RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: What bullet for heavy 308 subs in a savage 99?

Double post sorry

Howdy Fellas!

I am waiting on a tax stamp for a can and playing with my lathe. I have a beat up savage 99 that I got with a nice 1980s scope, beat up ugly wood, and a chamber that loves start loads of varget under 150gn sierra gamekings but ejects sticky with full power loads. It’s not even a cool 99 with the brass counter on it so while I really enjoy it there’s no great loss cutting it up.

In preparation for a can in the future I want to work up a subsonic handcast powdercoated load in 308.

I can slug it for diameter but what kind of weight and shape can a savage 99 stabilize at like 900-1000fps? I don’t even know what twist the barrel has. Any mold recommendations? I like MP SAECO LYMAN but right now I want to spend LEE money!

Thanks!

Radar
    Last edited by Radarsonwheels; 10-22-2020 at 09:11 PM.

220 grs. Would be where I would start in the ..308 and Trail Boss powder. The idea of a subsonic heavy .30 cal was played with by various special forces with unsatisfactory noise reduction. Remington did some special 700 308 1:7 R.O.T. -16.5” barrels to shoot 220 gr. SMK’s seated backward with T/B powder. I have one of those rifles it shoots 175 SMK’s @2300 FPS into little tiny group @ 500 m. My rifle became available after their project and the 300 Blackout was introduced .Remington put the barreled action in one of those crappy green and black stocks put in a box and I bought it . Accuracy is fantastic with heavy SMK’s and T/B powder, never played with cast. 308 is temperamental going between sonic and subsonic as the case is on the big side for consistent subsonic performance, warm day sonic cold day subsonic.The military tired of It and had the Blackout developed to SAMMI specs using the 300 Whisper criteria .
    The CVA single shot rifles in 300 BO are dandy rifles for subsonic .30 cal subsonic work.

Oops double posted. Sorry please chime in on the other

And Thanks Randy