Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Shore D Durometer - Hardness Tester

Boolit Mold

Shore D Durometer - Hardness Tester

30-35$ off Amazon. Shore D Durometer. Can confirm it's usable for lead - I cast near pure lead bullets from sticky type lead WW measured near 65 shore D (BHN assumed 5-6). Linotype bullets same process 90 shore D (bhn 22? 25?)... I put bullet in vise, file meplat down slightly, then push durometer down rapidly onto bullet.. Use "first" value given, as holding on bullet changes number down slightly.. Anyone else used Shore D? Got direct verified BHN comparison?

Boolit Buddy
    The Shore Durometer test was devised for plastics and rubbers, I've not heard of it being used on metals, even very soft ones. I'm not saying it won't work, but I would want a good database of experience with it before I started putting faith in it. Of course our purposes aren't exactly critical, so it might be a nice easy way to get an idea of hardness.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Banned
    those numbers are close to lead & lead alloys

what you are referring to is Stick On Wheel Weights SOWW

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    HF used to sell those things years ago. Like said above - for elastomers & plastics only. If you have the resources, you can take various Pb alloys and your Durometer thingy to a known accurate hardness tester (FOR METALS!) and build your own tables. Lots of work to reinvent something that already exists today in at least 4 different brands of Pb metal hardness testers

I am stickin' with my (almost) NIST traceable CabineTree-style tester for solid repeatable fast tests in my shop and at the scrap yards.

I have an antique laboratory (analog dial type from ca. 1900) Durometer in my instrument collection I use for soft stuff, but not metals.

Good luck. If you develop a traceable/provable/repeatable calibration table, please post it on here. Others would be interested, I am sure.

banger

Before you go through all that work, read about using different hardness pencils.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I always wondered if it would work

from www.elcometerusa.com
    Type D Shore Durometers are capable of measuring medium to very hard, highly resistive materials. Examples of materials measureable by Type D Durometers include thick vinyls and rubbers (around 50 Shore Hardness Units)

" and even soft metals " and high-density polyethyene

(up to 100 Shore Hardness Units). For accurate readings, the material under test should be at minimum 0.25" (6.4mm) thick.
    mike