MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting the Press Monitoring Computer for Rasberry Pi

Boolit Master

Starting the Press Monitoring Computer for Rasberry Pi

These have been around for a while. Seen them go for 450 and up. Most of the automated presses have them.

I saw on YouTube a guy made an analog system. Cool. Back ground on me I am an aviation electrician and fully understand wiring and analog. I have school and some basic experience in 3M (micro miniature maintenance) but never went that route in my feild. I drew up the schematics for it.

Well one day a project for my press called for a Rasberry Pi. Not to get into tech talk but but my laptop couldn't do it. I needed to see two webcams at once. So I can make sure primers are seated correctly and cases are charged.

Well last year I saw a random article pop up on my Google news. An older gentleman made one for less than 200 bucks. It was a makers fair. For once Google spying me paid off. So I thought, if he can do it then I can do it. Down side is I have zero experience in Python programming so this is an adventure of Newby. He never posted his code so I am working from scratch.

Since I all ready had the PI it only cost me 40 bucks in addition supplies to get

This is the flow chart to show what I am trying to achieve started.

This is how I have it all wired. I dont have the LCD or the Distance sensor yet.

This the GUI (graphical user interface) i want to create.

This is the optional LCD I want to make. Incase a GUI isn't wanted or all one needed is a round counter and primer warning.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Starting today's adventure and starting a Github repository.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

Seems like a waste of time to me.......I've been handloading/casting for over 50 years. I don't see the need! Just sayin.

Boolit Buddy
    That seems like a really cool project! I have to imagine you could really crank out some rounds fast. What is the physical machine setup? Could you post some photos? Seems like a good way to keep the lead off your hands, or maybe do just the opposite and cast while the machine is reloading in another room?

Boolit Master

If we have any programmers here that can critique me or offer guidance. The Github is:
    Www.github.com/Rcmaveric/Reloading-Press-Monitor

Lol I dont know what I am doing. I am researching and making this up as I go.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Seems like a waste of time to me.......I've been handloading/casting for over 50 years. I don't see the need! Just sayin.
    You are right. It isnt needed. But I am about to spend 6 months in the desert and need something to make and keep my sanity.

Nothing is needed that cant be done manually. But I won't be the only one who wants something or some form of simple convenience.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brick85 View Post
    That seems like a really cool project! I have to imagine you could really crank out some rounds fast. What is the physical machine setup? Could you post some photos? Seems like a good way to keep the lead off your hands, or maybe do just the opposite and cast while the machine is reloading in another room?
    I am not automated. But the thought did cross my mind. If someone went full automation then if a warning is triggered it pauses the automation.

Automation is expensive and these Mark IV look sexy. Lol could you imagine of some dumb redneck open sourced that.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

This is just the beginning

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    You are right. It isnt needed. But I am about to spend 6 months in the desert and need something to make and keep my sanity.

Nothing is needed that cant be done manually. But I won't be the only one who wants something or some form of simple convenience.

What's your rate Sailor?
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

AE1. Lol hence the background in electronics. Been O level maintenance the whole time.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    You stay safe out there in the sand.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Got the low primer code working and posted on my github.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Moderator Emeritus

Always been impressed with folks that can do electronics. One area I just don't really get. Probably because never spent time learning it but I think it is cool you are trying. Good luck and be safe over there.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a great project, one that is on my dream list. Especially now that I am playing with a camera for my press.

Someday I want a fully automated ammo factory.
    I just got a couple of 4-20 bottom pour pots and will hopefully get around to making a pid out of an arduino I have laying around.
    I could use a handful of PIDs, casting, coating oven, smoker etc.
    After that I want to play with a PI to compare the two and make a second pid.

As far as need, I don’t need my 550, I could load with a whack a mole if I had to or even buy factory ammo.
    Yet I lust after an automated 1050.
    Automation and process control has always fascinated me and sometimes the process is more interesting than the end result.
    Like others I have been guilty of going shooting just to empty brass so I can reload more.

I will try to follow your project, I know nothing about python and my programming days are from another lifetime. It will be nice to play with code again, frustrating but nice.

Just remember KISS in your design, it is too easy to make things needlessly complex.

My favorite example is a bullet flipper, so many complex designs and JMORRIS comes around and makes a plastic roller coaster loop. Bullet falls down, up a curve then straight down, turning 180 degrees, with no moving parts.

Absolute brilliance in its simplicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Adding two cams to my load master is what started this. Code to see both webcams is posted on my github. Install python 3 and OpenCv and you can use the code(note: you will need two independent USB host(not ports)). If your computer has USB2 and usb3 port then it work fine. I never could find a Linux or windows app that would let me easily see two webcams.

Main difference between PI and arduino is that arduino can actually take analog readings. Pi can't do that easily. Like for my light sensor, it can't actually read the resistance of the sensor like like an arduino could. So enstead you measure the time it takes the capacitor to charge and discharge and a little math and you get a yes or no. An arduino could actually tell you how bright it was.

Thermal couples work by inducing voltage equal to temperature. They don't even get powered. Straight heat generated electricity. Dont forget google. Most things are all ready done just not for our purposes. Just copy paste, tweak and optimize.

The circuit protection will be complex. Right now my pi has none. So if I mess up too bad I will fry the whole board. I need to make a run and get the last of the parts.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

I used a automation direct "click" PLC for my controls.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I used a automation direct "click" PLC for my controls.

Thats awesome. I didn't even think about primer counting.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Jmorris, updated my code with the primer counter and credited you for the idea.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I have gotten all sensors but the powder level sensor working. I smoked my distance sensor and it takes about a month shipping... maybe if I find EU source nearby shipping will he faster.

So if anyone wants simple code to control their bullet feeder case feeder or add alarms to their primer feeder. The code is posted. As far as the actually program. I have gotten the camera feeds and buttons working. I have gotten the form buttons working. I figured I would tackle all the easy things before I start adding the complex things where the sensors interface with the app. Lol took me a week to get those buttons working. I have feeling anyone who actually knows how to do this could have gotten it done quicker. At the rate I am going it takes me a week to get one thing working.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

I thought of another sensor I didn’t have in the video above as those GSI feeders feed and seat at the same station.

When I use a dropper style feeder every once in awhile a bullet will tip or even fall off moving to the seating station so added a laser sensor switch that is aimed at the very tip of the bullet, breaking the beam. So, no bullet, inverted bullet tipped in any direction and the machine stops.

Not really needed on a manual press but thought i would throw it out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ADDB6CBB-4410-40D5-A196-A2F27446FFD5.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast