MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Nylon 66

Nylon 66 amazes me at the bracket people want to put it in. It is a good plinker grade 22 rifle and will stand abuse. It is breakable, especially in sub zero temps. Pull dust cover off and you will see weakest area is in the bolt ways area. Scoping is attaching to a sheet metal dust cover. I always kept one around for kids because it was light. For this reason also a good utility gun. There were some very fine autoloading 22 rifles in Nylon 66 era. Just about any I can think of were more accurate than Nylon 66.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a 66 a short time ago. It is light and reliable but is is not a target rifle. Accuracy is good enough for a hunting gun but it isn't up to hitting dimes at 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I picked up a 66 a short time ago. It is light and reliable but is is not a target rifle. Accuracy is good enough for a hunting gun but it isn't up to hitting dimes at 50 yards.
    You must have bought yours the same place I bought mine. We got hosed, the rest of them shoot into one hole at 100yds. ��

Just another verification of the "no two things are alike" axiom. I had a friend who bought a Mannlicher style Ruger 10/22 when they were fairly new on the market. He routinely shot squirrels in the head from high out of the tops of walnut trees. I had to have one, but preferred the M1 Carbine style. Big disappointment. My single shot Stevens was more accurate. I sold it at the first opportunity and bought a Marlin (Glenfield) Mod. 60, which was superbly accurate, and which I still own. But, others praise the 10/22's accuracy highly, so I guess I got the exception. Probably worked the same way with Nylon 66 rifles.

I bought Ruger International 10/22 when 1st out in late 60s, $56. Put Weaver K3 on it and it shot into one hole at 40yds. There is a big difference in 10/22s as years went by. I had all four styles as they came out. They all shot better than average back then. About half way through 80s there was decline in quality of the 10/22. I has progressed to point the 10/22 is just another 22. They have cut corners and lost its reputation along the way.

My 66 will keep them in a dime at 25 yards.
    It likes RWS HVHP best, Mini Mags and Golden Bullets are almost as good.
    I have a William's peep on mine, so 50 yard groups open up a bit.

I stupidly sold one I had in high school in the mid 70's, and finally got another last year for $175.
    It had some rust on the barrel, so I sandblasted it and did the barrel and receiver cover in grey Cerakote.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200503_190610.jpg  

Just an update. I have found my gun to be very accurate when I do my part. If a rest the gun will shoot into a Quarter sized hole with CCI Standard Vel. ammo. Tempt/ is around 0C to 7C right now with a wind and of course rain. When it gets cool like this I prefer to take a mag fed gun. I acquired a Savage A22 for playing Rimfire Challenge Matches up here. I have 5 25 rd mags for it along with the 10 rd mag it comes with. Right now, once the 110 rds are shot I switch to my GP-100 then go home.

Merry Christmas to all

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I traded for a 10/22 some time in the 80s IIRC. It shot poorly at best. I put a 4x scope on it and shot it prone at 25yds with 5 or 6 different brands of ammo. None of them shot under 1 1/2 " at 25 yds. Next I shot my Ruger MKI T with a 2.5x Bushnell Phantom scope. Groups were 1/2" to 3/4" at 25yds using the same ammo. I promptly traded the 10/22.
    My nylon 66 will group about 1" at 50 yds with most bulk 22 ammo. I feel that is plenty good for hunting/plinking but I certainly wouldn't put it against a Win 52 or an Anschutz or even a lowly 513T or my 1919 Savage NRA 22. Some folks idea of accuracy is pop cans at 25yds.

Having a lot of experience with 10/22s I can tell you that the low end carbine has sub standard barrels. Any 10/22 that won’t shoot under 1” at 25 yds has serious barrel issues. It is a shame that Ruger did this to the 10/22. I ended up with a lot of stock barrels and hardwood stocks from aftermarket replacements. Even had a few Trigger assemblies. Well I got the idea when I got a older 10/22 that was a little beat to switch out parts. Would install new barrel, stock and trigger group. I found out they might look better but didn’t shoot as well as the older beat up rifle. I’ve even had trouble just switching barrels on new models. Not physical fit but function. Seems like all the bean counters had their companies involved in a race to the bottom. The Ruger 10/22 is only still around because of all the aftermarket stuff for it. In today’s standard it’s just another 22, not one to brag about. This doesn’t include the high end target versions.

Strange how this thread about Remington Nylons drifted into a 10/22 thread.

Boolit Master
    Seems to normal for the 10/22 to end up in just about any discussion about 22s as almost everyone has one or more. I had one and that was enough for me.

Boolit Master
    I saw a Nylon for the first time at the LGS this week, they want $300. He buys a lot of estate sales. In the last few months he's had over a dozen old Winchesters including a low wall 22lr, a 44WCF, an old 30WCF, a Savage 99 in 303 Savage, numerous Mauser's ect. All way over priced but they all sell.

Boolit Master

That's one of the treasures on my bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post

I saw a Nylon for the first time at the LGS this week, they want $300.

All way over priced but they all sell.
    IME (I've sold a few within the past 5 years), $300 is the correct value of a Nylon 66 in decent condition today, provided the stock's not a special color like the rare Seneca Green - in which case drives the value to $400-$500 (+/-).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Took my Nylon 66 out today for the first time in longer than I care to admit. My first one I purchased close to 50 years ago. A lot of fond memories were made with that gun. I wasn't the gun person then I am today, and foolishly sold it off. I just remembered how it felt in my hand while making for the hounds that had a squirrel treed. That, and the distinct feeling on the action working on it when you fired it. I was 40+ years replacing it. When I woke up this morning to clear blue skies, I decided I've had enough of this sitting around the house. Called up a dear old friend and we headed for the sticks. One squirrel managed to out fox my friend and I. Oh well. Next up we caught a racoon crossing the road and just watched him for a bit. He wasn't hurting anything and I stopped killing things just to be shooting them long ago. It either needs killing, or I plan on eating it one. I have eaten racoon before, not bad, but I didn't want the hassle of messing with it. Next stop was a nice creek. I pulled out a batch of rounds to burn and got busy. Man! It really is the simple things in life some days that make it all worth while. The first squeeze of the trigger, and the sound and feel I'd known from long ago came home to me and I was happy as a pig in mud.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

A lot is said about scoping the Nylon, that it is a bad idea. I think where some go wrong is trying to mount a too big or too heavy scope on that receiver cover. Keep it light and your chances of staying zeroed are better.

Overtightening the cover screws will not hep things and can impede functioning. When I bought this last Nylon last spring, I stopped in the National Forest on the way home to try it out. It would fire the first round, then jam. I figured it needed a good cleaning.

At home I took it apart (best to only take cover, barrel and bolt apart, farther than that it gets difficult) and it wasn't all that dirty. But the owner had a cheapo 3/4" tube scope on it that was so bad I couldn't see through it.
    He had the cover screws on so tight I thought I was going to strip the heads when I tried to loosen them.
    I put them on with a lighter torque, took the Nylon out behind the house and proceeded to fire off a couple magazines full with no malfunctions.

Another thing to be aware of is the flexible fore end. That long thin fore end will twist if you don't use a light touch and put sideways pressure on the barrel. Best to not grab it way out on the end and to use a light grip.

One cool thing about the Nylons is you can lay the rifle on it's left side, place a round on the bolt, than rack it back and it will chamber perfectly every time. I load the chamber that way, then put it on safe and then fill the tube with 14 rounds.
    Some of those plastic "speedloader" tubes are great to fill the Nylon or any tube fed .22.

The tubes come holding 15 rounds, I take several and cut them down so they only hold 14 rounds. I also have some cut down to hold 11 rounds for my Browning SA-22.
    I leave some that hold 15 rounds for my Browning BL-22, of course the BL-22 loads from the muzzle end so those go in the tube rim up.
    The Nylon and SA-22 load thru the butt stock, so those go into the plastic tube bullet up.

I went to the hardware store and bought some rubber caps in different colors so the speedloader tubes are color coded for each rifle.
    They can be found on rimfirecentral at the top of the page - https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
    A guy sells them here in this link:
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...o=ad&id=191481
    They are $20 for 10, and $37.50 for 20 of them.

Thanks for the tip on where to find speedloaders on rimfirecentral, always some interesting and fun stuff to be found on that site. I probably won't be putting a scope on my Nylon 66. My eyesight (at 67 with glasses) and the generous sights on the 66 are still working for me. It just felt great to get out and do a little shooting with an old friend. I hope others can learn from this current shortage. We've all seen/heard about the crazy prices (again) people are asking for and getting for .22 ammunition right now. None of mine will be for sale. I live in a rural area where a lot of young boys and girls will be getting their first .22 this year for Christmas. I would much rather gift it out to them than sell it. Hunting & fishing is serious business in my part of the world.

Some of my best memories, were getting together with a couple of friends/cousins and heading out hunting small game. Not for table fare, but to sell. We would take our proceeds and fund the next days gasoline & shells for another day of fun. I can just see walking into a store today and trying to buy part of a box of .22's, and eleven .410 shells.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I base my opinions of guns I have owned a used. Rem 66, Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22 , I’ve owned dozens of. Enough to make good comparison. I’ve never had near as many of any make or model 22 than these three. Rem 66 never had impressed me for accuracy but function was pretty good even with dip sticks who never cleaned them. Kind of like the AK of semi 22s. The Marlin 60, and only talking JM guns, I have found to be accurate but the feed system are PIA. Not kept clean they will jam. Then Bubba uses a key or knife to pry on it. It’s done for then, most cases require new throat. Then we come to 10/22. I don’t think model has anything to do with it. The time frame it was made does. I only have the Sporter that is original. Others are still in family. They all shoot well. My boy bought a Sporter couple years ago and it shoots lousy. Not the first time I saw this a friend of mine was in love with my Sporter and went to buy one. He got a fancy stainless model and it’s terrible shooter. There are other 22 rifles that I’ve had that were older models and all shot well.
    Back in the day they shot or you would be out of business. The Win and Rem BA 22s of 60s and older were target grade compared to today’s junk.

We all have our faavourites. On this side of the 49th I doubt you can find a boy raised during the 50's in rural or Western Canada that has not shot a Cooey .22 bolt action or a Lakefield made during the same era. Single shot or tube fed they were accurate as any made during that period. I paid $22.00 Cdn in 1956 for my first one, It still shoots well in the hands of my two sons. Back then buying anything like a Nylon 66 or Winchester was out of reach for most of us back then. Today I enjoy Judge Lawrence's Nylon 66. It does everything I want to do out to 50 yards. Perfect squirrel medicine.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear about your friend, he has passed on a great rifle to you. I've had a basic Mohawk Brown for 54 years, it's accounted for more game and pests than anything else I've owned put together.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast