Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Load-13 grains Red Dot

Boolit Buddy

Question The Load-13 grains Red Dot

I have read the Article and several comments on "The Load", but before I load up a bunch of 30'06 or 30-40s, I was wondering if anyone uses it and how accurate it is at 100 yards. I have become a fan of Reloader 7 for 8mm and 30'06 and can almost always get 1 1/2" or better w/my Springfield and just about the same with a Turked Gew88. My Krag shoots that well with 4198.

I guess my question is: does "The Load" shoot as well or better?

Always looking for a better load, though. Our range requires one round at a time in the rifle and all shots from the bench. I guess that's one drawback of living in urban sprawl.

Bob

I have shot a couple of dozen rounds of the "Load" in my Remington 700 30,06. Using CCI 200's, AC WW's, and FWFL. Ten rounds grouped into 1 1/8" at 100 yards. Report is about like a 22 mag. You have to be real careful on your inspection with such a long bottle neck and just 13.0 grs of powder. I loaded each round complete before going to the next one. I used a Lyman 311041 bullet.

Boolit Master

I love it

I use 11, 12 or 13 grains red dot in my '06, 308 and 7.65. Not that order, but 11 to 13 is the range.

Dependable, consistant and fun to shoot.

NO filler required for me.

David

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter1

I guess my question is: does "The Load" shoot as well or better?

Bob
    There's only one way to find out as each rifle is unique. -JDL

Boolit Master
    I have used it for years in a number of rifles. 7.7 Jap, 30-06, 30-40, 8mm Mauser. I scoop it. The old Lee scoops had a 12.5gr scoop for Red Dot. The difference is not important. The newer ones have a 13.0gr scoop. I do not use a filler. The velocity is generally about 1,400-1,500fps. I am currently shooting it in a sporterized Krag with a 311413 bullet.

It is not a high power, high velocity load. It is not a target load. But it is a nice, mild, easy and quick to load, accurate enough when you are done type of cartridge. With slower powders, I always use filler, which is expensive, slow to load, and generally not much (if any) more accurate.

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Got a chance to try out "The Load" with cast and condom. I loaded the 173 GI Match condoms and the 170 Saeco cast gas-checks with CCI Match Primers and 13 grains of Red Dot. I then loaded the same components with 16 grains of 2400. I thought both shot really, really well in my 1903A1 with the original sights. I think, however, the accuracy edge goes to the 2400.

I have now loaded some other projectiles, both cast and condom, with the same loads and hope, in a few weeks, to get time off to try them out.

Bob

(I always found Match Primers to have more consistent accuracy in loads with condoms versus using Large Rifle Primers. Just kept on using them with cast. Am thinking of trying loads in cast with identical components but with LR primers vs. Match to see if there's a real difference. Bet a bunch of you have already done that and know the answer).

I always liked Red Dot for target loads in 12 ga shotgun. I've probably shot a hundred pounds of it over the years for trap and skeet.

Who'd a thunk it would work that well in a CB rifle? I guess I'm never too old to learn something.

Boolit Master

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook uses Red Dot as a regular load in its loads. Its a nice bulky powder. If you are a beginning reloader, its hard to mess up as 13 grains fills about half a case of 303Brit, 8mm, 308Win etc. If you double charge either you completely fill the case or it is visible on a quick glance at the neck of the case.

I had some incidents of gas cutting on some of my bullets when I didn't use gas checks or paper jackets on a full 13gr load. It is a fast powder so take it as you see it. With gas checks, she is a sweet load that my kids can shoot all day without breaking my bank account. I usually scoop the powder for plinking loads but I have weighed the powder before and have shoot some nice groups with it.

Bruce

Boolit Buddy

Works well in 8MM, shoots as well as factory in an unmodified FN 1930 vintage with mil sights. great for 100 or 200 yd plinkin.
    John

My shooting buddy robbed me of my first home cast kill with the "Load". Here I give him the bullets and the 13 grain data and he wacks a 4-point with it. A 115 yard shot. Entered the point of the shoulder on a slightly quartering forward angle. Grazed the heart and exited just off of the scapula. The buck ran 75 yards before pileing up. Used a 311041 cast from ACWW in an '03 4 groove. Surprisingly the wound channel was approx 3/4" diameter.

In Remebrance

USed "the Load" in 7x57, 308, 303 Brit, 7.65x53, 8x56R 35 Whelen with good resluts.

Boolit Buddy
    I am so glad you said you'd used it in 7X57. The articles I saw said thirty cal or above.
    I wanted to try it in 7mm, 6.5 Swedish and, especially, in 6.5 Jap which I cannot, for love nor money, get to shoot cast at all. Don't see why it wouldn't work, but does anyone think I should not use it in the 6.5s?

Bob

Boolit Bub

How about lightweight bullets?

I'm looking for a good plinking load for 130 grain gaschecked hardcast bullets in a .308 1916 Spanish Guardia Civil carbine and a 7.62X39, both bolt actions. Does the above load work with lightweight bullets?
    Jerry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter1
    I am so glad you said you'd used it in 7X57. The articles I saw said thirty cal or above.
    I wanted to try it in 7mm, 6.5 Swedish and, especially, in 6.5 Jap which I cannot, for love nor money, get to shoot cast at all. Don't see why it wouldn't work, but does anyone think I should not use it in the 6.5s?

Bob
    FWIW, Lyman 3rd says 12 grains of Red Dot gives 38,100 cup with 135 gr. cast and 11.5 grains gives 38,100 with 150 and 162 gr. cast in the 7x57. No pressure data for the 6.5 Swed but data tops at 9.5-10 grains. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info from Lyman's 3rd-think I'll be a bit more cautious.

Bob

Boolit Master
    I have used that 10-13gr. RedDot in the '06 with the 311413. It worked real good with 11 gr. but that bullet wouldn't shoot at all with 13 gr. It's good we don't have to rely on those funky bullets that the Colonel spent so much time with. I'll have to give it a try with the 311041 & our new 311407 "Mod".

In Remebrance

I wouldn't use it with cast in th 7x57 or smaller. I think the case capacity limit is supposed to be 35 Renm or LARGER. With jacketed you can use it in the 7x57 with up to maybe 140 gr. I'd figure around 11.0 gr for the smaller cartridges.

In Remebrance

Missed Woodys post. Do what he said. There amy be other powders better suited to the smaller cases, like maybe Unique or 2400. Check the Lyman book.

Boolit Master
    I have used it in several calibre's, including the .375 h+h. It gives 1250 fps in 375 h+h with a 270 cast lyman fp.

Boolit Master
    see what you guys have started.... i went to a gun show today...and bought a lb of red............
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast