Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: A night of smelting

Boolit Master

A night of smelting

After closing the range this last Tuesday, my son and I walked the berms scrounging up bullets. We ended up with about 32# of bullets after 30 minutes of not too much effort. Now, I only have a small Lee melting pot but this was enough lead where I could see a need for something with a bit more melting capacity. I took an empty Coleman lantern propane tank, cut off the top and welded a long handle onto it making a deep ladle. Nothing too pretty but quite effective.
    I started a fire in the fire pit in the back yard and my wife and I drank a few cold ones as I would put handfuls of the bullets into the melting container that was resting above a hot bed of coals. Every 10 minutes or so, I'd shake the "ladle" a bit before pouring molten lead out into a cupcake tin that I use for making ingots. Again, nothing fancy. It took an hour or so of sitting out with my wife on a nice evening recovering the lead. I was surprised by how the lead had shaken so cleanly out of so many copper jacketed bullets. In the small Lee pot, I have found it takes a fair amount of time to do so with needle nose pliers one at a time.
    I still have some lead to recover from what was left of the shakings but up front, I recovered 24# of lead. It still needs to be fluxed good and all mixed together, but the dirt, copper and other contaminants are muck less than they were before.

24# of cleaner lead.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201022_201610048_HDR.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	269977

What was left of the shakings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201022_201614956_TOP.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	269978

All things considered, a very relaxing evening.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Buddy
    I applaud your ingenuity.

Boolit Master
    Yeah... Been planning on loading .452 230 grain boolits.
    But last night, the one time I accidentally left my brand new 45ACP handgun in my truck, someone came down the road and broke into multiple cars. And took my newest 45... No reason to cast now.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Good job on the lead! If the jackets are really clean, they may be worth something to a recycler if you accumulate enough.

Drinking from a closed container poses a relatively small risk of lead ingestion, but it's worth remembering that handling lead and then food with bare hands increases the chance the more it's done.

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Boolit Blub Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    But last night, the one time I accidentally left my brand new 45ACP handgun in my truck, someone came down the road and broke into multiple cars. And took my newest 45... No reason to cast now.
    Ah man, that is terrible. Sorry to hear it. Maybe they will catch the guy and you’ll get your gun back. Here’s hoping

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    I have forgotten a pistol in the car a time or two. Sorry to hear that.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

man thats my worst nightmare sorry to here hope it found.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I like your ladle idea. Im gonna borrow that one. I dont really need it, but would be handy...

Boolit Grand Master

That sounds like a fun and productive evening. Sorry to hear about your pistol being stolen. Every story I hear about vehicle break ins makes me more thankful that I have enough garage space for mine.