MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 40 cz?

40 cz?

I was on GB the other day and I saw a sweet custom 1910 Winchester, 401 of course. I almost thought I needed it but passed. Then as I always do, I had to check and just see how easy it is anymore to aquire enough goods to load for the round. Well, as with some years ago, its not so easy. So then further on, whats all the dimensions? Well so has it a lot of cases are made from 7.62x39 and blown out.

So, what if on a sweet little platform like the CZ 527, you rebarreled a 7.62x39? But maybe use 10mm pills as theyre more available than the 401's .406 jacketed. Rounds could fit in the magazine, cast and jacketed are around? Am I missing a current round or wildcat that fits this bill? It maybe an ok deal for short range.

Of course deer season is close and on my brain lol. Thoughts?

The 9x39 is actually a 9.3x39, so it's close. I had thought about a 375 or 40 cal on the x39 case in a cz 527, or maybe use a carcano case to maximize length in the action. It would be fun, and the mags would be so cool with a fat, almost straight wall case in them.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

I kinda thought it be neat too. I guess either .400 slugs or .406 has a few options. .400 has more pistol pill options. But 9mm wouldnt be bad either.

I guess using a Russian magazine, the case done as a 401 Winchester, you gain roughly .200 in length for a bullet in the magazine over standard length 401. So, seating heavier, longer boolits in it will still fit. There are 260 grain (maybe some heavier) size pills in this diameter of .406
    Or, 180, 200, and whatever up or down in weight in .400 diameter are also an option.
    Last edited by Ajohns; 10-23-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Boolit Master

Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    You may want to re-barrel it to 9x39 (9.3x39) and stop there. Even in a bolt-action rifle, a bottle-necked case needs a certain amount (or angle?) of shoulder for headspacing, doesn't it? You may not have enough left if you exceed .366" bore diameter.
    The .35 Whelan, developed from the .30-06 case is a successful and well-known "wildcat". I think there's a Euro derivative, the 9.3x62, which was modestly successful. The .375" and .400" caliber variants were less successful, and I suspect that the reason(s) were similar to the difficulties you may encounter if you try to neck up beyond .366". JMHO
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    You may want to re-barrel it to 9x39 (9.3x39) and stop there. Even in a bolt-action rifle, a bottle-necked case needs a certain amount (or angle?) of shoulder for headspacing, doesn't it? You may not have enough left if you exceed .366" bore diameter.
    The .35 Whelan, developed from the .30-06 case is a successful and well-known "wildcat". I think there's a Euro derivative, the 9.3x62, which was modestly successful. The .375" and .400" caliber variants were less successful, and I suspect that the reason(s) were similar to the difficulties you may encounter if you try to neck up beyond .366". JMHO
    9x39 is easy and ammo is available. To go bigger does shrink the shoulder a bit, but several modern cartridges are effectively headspace off the case mouth ( think 350 legend and 450bm) so it isn't impossible to go for max bullet diameter, especially with the massive extractor a cz action has.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Im not sure you need any headspace game on a straight wall round. Yes, one with a shoulder needs enough to not be false headspace, but straight wall should be fine.

Anyway, I dream. Maybe dream enough I wont do this, but I think it would be fun.

[QUOTE=ulav8r;5015476]http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gp40-40...aw-blank-1-16/[/QUOTE

I had looked at this sometime ago. If you happen to read the comments on the reviews, someone has done two projects like this. One on the 30/40 Krag and one on the 35 Remington. The 35 out to 40 caliber would almost be the same as the Russian round but a bit longer.