Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Nylon 66

Remington Nylon 66

I have a friend who is dying. His wife called me up yesterday and asked if I could come over to their home. when I got their my friend gave me his Nylon66. this one was made in 1958 and is i pristine condition. I can remember the ads in the gun magazine where the gun was pictured with a stack of wooden blocks all hit with this amazing rifle. I noticed on the barrel of this gun it says "Made in Canada", Did Remington have a plant up here then? The gun was made in 1959. Marked Pat Pending. In any event I will be off to the range to destroy a few bean cans and whatever else I can find in the recycle bin,

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 10-24-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    intresting i lived near ilion ny intrested about can. built also ???????????????
    of course i sold my 77 clip feed 1

In the 1960's, Remington exported Nylon rifle parts to Canada that were assembled there near Detroit, for the Canadian market.

I believe it was easier in Canada to have parts imported rather than entire firearms.

At the end of the Nylon rifle series, Remington sold the machinery to CBC, a Brazilian company, which made (mostly) black Nylon rifles.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear about your friend. I have my FiLs 1911 after he passed so we take it out and shoot it every Father's Day and on his Birthday.
    Cargo

My regrets about your friend. It's nice that he thought of you. You'll have something to remember his friendship with.

Sorry to hear about your friend. The Nylon 66 was a fun rifle and very popular here in Central NYS.

Thanks guys for the information. The old girl will be at the range tomorrow.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I'm so sorry about your friend. Having had a Nylon 66 since I was a boy, the main thing I will say is that if I could only have one gun- that's the one I'd have. It's light, its accurate, and ultra dependable. The magazine ad with Tom Frye sitting on the wood blocks sealed the deal for me. My Dad tried to talk me out of buying " that plastic gun"- but guess what kind of .22 his 91 year old self has used for the last 30 years? Yep.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    True friends are to be cherished ,sorry about his health problems prayers for him.
    I bought a used 66 for my sons first gun from a friend when he was 8, on a trip to his best friends family place when he was about 13 they wrecked a 3 wheeler broke the stock in half.
    He was sick he loved that 22, not all was lost i had a another one he still shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    True friends are to be cherished ,sorry about his health problems prayers for him.
    I bought a used 66 for my sons first gun from a friend when he was 8, on a trip to his best friends family place when he was about 13 they wrecked a 3 wheeler broke the stock in half.
    He was sick he loved that 22, not all was lost i had a another one he still shoots.
    That is what Dad's are for. Being there for your family is what our destiny is. There is no other greater responsibility. None!

Take Care and be Safe

Bob

What do you folks do for lubrication? I am thinking less is better than more.

Take Care

Bob

There is absolutely no lubrication needed for the Nylon 66. Once every few thousand rounds or so, take a dime and remove the action cover screws, pull the operating handle out and lift the cover straight up and off. The ejector will fall free. Brush the powder fouling away from the bolt then reassemble and shoot more. To shoot one as a single shot, hold the rifle with the ejection port up facing the sky. Place a cartridge in the port on the side of the bolt, pull and release the operating handle. The cartridge will fall in and get scooped into the chamber. Enjoy that rifle, they are a blast.

Thanks for the reply will comply.

Button down the hatches your State is about to get hit, yet again, Good luck.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry about your friend. He gave you a wonderful rifle. I have had mine for 50 years and still shoot it. Only other 22 I like as well is my 39a.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    What do you folks do for lubrication? I am thinking less is better than more.

Take Care

Bob
    As noted above, never lube the internals (Nylon is self-lubricating) - just clean it, then protect the exterior with wax or oil.

The receiver cover removes easily, but take care that the cartridge feed guide riveted inside the top of the cover is in the correct orientation, and also to replace the ejector into it's slot in the LH nylon receiver wall before re-installing the cover.

My favorite feature is the easily-removed (and replaced) barrel, for E-Z-Peazy cleaning.

Last edited by pietro; 10-29-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Besides the Ruger 10/22, the Nylon 66 is the only .22 autoloader I would trust to be reliable.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Besides the Ruger 10/22, the Nylon 66 is the only .22 autoloader I would trust to be reliable.
    I'd put the Browning .22 Auto in that group, too. Plus, the design of the Browning is far simpler than the other two, especially the Nylon 66. All steel construction and you can take it completely apart with no tools.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The Browning for sure but what about the Marlin 60. It has been around for a very long time. This often is a strong suggestion they are well made and reliable.

Take Care

Bob

You inspired me to get my old trusty out of it's home- the farm truck- and give it a spin. I had a couple of Mini Mags that I had to fire twice; so I tore it down and cleaned it like I described- and it's back to 100%. Mine is obviously altered with shortened barrel, a Sako Mosin Nagant front sight, a Redding shotgun peep, and barbecue paint for rust prevention. This and two Remington bolt actions are actually the only .22 rimfire rifles that i own. And I'm alright with it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

My Dad bought a nylon 66 for my brother and I to use rabbit hunting in the winters of Indiana. Was a great gun, light weight,easy to use, and ours was very accurate. To bad when my brother got older he took it and sold it. Good friends are hard hard to come by, him and you and the family will be in our thoughts.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast