Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: How much powder to squirrel away

How much powder to squirrel away

I found three colors of powder from various brands that reliably coat well under all of the conditions here in So. Flo. I shoot quite a bit for the average shooter, say 200/400 rounds a week and I like to have several thousand bullets and finished cartridges on hand.

The supplier I'm using has a finite amount of powder he bought in bulk and will not be able to replenish any of it. That said, I know this is a tough question to ask but I have two pounds of each color I like on hand and want to get more to hedge my bets that I do not run out in the foreseeable future. Question, if I keep my powder double bagged in ziplocks is there a "use by" or shelf life of powder? I'm thinking an additional two pounds of each color should get me by for a VERY long time?
    Last edited by gnappi; 10-22-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    Contact the manufacturer. I would likely vacuum pack the original package and call it good.
    Don Verna

Keep it in a cool place

Banned
    Moisture will kill PC. I double bag my PC in zip lok bags. The heavy duty freezer kind.

Boolit Master
    How much do you use in a season? Stock that much.

I'd work more at stockpiling lead and primers. Those are the two components that could become issues in the future. Powders will be around as long as people powder coat products.

Boolit Master

I've been thinking on this also. I bought 4 lbs from Eastwood about a year ago and still have probably 3 lb. I was ready to forget PC until I tried Eastwood. Amazing stuff.

Boolit Master
    I got into PC in 2012. I typically purchase powder in 5 pound quantities to get the best price. I store the powder in my garage freezer, set at zero temp, in glass or ceramic containers with a locking rubber seal that makes them airtight. I recently used up the last of one of my originally purchased powders and it worked just like new and like all my powders. So all I can tell you is my storage method will keep powder useable for 8 years that I know of.

Boolit Bub
    If your worried about your source drying up, and you really like the product, purchase all you can afford.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    How much do you use in a season? Stock that much.

I'd work more at stockpiling lead and primers. Those are the two components that could become issues in the future. Powders will be around as long as people powder coat products.
    Primers are already extinct around here and have been for 6 months or so, powder is "buy what is available" not what you're looking for. It's a sorry state of affairs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonerboy View Post
    Primers are already extinct around here and have been for 6 months or so, powder is "buy what is available" not what you're looking for. It's a sorry state of affairs.
    Agreed, it is a sorry state of affairs. I have been told the primer shortage is due to the ammo manufacturers using up all the components to fill the overwhelming demand for ammunition. This does make some sense, but typically these "never owned a gun before" purchasers would think a couple of boxes of ammo is more than enough because they are just going to buy the gun and ammo and not likely going to practice to learn how to use it. So, if this is the real reason supply should catch up eventually. If it is not the real reason can you think of a more effective gun control than to eliminate a component that is not easily made and all ammo must have to function?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    I found three colors of powder from various brands that reliably coat well under all of the conditions here in So. Flo. I shoot quite a bit for the average shooter, say 200/400 rounds a week and I like to have several thousand bullets and finished cartridges on hand.

The supplier I'm using has a finite amount of powder he bought in bulk and will not be able to replenish any of it. That said, I know this is a tough question to ask but I have two pounds of each color I like on hand and want to get more to hedge my bets that I do not run out in the foreseeable future. Question, if I keep my powder double bagged in ziplocks is there a "use by" or shelf life of powder? I'm thinking an additional two pounds of each color should get me by for a VERY long time?
    If stored reasonably correctly you should have no issues . I have powder I bought from smoke at least 4-5 years ago and it still works just fine. I have not taken any crazy precautions. I have it doubled bagged and I squeeze out the air after each use. I have left this in my non heated two car garage since I got it . Again that is over 4+ Ohio winters and summers, so temps from 0° or less to a shade over 100° with 90% humidity.