MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Me Boolit Design

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

New to Me Boolit Design

While looking at moulds for sale I came across this boolit design that I have not seen before. Can someone tell me something about it? What is it meant to be used for?
    Thanks
    https://www.castbulletengineering.co.../1124-458-520w

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

"Wasp Waist" design..........better aerodynamics.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master

That is a big boolit. I assume it might be for a 45/70 or bigger cased cartridge . To state the obvious.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

What is it supposed to do better than other designs?
    Better mousetrap or a way to part you with your money?
    Might be either one or both, better buy it and let us know how it works.

Would/could that design feature lend itself to boolit slump? Just curious.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Bub
    That looks like something NEI used to offer. I'll have to dig out my old catalogs and check.

Aerodynamics. circa 1964 I was working on the (memory fog struck) F102 fighter plane and heard stories of it's beginnings. It was supposed to be able to break the sound barrier but on completion of flight tests it would not. Well back to the drawing board. They redesigned the fuselage into a coke bottle shape instead of like a straight wall cartridge. First testing was successful in going faster than the speed of sound. In my devious mind I conjured up and image of a boolit shaped as such years ago, but filed the idea away.

Boolit Master

Also looks like the old rocket designs. It has to do with aerodynamics. Aside from wind friction, shock wave and other are dynamics I don't understand and pulling out of thin air. If the nose portion is heavy enough and the bullet balanced, if you lost rotational stability then you would get a shuttlcock affect for accuracy.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    It was done to increase stability with a longer bullet.

Supersonic airplanes have a coke bottle shape as a constant area rule. The coke bottle shape is narrow where the wing is, resulting in a more constant cross sectional area at that point. Not the same thing as a narrow waist bullet.

I suspect it went away due to being forced out of round by the pressure spike.

Boolit Buddy
    Check an old Herter's catalog and you'll find them. Nothing new under the sun.

Banned
    its not new, saw it 30 years ago in a catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by photomicftn View Post
    Check an old Herter's catalog and you'll find them. Nothing new under the sun.
    Yes Sir- Herter’s “Wasp Waist” jacketed bullets. According to George- the “World’s Finest”!

Boolit Grand Master

It looks interesting, even if it’s just different. I wrote the manufacturer and asked for more details. Looks to me as if the front of the boolit is supposed to be a bore rider and the driving bands are larger to engage the grooves. I may have to get one just to give it a try. Unfortunately, I’m in Europe and the price goes up because of shipping and duty costs.

Boolit Master
    I believe the nose is supposed to just ride the top of the lands helping it keep from slumping.
    There looks like a ring to even hold a little lube.

I have lee mented a mold so that it had a ring on the end of the nose and would engage The bore and it worked better than being small as it was.
    Really made it shoot.
    The plus side was I could remove an unfired case and it was easier to seat right out
    And feed by hand

Lyman had a wasp waste bullet also not that long ago with lots of small grooves for ALOX by the look of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Here’s the response I got from the manufacturer.

It is a bore riding design, it was introduced to allow the maximum amount of Blackpowder in a case, with most of the projectile riding the bore of the barrel.

The driving bands can’t be changed, it’s the front nose band that can be altered to suit different bore diameters.

Boolit Master

Seems like it's also a method of reducing the bearing-length so that it stabilizes in whatever the standard twist-rate is of the rifles that fire that behemoth.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy
    Someone's idea of a better mousetrap. Does it work? Maybe but I KNOW a 530gr .458 bullet from a mould by Steve Brooks, Paul Jones, et al or a Lyman Postell works. If not it's your rifle or your caster/reloader.

Boolit Master
    I have a .30 caliber NEI mould for one of those “Sonic” boolits. I tried them in my .30-40 on 500 M Ram silhouettes in my occasional recreational activity that I call “Annoying the Animals.” Hit percentage was markedly less than for more conventional cast boolits.

I remember a benchrest competitor wrote that he got a partial box of Herter’s .22 cal jacketed “Sonic” bullets, of the same wasp-waist design. I probably have the exact details wrong but he said he loaded 5 of them ahead of his usual powder charge (“27 Clicks on the Culver” or some such), fired them out of his pet Heavy BR rifle and got a 5-shot 1-1/4” group. He quit right then, as he said he’d never gotten a larger than 3/8” group with any other loading in that rifle.

Another futuristic idea by George L. Herter, alas, relegated to the rubbish heap of shooting history. But he had a million of ‘em!

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I have a .30 caliber NEI mould for one of those “Sonic” boolits. I tried them in my .30-40 on 500 M Ram silhouettes in my occasional recreational activity that I call “Annoying the Animals.” Hit percentage was markedly less than for more conventional cast boolits.

I remember a benchrest competitor wrote that he got a partial box of Herter’s .22 cal jacketed “Sonic” bullets, of the same wasp-waist design. I probably have the exact details wrong but he said he loaded 5 of them ahead of his usual powder charge (“27 Clicks on the Culver” or some such), fired them out of his pet Heavy BR rifle and got a 5-shot 1-1/4” group. He quit right then, as he said he’d never gotten a larger than 3/8” group with any other loading in that rifle.

Another futuristic idea by George L. Herter, alas, relegated to the rubbish heap of shooting history. But he had a million of ‘em!
    And every one of them was the very bestest, greatest. prettiest, and longest lasting product on the market.

Boolit Master

Wasp waist. Looks like NEI's work. Has an NEI driving band in front./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by DanLee View Post
    That looks like something NEI used to offer. I'll have to dig out my old catalogs and check.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast