MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Anyone shooting Accurate molds with different boolit designs in the same mold?

I'm A Honcho!

Anyone shooting Accurate molds with different boolit designs in the same mold?

Greetings Gents,

I went to Accurates site today and saw that I could add a different boolit design to the same mold block.

This creates some interesting thoughts. In these uncertain times having one mold that could cast for all of your guns seems like a good idea.

Share your thoughts and experiences please. If you have one please share your experiences.

Bluejay
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Grand Master
    I could see it if you have a couple of different caliber single shot rifles that you don't plan on shooting much. Any sort of repeater or an often used caliber, I think you would be better off getting multiple molds for each specific caliber.

I did think for a while about getting one of his molds with a few of the options for the .32 Long Colt for my Remington No. 2, but I figured I would find out the one boolit that worked for me and then never use the other cavities.

If I run into one of the old Ideal or Lyman combo molds that interest me I would arbitrarily ignore it, but I don't go looking for them either.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I had one. A 35 caliber 3 cavity model. 2 cavities were for pistol and one for rifle, it worked ok. You need to figure out what your using the most of.

Boolit Master

A few weeks ago I had Tom cut a mold for a couple of new 45-70's I've been shooting. I'm not sure these will be high volume rifles but I had him cut one cavity for a 365 grain gas check design and another cavity similar to the Lyman 292 grain plain base bullet but I had him delete the bevel base. The mold works well and I've cast a couple hundred of each bullet. The only issue I can think of is if I wanted the two bullets from a different alloy. I have used only one cavity of a multi-cavity mold before but have found that easiest if I'm using the far cavity. This is the second mold I've had Tom cut with two different cavities. The other is for a couple of heavy 444 bullets, one gas checked and the other plain based.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I had Tom make me two 4-cav molds for .32 ACP, with 4 bullet styles to use with 8 different pistols, ranging from an FN 1910 to a Beretta M81. Works pretty well for me, and the different pistols.

Boolit Master

Hi.
    I had Tom make me a 2 cavity mould for testing .45-70 Paper Patch bullets. One cavity has the 45-405P, and the other the 45-486XR spec'd to 20:1 alloy. Cost was very reasonable, turn around quick, and best of all, it casts beautiful bullets. For those who say it's a waste of money, I challenge you to buy two high quality custom SC cavity moulds for the same price or less. BTW, you can cast from only a single cavity if you want to. It's definitely an option.
    Ed

Boolit Master
    I don't change designs per se. But when I order from Tom, I frequently mix cavities with PB and GC bullets. Especially, when I have a pistol and carbine of the same chambering. If I order a three cavity, I'll go two PB and one GC. Normally, the pistol (PB) bullet will see more usage.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I have the 230F and the 230FG in the same mold for my 45 Autos.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of DC Accurates, a NOE 3-banger with one HP, and a DC Lyman or two.

It’s one of those concepts that sounds good, but in practice, I’m always running out of one design while having more than I need of the other(s). It’s rather hard to use just one cavity of a multi cavity mould. When I try, I get a lot of partials, extras and extra sprues to separate.

If you can figure out how to shoot exactly the same number of each design, they’re a great idea.

Works fine but if they are greatly different (like 300gr & 100gr) one will harden before the other.
    Whatever!

I'm A Honcho!
    Thanks gents. That answered my question. I think I have a pretty good idea of what shoots well out of my guns. I’m going to write out my list one more time. So far I’m at one 30 caliber, 2x358 cavities for 9mm/38/357, and 2 x 432 cavities.

This should cover 90 percent of my shooting.

Doesn’t need to be perfect. Just good enough that in a situation that I can’t have my entire set up with me, that I can still get by.

Figure you can never be too prepared.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Tom cut a 2x cavity mold for me, both clones of the Ideal Doc Hudson bullets ... the 32-40 and 38-55 breech loading tapered bullets .... Perfect
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I have a mold that cast a 40 cal 370 grain and a 400 grain 40 cal. Use them for pure lead for paper patch 40-70 Sharps Bottleneck and a 40-90 Sharps bottleneck. Get along fine but do not use up a lot of bullets.

Boolit Bub
    One five-cavity mold that covers the options would be great for a hunting camp, bugout bag, or travel kit, too.

I have a couple 2PB/2GC molds and a couple Lyman and H&G double cavity combo molds. They're great so long as you want approximately equal numbers of everything.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a few multi-design molds, but as many others, I believe all are the same overall bullet but some GC some PB. One I have from Accurate molds is a combo one GC, and one PB, but I had the GC cavity converted to a hollow point. The PB cavity is untouched. In most instances, I have cast normally, and sorted bullets later. In the case of the Accurate 2 cavity mold with 1 cavity a HP, I usually cast that one cavity at a time.

The only one I regret is a 4 cavity combo mold from Aresnal mold, 2 GC and 2 PB cavities. I should have simply bought that as all 4 PB. Other than that, I do not regret the combo molds.

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I don't change designs per se. But when I order from Tom, I frequently mix cavities with PB and GC bullets. Especially, when I have a pistol and carbine of the same chambering. If I order a three cavity, I'll go two PB and one GC. Normally, the pistol (PB) bullet will see more usage.

Winelover
    This is what I did, only mine is for an 8mm Mauser. 2 flat point bore gc's and one pb. You end up running the same alloy, which isn't a perfect situation. I might do it again for my 45 Colt revolver?