Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: SRPs in place of SPPs

SRPs in place of SPPs

I loaded up a couple dozen .357s using Magtech small rifle primers. I was hoping they could be used in place of the impossible to find small pistol primers. I used 2 model 19s and a model 686. I experience a 40% failure rate. Some fired on the second try. Very disappointing.

I’ll try some CCI SRPs next.
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    Try federal, they are generally believed to be the easiest to fire.

If you get desperate I could prime some of your brass for you and send it back, not sure how to price that service but we can talk about it if you are interested.

Wow. That’s a generous offer. Fortunately, I’m in ok shape supply wise. I was just hoping to have a viable alternative.

Boolit Master

I've found that small rifle primers seem to work well in autos, but not so much in revolvers. I've used quite a few in 9mm.

I happened to find a guy who was selling some small rifle primers on a regional forum. I needed small pistol but those are impossible to find so I bought the small rifle. A couple weeks later another guy started a thread desperately looking for some small rifle, and willing to trade small pistol for them. That worked out very well.

Boolit Master
    I have used SRPs in .40 S&W in a Glock with absolutely no problems. Might be an entirely different story in a revolver though - or a different auto, for that matter.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    For any who are unaware, SRPs are factory in 327 Federal Magnum, that's why they all have such heavy hammer springs. Your 357s probably have nice trigger pulls because of nice light hammer spring. Add a few pounds to your hammer spring and you'll be hitting on all eight with your rifle primers, or all six or seven!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    For any who are unaware, SRPs are factory in 327 Federal Magnum, that's why they all have such heavy hammer springs. Your 357s probably have nice trigger pulls because of nice light hammer spring. Add a few pounds to your hammer spring and you'll be hitting on all eight with your rifle primers, or all six or seven!
    327 magnum runs 40-45k psi while 357 mag used to max out at 40k but was downgraded in the 1990s to 35k. Point is that 327 magnum really only needs the stronger cup if you’re loading to max pressure. I keep thinking about getting a 327 magnum.

For a revolver shooter addicted to the soft federal primers, this has got to be a tough time. For some reason Federal SPP are always the hardest to find around here.

Boolit Master

Interesting, I still have some Federal Match small rifle primers. I will try them in the old 9mm and new 38.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned
    rifle primers are thicker than pistol primers. IF your handgun leave a deep dent in SPP, SRP might work

https://www.sksboards.com/smf/index....6510#msg646510

If this link works, there’s some great info regarding primers.

Based on this info, I used THE thickest SRP for my test. Go figure... I have Federal and CCI SRPs to try.