Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Latest project - rescue (?)

Boolit Buddy

Latest project - rescue (?)

I posted part of this on RFC, but thought I share here as well. I've posted about my interests in the Ruger 77/22 rifles and the 22 Mag caliber before. On and off for a year or two, I've been looking for an early blued bolt model, walnut stocked 77/22 in 22 Mag with sights. I've been looking for a nice conditioned shooter, not a NIB model and not priced like a NIB model either. About 2 months ago, one was listed on GB and closed without a bid. It had beautiful bluing - not a blemish on it. The stock on the other hand, had a bit of a rough life, had some gouges, scratches and impressions in the checkering. It was missing the rear sight and was topped with a low end Tasco 4X. I reached out to the business that had posted and not relisted it. We struck a deal and it was sent this way. I immediately started the search for a nice condition original replacement stock. A gent on RFC answered the bell for me with one, that he said he took off before he ever fired a shot thru his. Deal 2 was struck and I actually received it, the day after I picked up the rifle. I ordered a replacement rear sight for it on line. The Tasco was removed and I swapped on an older, but minty Bushnell 1.5x5 that I had on a shelf here. The "new" stock was installed and spare sling added. I actually took the pic, before the sight arrived. It is now installed and a bit of rubber treatment on the buttpad to clean up the dried look to it. For now, it's just boresighted, yet to make a range trip. I'm very happy with the results all around. I thought I'd share the end results with the folks that check in here - Thanks, Bill in MA
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7722 RSM.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	270061

Banned
    Nice! Even better that you got it before it could be used and beat more. Good work.

Very good looking rifle!!!!

Boolit Master

Good job!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

There's just something about the look of those strait tubed scopes that really set these rimfire rifles off.

I mounted a Leupold 4x28 Rimfire scope on my 77/22M right after I bought it, over 30 years ago.

The small scope's proportions fit the 77/22 perfectly, making a trim, fast-handling rifle.

I don't have a pic of mine, but it looks exactly like this one:

The nice thing about using the .22WRM is that it's good medicine for the occasional coyote that responds when I call foxes (or other predators)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I had a Burris Compact 6x on mine as a new rig. Didn’t like small field of view of compact. Put a 4x Redfield top of the line on it and made excellent rig. Traded to my Bro - scope. He put a 2x7Leupold on it now. I now have the 4x RF on my 77/22 22rf.Attachment 270155

I keep a strait tubed scope on my full stock anschutz, 1 of my favorite squirrel rifles.
    [IMG][/IMG]

That same model Ruger is my goto 22, even though it's magnum. They're a beautiful gun! Mine loves the Hornady 30 Vmax ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    I like to keep the intended use of the rifle and scope in proportion. I have a few heavy barrel target rifles with the bigger scopes. For this rifle and the pair of full stock rifles I have, the lower powered, straight tube scopes are the all power that is needed and look "correct" for the rifle. Just my opinion, obviously. These 2 have been seen here before, the 77/22 is in 22 Mag as well, it was a special run a few years ago. It has a Leupold scope in Warne QD rings. The 10/22 was also a special run model, with french walnut. It has a Weaver scope in Leupold mounts. Since the pic was taken, I rebuilt the 77/22 bolt on the full stock model, so it now wears a blued bolt, cocking piece and safety. I obviously like the blued steel and walnut style! Thanks Bill in MA

Name:	77 22 RSI.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	270270

Name:	New Ruger 1022.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	270271

Boolit Grand Master
    I very much prefer the looks of blued steel and black walnut rifles to anything else, although a good blonde stock is also very striking.

Even the plain old pallet wood stocks are better than plastic, at least as far as looks go.

Robert

+1 on the straight tubed scopes.