RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel weight culture ...

Boolit Master

Well; I am good to go on Isotope Lead for some time; but I MAY have to resort to melting down the 1000 lbs or so of Lead Diving Weights I still have in storage - gave up my SCUBA INSTRUCTOR status several years ago so I no longer use the Dive Weights for training - but still have all the equipment. These weights were all cast from either the Oldddddd Lead Telephone Cable or Wheel Weights - NO ZINKER-STINKERS in those weights.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Had my first wheel weight smelting session this morning. Was supposed to be sorted but I found maybe 20 lbs of zinc ones. Out of 113 lbs I wound up with 75 lbs. of nice ingots. Fished a half dozen zinc ones out of the melt that I had missed. A bit more work than soft clean lead but worth it to have that antimony in there. Dumped all the dross, zinc and clips in the trash. Paid $40 for that 113 lbs.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    . Paid $40 for that 113 lbs.
    And what $$ amount do you value your time and effort and fuel to acquire and process theses ingots?

Not worth it to me, even at you 35¢/ pound average basic cost.

I sell my engineering time at $150/hour to customers, so that is what I value my spare time at also.

If one is retired and tons of time on their hands, then maybe it might be worth all the effort/time/money/fuel to render a few lousy pounds of Pb out of buckets and buckets of garbage. I would rather buy it on here in ingot form already cleaned & processed........if I ever have to. Got tons of the stuff stored away.

Boolit Master

I've given up on finding WW in SoCal. My Mechanic gave me 5lbs of COWW. Got a total of 9 COWW's. The rest were either Zinc or Iron.
    Scrap yards Wil NOT sell lead of any kind.
    Some sort of LA County Ordnance.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    And what $$ amount do you value your time and effort and fuel to acquire and process theses ingots?

Not worth it to me, even at you 35¢/ pound average basic cost.

I sell my engineering time at $150/hour to customers, so that is what I value my spare time at also.

If one is retired and tons of time on their hands, then maybe it might be worth all the effort/time/money/fuel to render a few lousy pounds of Pb out of buckets and buckets of garbage. I would rather buy it on here in ingot form already cleaned & processed........if I ever have to. Got tons of the stuff stored away.
    I am retired. The cost of the propane is negligible, been using the same partial tank for 3 years and probably smelted a quarter ton of lead. As far as the time goes, well, a hobby need not be practical, only pleasurable and I do enjoy making ingots. I suppose one could just buy commercial cast boolits and work a couple extra hours now and then. I'm sure there are plenty of guys here who would be happy to make your boolits for you for $75 an hour and you would save $75 an hour by working instead.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 10-29-2020 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I've given up on finding WW in SoCal. My Mechanic gave me 5lbs of COWW. Got a total of 9 COWW's. The rest were either Zinc or Iron.
    Scrap yards Wil NOT sell lead of any kind.
    Some sort of LA County Ordnance.
    I gave up on ww here in So Kalif about 7y ago. Just way to much non lead to bother with. I have maybe 1500# of diff alloys, more than I will probably use but I keep taking it if I find it free or cheap.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Had my first wheel weight smelting session this morning. Was supposed to be sorted but I found maybe 20 lbs of zinc ones. Out of 113 lbs I wound up with 75 lbs. of nice ingots. Fished a half dozen zinc ones out of the melt that I had missed. A bit more work than soft clean lead but worth it to have that antimony in there. Dumped all the dross, zinc and clips in the trash. Paid $40 for that 113 lbs.
    I scored close to 250 pounds for about the same price this spring. I haven't been that lucky since, but I'm going to keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I quit looking at life like deposits and withdrawals in a checkbook several years before I retired.

Then, as now; a lot of the things I do, I do them simply because I want to and never consider the cost.
    As far as scrounging and casting goes- its a lot like buying a good steak or target shooting:
    If I really wanted to save money, I wouldn't do it at all.

Another benefit is that it keeps me out of those crooked BINGO parlors.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a couple of buckets of ww that I got some years ago
    those aren't sorted but I do have another that is sorted
    I actually never use ww I always seem to either go to
    binary alloys or isotope lead
    well some day I may use them but for now I am happy
    with my binary alloys
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I have less than $20 in the several hundred pounds of lead having most of my lead given to me or found on the roadway in my many years of roadway construction. If I had had to buy lead from the beginning I may not have gotten into casting. It's a hobby, from wheel weight to meat.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Got to tell you, visiting that scrap yard on U.S. Hwy. #2 that a member here clued me in on was pretty enjoyable. The owner scrounges lead too for his stock car racing hobby. Down to earth fellas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12