common calibers/numbers include:
    123 30-06 / 165 22 Hornet
    153 270 Win / 169 220 Swift
    15 30-40 Krag / 134 9 mm Luger
    11 25-35 / 95 38 Spl/ 357
    These are just a sample and far from a complete list.
    Expanding Plugs usually have diameter stamped on top.
    Seater plugs I think have a Lyman bullet nose number.

Boolit Buddy
    The three dies showing the numbers and the two RCBS pieces are the only things with any king a writing or numbers on them. All the rest are blank like they never had any numbers or letters to begin with.

Boolit Buddy
    update on the Lyman 310 dies as best I can find anyway.

(2) Lyman 310 Universal decapper die
    Shell Expander Chamber die (#450 seater)
    45-auto-da (#374 insert)
    22-hor-mr die
    Shellholder?? #4
    Shell Expander Chamber die (#452 insert)
    #2 Priming die
    #4 Priming die
    #7 Priming die
    #127 bullet seater die 45 acp
    Shell Expander Chamber die (#223 insert)

Does anyone know if I can get any more specific than that as far as what calibers the priming dies are for as an example. I think one priming die may be for 45acp and another for .22 Hornet.

There is a list of the 310 dies by number, and I have it. If you want to PM me your mailing address I'll send you a copy in the mail. The priming dies are often good for more than one cartridge, maybe several. To use any of these tools you'll have to acquire an appropriate sized tool (handles), one of the old Tru line Jr. presses, or threaded adapter sleeves to allow use in a modern press. You mentioned perhaps selling the dies, and there is a market for them, but you should find out what it is that you're selling before listing them. If you choose to sell them on this forum please read the Swapping & Selling rules before listing them.

Quote Originally Posted by roscottjr View Post
    update on the Lyman 310 dies as best I can find anyway.

#2 Priming die
    #4 Priming die
    #7 Priming die
    #2 30-06 45ACP & like based case
    #4 Hornet & ?
    #7 44 Special 35 Win 303 Brit & like based case
    Above are part of the basic family of each, list is not complete or all of each.

Boolit Buddy
    That's what I was thinking. So the priming dies are basically like shellholders and will actually work with multiple calibers. These are turning out to be some pretty cool dies.

Boolit Master

Go to the sub forum, on the Casting and Reloading area about hand tools. Lot of info about these. Also a lot of info on the internet. Lyman/Ideal made some of the first reloading tools for the average person. Tong tool and 310 turret press. Like a lot of our hobby here, something you can get interested in and spend a lot of money on
    Look at the prices on Ebay-- quite a few enthusiasts, some with more money than sense.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’d say the only value in them is for a collector. The quality and price of CNC dies made today, makes new ones the way to go. Post them on WTS and ask for offers. Perhaps someone has the original press and would like to have them, unless you are into collecting yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    No I don't have any use for them. I thought posting on WTS required a price? Im not sure on my details on some of those but I have someone mailing me a chart that will help identify what I have so when I do post them for sale I can post them with details.

I have used and continue to use some of the 310 dies in reloading.
    The expanders are still relevant and the seating dies seem to be smoother than the run of the mill dies of to day.
    Granted, there weren't very many taper crimp dies of that era.
    The neck sizing function of the 310 dies is still a valid option as well.
    I see people wanting Tru-Line Jr turret presses with a 7/8-14 die, not enough strength in press for me.
    I use the insert made for 310 dies in place of some of the 7/8-14.
    I do have turret presses, 2 Lee Classic Cast and 1 Dillon 550.
    Have 5-6 Tru-Line presses.(5 together and 1 in restoration-ie. hinge pins etc)
    Have multiple steel and alloy hand tong tools .
    In a nut shell, they are not junk, just orphans looking for an adoptive home.
    YMMV
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 10-25-2020 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Muddy water!

Fromthe look of your list you have enough dies for two sets. 22 Hornet and 45 ACP.
    The 22 Hor MR is for neck sizing the case. One of the decapping dies to knock out the primer, the expander with the 223 expands the case neck, the die you list as an expanding chamber with the 450 seater is probably a DA or double adjusting die. This die set one way seats the bullet the other crimps the case neck. The #4 priming chamber seats the primers in the 22H case. The #4 shell holder is for the 22H. It is used in a set of tong tool handles.
    For the 45 ACP about the same way but for the 45 case. You need the #7 shell holder.
    One set of alloy handles in the S size will work for both.
    These dies sets work very well. A bit slow compared to more modern stuff. For some guns you may need to full length size the cases every now and again as they may get hard to chamber. Lyman made FL sizers that work like Lee whack a mole tools.
    These are a very interesting tools to those who like the history of reloading.
    Reading the section about hand tools will let you read about how they work and how handy they can be.
    I have sets for everything I own and a few I don't. Some include cast bullet size die as well as the full length size dies. Some have steel handles others alloy.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    44magLeo wow, thanks for that information. There is one bit of information I left out when I posted this. I found all these dies in a small metal organizer full of drawers. There are lots of other things in the drawers that I may post in S&S. Some are scope rings, iron sights, just a vey random assortment of quite a few things. There may be something in there with value or it may be something where I just have to sell it all together. Not sure yet, anyway, there were 3 drawers with all these dies and a few more drawers that had 22 hornet brass and projectiles. Then there are a few random brass but I haven't checked what they are. The 22 Hornet caught my eye because until now I came across these things I had never seen one. After seeing them, I may be in the market for a new rifle soon.

One question though in regards to the dies: should I decide to sell them, what would the entire set be worth or how should I go about selling them? Not seeling them in this post in case anyone reads that wrong.

Thanks
    Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by roscottjr View Post
    One question though in regards to the dies: should I decide to sell them, what would the entire set be worth or how should I go about selling them? Not seeling them in this post in case anyone reads that wrong.

Thanks
    Robert
    Well, you need to research multiple sites, find out what a reasonable price is. I surely don't know. I have 5 or 6 in my calibers. Just educate yourself, all knowledge is useful, at some point in time, IMHO.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the help with identifying these items. Now that I know what all of it is I have thought about it and done some research. I will be listing these for sale here shortly.

Thanks again everyone
    Robert