RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: What would you do?

Boolit Master

What would you do?

I shoot pretty regular at an indoor range. I have known the guy who owns and runs the place for years. He noticed the coated bullets I was shooting (powder coat and hi-tek) and was interested. Last time I was at the range he asked me if I would be interested in putting on a seminar on coating bullets. He has a gem dandy ventilation system and plenty of room. I don't know what he would charge for this but, I am troubled with this idea. I am 69 years and have been reloading since I was 16. A large part of what I know was given freely to me by more experienced guys. I could use the money but I don't like the idea of making money off of other people interested in coating bullets. I am not asking anyone to make the decision for me. I was just curious what some other people's opinion would be.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

I would gladly have paid somone to help me learn how to PC or Hitek when I started. I would have saved a bunch of time, and I probably would have broken even, if not saved money by not buying powders and equipment i didnt nead.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That might be what is needed to get someone started. I had many questions before I began and wished someone could show me some things.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

If its a members only range, I'd do it and not charge much if anything,
    as long as the range didn't charge much if anything to attend.

If its a public range, I'd suggest the range master post a notice and have anyone interested sign up,
    see what the interest level is, and go from there.

For all your efforts:
    If 10 people sign up as having an interest- probably 3-4 would actually show up for the class.

There's lots of reloaders out there, but not too many folks casting.
    Those that do are probably already aware of powder coating and are already doing it, or like me-- probably never will.

Another option for those interested in teaching:
    Make a youtube video, and make the link to it available.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-24-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

nobody is forced to take the class, those that do take the class are wanting to learn in a hands on setting, if you do teach the class you owe it to the students to do the best job you can and dont worry about somebody making money from it, he has to keep the doors open.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes advice is worth what you pay for it.

If I had to pack up my stuff and set it up somewhere I would want to be compensated. These are strangers right? In fact, i doubt I would go through the hassle.

I would never charge someone who comes to my home to learn something, but they would be a friend or someone I trust.

Back in the dark ages, when you and I started this hobby (I am 70), my mentor never came to my home to show me what to do. He told me to read the Lyman manual, buy a Lyman furnace, ladle, Star lubrisizer, a 10 cavity H&G mold, gloves, and a pile of commercial alloy. The only thing he helped me with was slugging my barrel as I did not have a micrometer. Then he told to go cast bullets.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I would have anyone who attends sign something holding you harmless if anything happened using anything they learn from your class. Maybe paranoid but I just don't trust people much anymore. Good luck.

Boolit Master

There is nothing wrong with making a few dollars off of it. If all prices were reasonable I would have no qualms. Just make sure they get their moneys worth.

Range has to pay for lights, people and repairs. We always need powder, reloading tools and lead.

I am sure its going to take some time and effort to create the lecture and PowerPoint. You didn't gain your knowledge for free, it took time and effort and research, trial and error. When I first started reloading I didn't know I could make bullets. I was learning t cast with Google and YouTube before i found this site.

I never had a mentor. I had google, youtube and then I found Lee Reloading and Lyman Cast bullet handbook. I was chasing my tail loading inaccurate bullets when I found this site and learned.. Saved all the articles I found online for references. I think I downloaded the entire LASC website in PDF. I have half of this website. All categorized.

Only down side with spreading the bullet casting bug is the extra competition for lead. In Florida we all ready have to fight the fisher man.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rcmaveric; 10-24-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    My view is,you would be charging for your time. That's fine.

That kind of seminar takes lots of preparing. My friend is a teacher, I gave a few hour reloading lesson at school once. It took me days to build a portable bench and get prepared. Setting up a casting / coating workshop is a bigger job.

I was left with a feeling that -compared to books and videos- nobody saw anything properly. And there was also this little liability "ghost" around,responsibility bothering me a tad... if something happens "he said so at the seminar..."

Money or not,I'd not do it again. And I didn't get paid, I spent time and money instead. I could have had a lunch which I didn't want.

But if you enjoy teaching,go for it.

Good points, also a paying person may get them further into the learning curve than hunting the web, and get value for their dollars. If you did give a seminar you could (as I do) point them to this page. It's win win for everyone.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    Slide, since I invented pc bullets right after I invented the internet (LOL) you most definitely have my blessing to use and share everything you have learned with others. And if you can make a buck off of what you learned so much the better for you. Would you say I should feel guilt because I used what I learned in school in my business to make a profit, of course not. So why should you feel any guilt about sharing your knowledge you got from others? None of us has a copyright because where it all came from, who knows?

And it will make you feel even better, teaching PC is a safety issue as well. Lead is not being handled because the polymer jacket encases the lead. When fired the bullet is riding on the polymer and only when the bullet impacts is the coating broken. This has got to make a safer range for all! So go for it.

Boolit Bub
    Wow! An indoor range that lets you shoot reloads?! Around here you can only shoot factory loads at any of our indoor ranges. Liability for the range owner is too high. I totally understand the hesitance due to that alone. People sue for any reason anymore and don't take any personal responsibility. If your only showing the coating process and not the casting process, or reloading process, you might be safe. Until someone burns their fingers on the hot cookie sheet. Then look out!!!

Boolit Master
    Slide - consider sharing your powder coating knowledge with interested shooters . I'm sure anyone taking the time to attend is already interested in shooting . I wouldn't stay away from the reloading aspects of coated boolits ether , just understanding the boolit fit ( for cast boolits alone ) - is wall worth a weakened course .
    I'd suggest going further after sorting out the I JUST WANT FREE BULLET PEOPLE . You might even enjoy yourself
    Be safe

Well I see it like this.

You get paid for your time, the hassle of moving tools, materials into and out of classroom.
    And in return you can give each of those people a very good idea of what getting into PC would require in terms of equipment, skill, etc. And you can warn them of all the pitfalls you had to find the hard way.

Now I don't know what your range owner will charge for this class. But the cost of higher education is not cheap.
    And he has expenses also, plus what he is paying you.

Seems to me like a golden opportunity to

A Put the range owner owing you a favor, you in his good graces.

B Help a lot of people who are new to PC and may be having problems.

C Anyone with serious problems that can't be handled in the time allowed could be invited
    to meet with you at either your place, or his place, where you can really dig to his issues.

In short, you have the potential to do a LOT of good. I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to turn it down.
    But like you I would want to know what he is charging. And adjust my fee accordingly.

I think 50% of what the range owner is charging per person would be reasonable. If he charges 50$ and there are only 4 there, your share would be 100$.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Could haggle in there some range scraps. I would work for lead.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    I don't see a problem with being paid for your time, but if it bothers you then just offer to do it for free. It would generate some good will, maybe get you an opportunity to mine the back stop for lead as Rcmaveric said, and help other shooters.

Boolit Master
    I probably would not do it. Mainly due to personal liability. You have no idea who any of these people are, their backgrounds (including health) or their "common sense".

Yes, I agree it is nice to mentor people along the paths of life and I have done it a lot. But, I pick and choose who those people are going to be.

Boolit Master
    If there is a charge for the attendees, then don't worry about, no one will be there. Who would pay with all the information on the internet today??? I am in small town Iowa, I only knew one other caster in town and I am guessing he may have "hung it up", he is in his mid 80s and his wheels are just not there now. If they don't cast, then PCing bullets doesn't make much sense. If you are shake-n-bake, throw-in the counter-top oven and a bag of other accessories and you are ready. The baking will take longer than the set-up and coating combined. Just don't over complicate it with the oven temp and putting a senor in a bullet business, keep it simple if you try it. Maybe folks can buy unlubed lead boolits to PC??? Sure wouldn't lose any sleep on this.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Banned
    If you're bringing all the equipment and supplies, setting up and tearing down, why not work a deal you get free range time for a time. You're time and effort is worth something too.