Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Mistake? Lee Sizing Die and a Dillon Press

Boolit Mold

Rookie Mistake? Lee Sizing Die and a Dillon Press

Is there a way to use the Lee sizing die on a Dillon 550b? Since it doesn't have a "shell holder" i don't see a way to use the punch portion. I have never used a sizer, and wasn't sure how exactly it went together with the press. Now that it has arrived, I don't see a way to make it work.

Anyone out there have a solution? I don't have a single stage, and don't really want to buy one right now.

Thanks for your time.

Banned
    On the dillon, the shell plate is the "shell holder".

You're talking die and shell holder, not the same places on the press.

I've used Lee dies on my Dillon since forever, one thing, the die nuts need to be replaced for the round ones from other makers, the Lee provided nuts are too big in the four spaces in the Dillon
    Regards,

Gary

Taint no way. A single stage is your only option.

Take it back, you could use the die and punch with a mallet like a hand die.

Boolit Buddy
    I see you are in ne ohio. I am in western PA, so most likely not to far away. I have a cheap solution for you, sending you a pm.

A Lee Hand press, or even a used Lee Cast C press (mounted inverted under a table) is your friend.

I am not a believer in starting out on a progressive press.

There is so much to learn off a single stage before you get to that point.
    And it will make perfectly good ammo with fewer problems. Just not as fast.

You'll figure it out.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    i got a lee C press just to use their push through sizer.i also use it for fcd .

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    You're talking die and shell holder, not the same places on the press.

I've used Lee dies on my Dillon since forever, one thing, the die nuts need to be replaced for the round ones from other makers, the Lee provided nuts are too big in the four spaces in the Dillon
    Sorry about that. I was not clear on what I am trying to do.

I bought a Lee sizing die for resizing cast boolits for 9mm.

Lee Precision - 90046 SIZING DIE KIT .356

I am able to loosen the shellplate enough to get the first step of the punch under, but the second step won't go into area that would normally hold the cartridge. Since the punch appears to be just a device to shove the bullet through the die, has anyone used an alternative punch? I was thinking of possibly using the lathe and doing a wood dowel until it fits. But, I don't want to if there is a some common household object that i can use.

I have a picture that i will post, but can't get it at the moment.

Thanks for everyones feedback!
    Last edited by All Kinds; 10-23-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    This could be done, but probably not worth the hassle. The base of the "pusher rod" for the Lee bullet sizing die is designed to fit in the top of the ram of a standard single stage press--it has the same profile as a regular shell holder. The Dillon does not accept regular shell holders. You could remove the Dillon shell plate and use the shell plate platform to push the bullet through the die using the pusher rod, but there would be nothing to hold onto the pusher rod to pull it back out of the die for the next bullet, and you would probably have to pull it back out manually or use a dowel to push it back out from the top--probably not very efficient. And it would not work very well unless the pusher rod is long enough to push each bullet complete through the die--otherwise you would have to push each bullet back down through the die or use pliers or something to grab the bottom of the pusher rod and pull it back out.

If you had access to a lathe you could make or alter the pusher rod so it had the shape of a cartridge case that would fit in the Dillon shell plate. That would probably work, but I don't know if a little cartridge-size rim on the pusher rod would hold up to extended use--it might, but I suspect it would weaken and fail over time, plus you would need a lathe to do it.

As several have suggested, your best bet is probably to find a single stage press to use for bullet sizing--you wouldn't need a very big or powerful one, and you might find it useful for other tasks as well.
    Last edited by BP Dave; 10-23-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: correct typo

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    This could be done, but probably not worth the hassle. The base of the "pusher rod" for the Lee bullet sizing die is designed to fit in the top of the ram of a standard single stage press--it has the same profile as a regular shell holder. The Dillon does not accept regular shell holders. You could remove the Dillon shell plate and use the shell plate platform to push the bullet through the die using the pusher rod, but there would be nothing to hold onto the pusher rod to pull it back out of the die for the next bullet, and you would probably have to pull it back out manually or use a dowel to push it back out from the top--probably not very efficient. And it would not work very well unless the pusher rod is long enough to push each bullet complete through the die--otherwise you would have to push each bullet back down through the die or use pliers or something to grab the bottom of the pusher rod and pull it back out.

If you had access to a lathe you could make or alter the pusher rod so it had the shape of a cartridge case that would fit in the Dillon shell plate. That would probably work, but I don't know if a little cartridge-size rim on the pusher rod would hold up to extended use--it might, but I suspect it would weaken and fail over time, plus you would need a lathe to do it.

As several have suggested, your best bet is probably to find a single stage press to use for bullet sizing--you wouldn't need a very big or powerful one, and you might find it useful for other tasks as well.
    Thanks BP Dave, I have planned to get a higher end turret press to try and do some precision type loading, 220 swift, and whatever 6 - 6.5 size range rifle I eventually decide to buy next. But - I didn't plan to do it now

Boolit Grand Master

Lee makes the APP press specifically for this purpose.

Boolit Master
    No easy way to size bullets on the Dillon, it wasn’t meant for it.
    I bought the cheap Lee single stage when I started casting, about $30, only used it to size bullets and deprime rifle brass.

I just replaced it with an Lee APP with their nose down sizing kits, much nicer. And when I get a collator it will be even better.

You could possibly rig the punch under a suitable shell plate, maybe with spacers under the other stations.
    I am cheap and considered it, but decided to spend the $30 instead of possibly damaging my 550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    some times you just have to bite the bullet and get the right eqipment.This would be one of them times.I do not know how many differnt calibers of bullets you are going to cast but after you get a press to size bullets with the NOE sizer kit may be worth looking in to.The NOE kit is much better then buying more then 2 or 3 Lee sizers it is round and you can get any size bushing for i think 10 bucks or less.

Boolit Buddy
    Eric I am in PA today it will be home later tonight . Let’s work out a time and I will stop by . I should be able to modify that for you at home on my lathe. I’ll text when I am back home and wecccan work out a time for me to swing by if you would like

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by All Kinds View Post
    Thanks BP Dave, I have planned to get a higher end turret press to try and do some precision type loading, 220 swift, and whatever 6 - 6.5 size range rifle I eventually decide to buy next. But - I didn't plan to do it now
    For "precision" rifle reloading, get a nice single stage press, you can size the boolits on this and other duties. You have a progressive for handgun already. I only use single stage presses for my rifle cartiridges, have one Dillon, set up for 9mm, all my other handgun cartridges are loaded on a turret press.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by cstrickland View Post
    Eric I am in PA today it will be home later tonight . Let’s work out a time and I will stop by . I should be able to modify that for you at home on my lathe. I’ll text when I am back home and wecccan work out a time for me to swing by if you would like
    Sorry, was out of town too. I'll hit you up tomorrow.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Lee makes the APP press specifically for this purpose.
    Thanks for all your feedback, and several people have suggested the APP. I investigated the APP press and it does look slick. I like that it could do swaging primer pockets as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee now makes two different styles of sizers. They make the old style screw in die, and now they make a new style bushing. I sold all my old dies, and have replaced them all with Lee bushings. I doubt you would ever regret the NOE system, but at $40 for the body, and $10 for each bushing, it isn't quite as low as the Lee with a $12 body and $10 bushings (can be even cheaper on sale). The big factor is the Lee system requires their breech lock system. The APP has it, as well as just about all other Lee presses. If not, you can buy an $8 adapter that threads into most single stage presses which have 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" threads. The NOE system will thread into any press with 7/8" threads.

Boolit Bub
    SOLO™ Single Stage Press Conversion Kit converts your Dillon RL 550B, XL 650 or XL 750 press to a single stage press
    https://uniquetek.com/product/T1553

tho you could buy a APP press for the same money

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by m37 View Post
    SOLO Single Stage Press Conversion Kit converts your Dillon RL 550B, XL 650 or XL 750 press to a single stage press
    https://uniquetek.com/product/T1553

tho you could buy a APP press for the same money
    That is clever, but if it costs the same as app, might as well go that route thanks for the idea, I love seeing the people making accessories Dillon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast