Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more books

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I've never tried audio books.
    May have to try it one day.
    They don't hold my attention.
    I start day dreaming and the reader begins to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I'll read electronic books if that's my only option. I much prefer paper books though.

I have a copy of A.W.Greeleys travelers and explorers, and a copy of Tom Sawyer, second edition. Both came from a barn and are in bad condition, covers and bindings letting go, musty smell. But they are special to me. I'm halfway through the adventures of Tom Sawyer. In the front is the words, to Billy from Elwood, Christmas 1932. Throughout are greasy kid fingerprints and scribble. To me, it's spiritual.

Books are like a good mould or rifle, a trusted friend.

If you're on the move and don't like what's on the radio I can't stop reccomending Audible. Listening to books is a lovely way to get your fill of literature AND do things around the house. It's great!

Boolit Master

I currently have a Kindle Oasis and Kindle Unlimited. I read 10-15 books a month at a minimum.

Much of the stuff I read will never be printed. Military Sci-Fi and the like.

When my wife and I made the move a few years ago we donated over 2,000 books to the VA voluntary services. Having the Kindle is so much easier and takes up a lot less space.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I'll read electronic books if that's my only option. I much prefer paper books though.

I have a copy of A.W.Greeleys travelers and explorers, and a copy of Tom Sawyer, second edition. Both came from a barn and are in bad condition, covers and bindings letting go, musty smell. But they are special to me. I'm halfway through the adventures of Tom Sawyer. In the front is the words, to Billy from Elwood, Christmas 1932. Throughout are greasy kid fingerprints and scribble. To me, it's spiritual.

Books are like a good mould or rifle, a trusted friend.
    I love paper books, love to collect them, love to read them. I also love electronic books. I carry with me in my phone, 400+ gigabytes of books, music, photos, and movies everywhere I go. Yesterday, I bought a set of the Harvard Classics from Amazon for the Kindle. That is what they call the 5 foot shelf of books. Classic literature, used to be hundreds of dollars. Was $1.99, and SWMBO misheard it as $199. I have Britannica's version in paper. It is rather hard to carry around with you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    I love paper books, love to collect them, love to read them. I also love electronic books. I carry with me in my phone, 400+ gigabytes of books, music, photos, and movies everywhere I go. Yesterday, I bought a set of the Harvard Classics from Amazon for the Kindle. That is what they call the 5 foot shelf of books. Classic literature, used to be hundreds of dollars. Was $1.99, and SWMBO misheard it as $199. I have Britannica's version in paper. It is rather hard to carry around with you.
    Thanks for the tip. For some reason I never thought of classics on the Kindle. I'm kind of addicted to mysteries but sometimes need a change. Don't know if I will ever make it thru all 50(49?) but it will give me a wider choice of reading material.

BTW, I paid $2.99. Not sure I can afford it
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    Not really a fan of audio books while driving.
    Dangerous enough with all the texting going on by millennials.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Not really a fan of audio books while driving.
    Dangerous enough with all the texting going on by millennials.
    You keep taking jabs at millennials. Do you think that older folks don't do that sort of stuff too? I can ensure you that they most certainly do. Stupidity is not a generational issue, it's a universal one. The only difference between your generation and mine is that technology has made it easier for that stupidity to be showcased to the world.

As for the books, I own many. Mainly ones that cover history and technology. I'm not much of a novel reader, although an audio book with a GOOD reader can be great, and it certainly makes it easier to "read" when you have other things that need to be done.

Boolit Master
    I converted a spare bedroom into a library. It's a comfortable place to retreat to.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41889678_1561527893993918_1511110124846972928_n.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	270596
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I converted a spare bedroom into a library. It's a comfortable place to retreat to.
    We did the same except converted the unused living room into a dining room big enough for the whole family and I converted the empty small dining room into a reading room. Most of my reading is on the Kindle now. If I am reading physical books or magazines I keep them somewhere else when I am finished reading them.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    You keep taking jabs at millennials. Do you think that older folks don't do that sort of stuff too? I can ensure you that they most certainly do. Stupidity is not a generational issue, it's a universal one. The only difference between your generation and mine is that technology has made it easier for that stupidity to be showcased to the world.

As for the books, I own many. Mainly ones that cover history and technology. I'm not much of a novel reader, although an audio book with a GOOD reader can be great, and it certainly makes it easier to "read" when you have other things that need to be done.
    millennials, by their actions, make them such easy targets.
    But you are correct.
    Older people who want to be a millennial, are a much bigger problem.

Boolit Master

Go to Thriftbooks.com Great prices and all the books I have got are in great to new condition. Shipping is free to conus, can't say about Hawaii.

Go to Thriftbooks.com

Boolit Master

I work part time at a printing factory. I their newsletter about a year ago it said the total number of books printed in the US has stayed the same for the last 6-7 years. Since then the plant I'm at has added a brand new press, new binding equipment, etc to handle booking making overflow from one of the other plants. I was told this is the first brand new equipment in over a decade.

I think maybe there has always been and will be a core group of people who like reading a real book. I'm ok with reading a digital book if it is one that is something I'll only read once. But if I think it's important to know, I buy the real book.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    When our oldest son moved out I told LOML that I did not lose a son, I gained a reloading room! The reading room is where ever the TV is not on.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I am an old COB, (cranky old booger) and I prefer to have a book in my hand. I read continually. Wife had great intentions and bought me a Kindle electronic "what-ja-ma-call-it." To me, it sucks!

Remember back to the days when I waited for the new Herter's catalog, just so I could read up on all the "Model Perfect" items that were listed!

I carry my old beat-up leather-bound King James Bible to church,....look over and see some folks reading along with the preacher and scripture using electronic gizmo's and smart phones. Just don't work for me. My Bible is marked up, highlighted, underlined, and has notes stuffed into various pages. I like it that way.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I am an old COB, (cranky old booger) and I prefer to have a book in my hand. I read continually. Wife had great intentions and bought me a Kindle electronic "what-ja-ma-call-it." To me, it sucks!

Remember back to the days when I waited for the new Herter's catalog, just so I could read up on all the "Model Perfect" items that were listed!

I carry my old beat-up leather-bound King James Bible to church,....look over and see some folks reading along with the preacher and scripture using electronic gizmo's and smart phones. Just don't work for me. My Bible is marked up, highlighted, underlined, and has notes stuffed into various pages. I like it that way.
    +1! (But only 56...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Still like books, always come out of a used book shop with a few.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I use a Kindle for pleasure reading. I much prefer a Bible I can hold in my hands and turn pages. I know some would say that you can do that with a Kindle(or other electronic reader) but it isn't the same.

I must have at least 5 different translations of the bible. None of my translations are the modern interpretations. To me they are not translations, just someones opinion of how they want the Bible to to read. My latest acquisition is the New King James. I resisted for a long time but now I prefer it. I used a NIV for years because it was easier to read and not stumble over strange syntax, My King James Bible has pronunciation of proper names. I miss that in all the other translations.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    E books are a great thing to be able to download and read but in 50 years the real book buy today will still be able to be read. Pretty much a guarantee that the systems used in just a few years wont be readable in the future easily. Remember the floppy disk? or even the cd rom? Most new computers don't have a cd drive. There are more and more old reloading books that have been put to PDF. If they aren't too long and printer ink is cheap enough, I print it off, nice to have a paper copy on the shelf.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast