Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer hunting with an original 1873 44-40

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Like stated in previous posts above, I am very partial to lung shots, due to being a die hard bowhunter of 30+ years. I have shot the hear out of a deer, and had them run 250 yds on adrenaline. Never had a deer make it over 60 yds, with a lung shot. I dont like to mess meat up either. Either one will do the job, but I would take a lung shot behind the shoulder.
    I don’t see how this stands up to reason though. A deer without a functioning heart cannot push oxygen through to the brain, whereas a lung shot just reduces the amount of oxygen they can receive, and I can tell you as one who has twice had a lung spontaneously deflate that my oxygen levels, though unique, were still in the 98% range, and had everyone doubting a deflated lung as I could easily walk and talk, most can’t do either. So how would a deer with even just 30% do vs one getting nothing because the heart can’t work properly? I think your results were circumstantial.

Boolit Bub
    Hi folks .
    First off I would like to thank everyone for their replies
    Secondly , I would like to apologize for taking so long to get back to this thread. I haven't had much of a chance in the last week to get access to a computer

One reason for asking this question , was that I wasn't sure what kind of results I would get from this bullet .
    It has a flat on the nose , but it is nowhere near the size of some of the wfn bullets I have .
    Even at a 30-1 alloy I was not sure if it would expand at all on a double lung shot, and maybe just "pencil thru" the lungs without doing the type of
    damage I would like to see.
    I have shot quite a few deer over the last 50+ years and the lung shots worked well, but I was mostly using a high velocity round with expanding bullets.

I know that a double lung shot will kill the deer , but without knowing how much , if any, expansion I might get with this 30-1 slug I was concerned about how far a deer might run after being hit with this round.

again ,Thanks for all the responses

Joe

Boolit Bub
    Hi All

Just thought I would update this post .
    I did manage to get a deer with the 44-40 last day of the season .
    It was a small doe, but on the last day you can't be too fussy .
    I didn't just want a deer , I wanted a deer with this particular 44-40 .
    Like I mentioned the the original post, it was made in 1884 , and it would be real interesting to know how long it has been since it was hunted with .

As it turns out I did not hit it in either the shoulder ,or make a good lung shot on it .
    The shot was only about 60-70 yds or so .
    I didn't exactly have a "text book " shot at it, and either between me pulling it a bit ,or hitting some brush on the way to the deer the bullet ended up going through the liver .

The deer ran maybe 100 to no more than 150 yds and dropped.
    It did leave a pretty good blood trail in the snow .

The liver wasn't destroyed , like it would have been with a high velocity round , and you could probably have salvaged some of it .

I was happy with the outcome , the old 44-40 with black power and lead bullet did its job, I doubt the deer actually ran for more than 10-20 seconds before dropping .

I don't know how long it has been since this rifle has harvested a deer , I believe it has probably been a " safe queen " for quite a while , but it will be back out again
    this next deer season to try for Buck this time .

thanks

Joe

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the deer! Glad you had a good result with gun, boolit & deer. As I said earlier (Post#4) we don't always get the shot we want, but we're thankful for the one we get. Now don't quit hunt'n take that fine instrument & create some coyote funerals.

Boolit Master
    Very much appreciate the follow up report. And congratulations on the deer. Keeps this game engaging, doesn't it?

Late to this thread, and congratulations on the deer.
    The last thing most of us needs is another caliber.... I spent the last few years narrowing my component inventory.

Through unfortunate circumstances, in the collection bought as a favor to an old Marine friends wife, I should have a nice shooting 44/40 Uberti yellow boy, along with at least two new Colt SSAs (44/40 and 38/40).
    I know the stash of brass, bullets, and dies (and likely molds etc too) is extensive (same for 38/40).
    So, assuming I have the opportunity, next year's hunting will be 45/70, 44/40, and 45 Colt.. and of course 30/30.
    All will get a workout on pigs and Hill Country rocks before then,
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    I don’t see how this stands up to reason though. A deer without a functioning heart cannot push oxygen through to the brain, whereas a lung shot just reduces the amount of oxygen they can receive, and I can tell you as one who has twice had a lung spontaneously deflate that my oxygen levels, though unique, were still in the 98% range, and had everyone doubting a deflated lung as I could easily walk and talk, most can’t do either. So how would a deer with even just 30% do vs one getting nothing because the heart can’t work properly? I think your results were circumstantial.
    Not going to try to explain the how's or why's since I fully admit I don't the why. I do know that I have heart shot deer and antelope that have gone way further than I would have believed possible with the heart destroyed. Back in the 70's when I started deer hunting I used a 30-06 with 150 grain soft points. After maybe 1/2 dozen animals that went between 250 and 500 yards missing there heart I went with shoulder or lungs shots. In maybe 175 shoulder or lung shots I don't every remember one making it a hundred yards with the exception of a couple of times I used bullets designed for much heavier game. They acted as FMJ's and I got very lucky I didn't lose them.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12