Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H-110 and W296

Boolit Grand Master

Yes W296- H110, W231-HP38, W760- H414 are the same powders
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Back in the 1970's the powders were different My buddy went with H-110 in 357 Magnum I went with WW-296 I could use about three more grains of H-110 then WW 296 before primer flattened in my S&W model 28 with Sierra 150 JHC . I still have a full round steel can of that powder it is darker in color the grains do look close in each.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    /\ YES /\
    No more discussion needed
    Not even close. I'll bet this thread goes 3-4 pages at least.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Around 20 years ago ATK joined General Dynamics and they acquire Primex tech. Neither Winchester nor Hodgdon make gun powder. In fact both are distributed by Hodgdon, look on the back of the bottle both will have 6430 vista dr, shawnee Ks for an address. The powder being sold is made at St Marks Powder inc, they have a +\- 2.5% variance or the batch is scrapped standard. The same powder is sold commercially under two different labels, H110 and W296 (for OEM/mil it is known as WC296 but has a wider +/-3% burn rate spec). Any lot to lot difference should be inside the 5% tolerance they allow.

https://www.gd-ots.com/propellant-an...r-propellants/

Before that there is a pretty good chance they were different as some of my old load manuals have data that is several grains apart for the same bullet at the same velocities. That said, there are other powders that have changed as well over time. Like Hercules 2400 cleaned up a bit when it changed to Alliant 2400 and W231 has cleaned up too, load some old metal can 231 side by side with the modern stuff and its easy to see the results.
    Last edited by jmorris; 10-29-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    I thought part of the reason was due to more accurate ways of measuring barrel pressures causing some revisions due to discovering older data was too high.

Boolit Buddy

I develop an accurate load at 70-80 degrees out with 296 and in Nov. the group opens up considerably. Do the same with 110 and no problem. 296 always was temperature sensitive but not 110. Mine are 10 year old cans but so what. They may be close but are not the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12