WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to 38 Reloading

Boolit Mold

Question New to 38 Reloading

I recently got a Charter Arms 38 Undercover snubby, and I am looking to make my own reloads with a Lee Loader kit. I ordered some casted 148 grain SWC bullets from RimRock, and have some Titegroup and Accurate 2 powder. I want to reload VERY MILD loads to center-of-mass practice on a 30 foot target. I was wondering how many grains of these powders I might use, and how far I am supposed to seat the bullet into the brass. Please advise...

Boolit Master

Go to Accurate web site look up #2 for full wad cutters (DDWC or HBWC)

Boolit Master
    Unless you have a balance or electronic scale, you are pretty much constrained to whatever charge weight the scoop in your kit will throw. Don't worry, it'll be enough to do whatever you need to do.
    If you don't have a vernier caliper, it may also be difficult to judge overall length. Try comparing your first few completed rounds against a factory load with a similar projectile. If you have a small bubble level, and the rounds are flat-pointed enough, you might try resting the level on the nose of the two rounds & see if the bubble goes drastically one way or the other.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Welcome to the Forum, TRSmith! Glad to have another aspiring reloader aboard. Probably the best thing you could do would be to buy one of the new reloading manuals. I started with a .38 Special Lee Loader back in 1966, and acquired a few more in other calibers along the way. The problem is that they come with some suggested loads and a powder dipper, but that dipper may or may not be appropriate for powders that they don't list and bullet weights they don't list, with much more information being listed in a reloading manual. Lee has their own reloading manual, "Modern Reloading Second Edition" by Richard Lee, and that's a good one to have. The information contained in reloading manuals doesn't really change, but they become a little obsolete with the development and marketing of new powders. There are also online reference sources like Hogdon's to find the best load for any given powder. Right now there is a powder shortage, but is you're going to load 148 gr. cast bullets, then 2.5 gr. of Bullseye has always been a good load. I hope you find the enjoyment and satisfaction many of us have experienced in creating your own ammo. Best wishes.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Wadcutters usually weigh 148 grains. SWC usually weigh 158 grains. Which, exactly, do you have? This matters as overall length and load data are very different between the two bullet types.

Boolit Master
    I don't know which dipper Lee includes with their kits these days. BE CAREFUL if it is the 0.3 cc dipper. According to the Lee manual this dipper will throw charges of Tightgroup and Accurate No. 2 which EXCEED THE MAXIMUM CHARGE for either of these powders.

These are double ended wadcutters. I doesn't matter which end goes in the brass first. Seat them until almost all of the crimp groove (that's the groove closest to the end) is in the cartridge case. Then crimp the case until you can see that a little of the case has entered the crimp groove. You want to remove all of the flare that you put on the case when you expanded it plus a tiny bit more. There will probably be around an 1/8 inch of lead sticking out of the case when you are done.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Mold
    I have a digital scale, and the bullets have a lip the brass can't go beyond, so I figure you push the bullet up to the lip. The Hodgdon site suggested 2.7 to 3.3 grains of Titegroup, but RimRock said not to go below 3.1.

Boolit Mold
    My SWC are 148, and shouldn't the brass come up to the wider edge that protrudes a bit as the bullet tapers to its flat "point"?

Boolit Mold
    That sound helpful...thanks.

Boolit Master

I settled on 2.9 grains of Titegroup under a 148 grain HBWC to run through my S&W 52-2 a while ago. Very accurate to 45 feet and easy shooting. Bullet speed is 710 to 720 fps out of a 5” barrel. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison but should work fine for what you want.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you do have a powder measure, you can make a custom dipper out of a .22 case and put a handle on it.

I have always seated WC’s so the crimp just past the shoulder of the bullet.
    Don Verna

Here is a link to a great reloader and shooter's page where he provides some articles and data on the 38 Special as well as other things. The writer's name is Ed Harris.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...creekdiary.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Here is a link to a great reloader and shooter's page where he provides some articles and data on the 38 Special as well as other things. The writer's name is Ed Harris.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...creekdiary.htm
    Thank you for this,very good read!

Boolit Grand Master
    A 148 SWC is a bit odd as to weight. That weight is more standard for a wadcutter. If a SWC is what you have, and not a wadcutter, three grains of Titegroup makes a fine load. Actually that load works if you have a wadcutter as well. A wadcutter is crimped in the top groove and protrudes very little out of the case. A SWC protrudes notably. A wadcutter is shaped like a 55 gallon drum. A semi wadcutter is shaped like a cylinder with a smaller cylinder or tapered cone nose atop it.

Any chance you have a link to the exact bullet? Things seem a little vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Thank you for this,very good read!
    You are welcome. I go back and read it over again every so often. Lots of great knowledge there.

I shoot about 1K of double ended plain base wadcutters cast in a six cavity mold. 3 grains bullseye is a bit more than the 2.7-2.8 that many use but a female friend doesn’t complain shooting these in a lightweight colt agent 38 with full wrap around cobra wood stocks. Switching to 158 SWC and 4.3 grs. 231 doesn’t cause her to complain either. Wadcutters make such sharp holes on paper but a semi wadcutter does almost as well.

Boolit Mold

Still New...

I recently got a Charter Arms 38 Undercover snubby, and I am looking to make my own reloads with a Lee Loader kit. I ordered some casted 148 grain SWC bullets from RimRock, and have some Titegroup and Accurate 2 powder. I want to reload VERY MILD loads to center-of-mass practice on a 30 foot target. I was wondering how many grains of these powders I might use, and how far I am supposed to seat the bullet into the brass. Please advise...

First off, thanks to everyone who sent me some info yesterday to my above post-it's all adding to my stock of knowledge.
    To clarify: I do have a digital scale and so won't be relying on those Lee Loader measuring cups, and RimRock does indeed make a 148 grain, 38/357 SWC bullet.

New Question: Titegroup suggests a min of 2.7 and a max of 3.3 for a 148 grain LHBWC. Is the 2.7 load a "low normal" or is it a very wimpy load? More precisely, can I go a bit below 2.7 to get even less recoil and whatnot and accurately hit paper at a self-defense distance of 30 feet or so? Do any of you shoot a 38 snubby at 0.2-0.3 grains less than the manufacturers minimum of any powder?

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the challenges to very light loads is consistency. The shallow seating depth and low pressure of lightly loaded SWC’s makes higher velocity variations apparent, which is minimized when a more deeply seated WC is used.

And Titegroup varies at low charge weight/low pressures as well. In other words, too low will get nonproductive at some point leading to sooty cases and inconsistency with lightly loaded SWC’s.

Loading manuals often suggest minimums based on this sort of thing.

The HBWC can take a lighter charge than a SWC and maintain good ballistic consistency. Do not confuse WC appropriate charges with SWC appropriate charges. The different seating depth is why.

Yes I shoot a little lower than some listed charges with light loads but after extensive trials prefer a wadcutter when doing so.
    Last edited by 35remington; 10-25-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Not certain if this will help.
    I use 2.8 of Titegroup under a 125 grain RNFP for a very light, very accurate practice load. It is about like shooting a 22lr.
    The point of impact matches the full power 38 special 150-158 grain boolit loads in my revolver, one of which is a 3 inch model 60 Smith.
    This load is substantially under the suggested starting load(4.3 of Titegroup) on the Hodgdon data site.

Boolit Mold
    So could using a couple of tenths below the manufacturer's recommended minimum cause any issue besides lousy accuracy? Could the SWC get stuck in the barrel or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast