• Between 10,000 and 25,000

121 34.87%
  • Betweenn 25,000 and 50,000

42 12.10%
  • Over 50,000

42 12.10%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you a shooter?

I'm with the majority of "shooters" here; I shoot every day. I would be sick to my stomach if I shot more than I do now, which is too much already. I'd like to get down to less than 10,000; but it seems I am always load developing or whatnot; which adds up a lot quicker than you think.

Banned

well i dont really keep track but i know i went through 6 bricks of small pistol 4 bricks of large pistol and 7 bricks of small rifle primers last year. That doesnt include the large rifle ive used in bolt guns or the large pistol mags because i dont use that many of them anymore. so conservatively i loaded 17k just last year so id guess im in the over 50k range and 10 years ago i shot competition and probably loaded twice that. Ill just say this. I wore out two 45 acp dillion square deal sizer dies in my square deal set up for 45s. rebuilt it three times. That press burned about 8 years ago in a fire along with my other square deals in 38 9 and 40. Ive had to rebuild them all at least once. The 38 square deal was bought from my buddy and he had rebuilt it twice before i bought it and we figured just that press between the two of us had loaded so many rounds that i wouldnt even give you the number we came up with because most would call me a lier but the number started with an M. When i shot competitive i figured a 1000 rounds a month per gun and shot 3 different guns. Glad to see theres some other serious shooters here. Some that even have me beat. If i posted this on some fourms id be called a lier.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    As with others I don't shoot as much as I used to. Time was my son and I fit in that 10K to 25K PER YEAR category. However, every round I shoot these days is done so with probably 5 times the concentration as in years past. Interests have changed and forming/turning/fire forming brass for obsolete and obscure cartridges takes a while. Consequently I don't have...or need...500 cases for my 9.3 X 75R Nimrod or 9 X 71 Peterlongo or 10.5 X 47R or any of a dozen or more others. I've also learned a LOT more about handloading, ballistics and cartridge/bullet combinations on game than I ever did just cranking out 45 Colt or 32-20 cartridges by the hundreds. It's been every bit as much fun, more fun actually....and a lot more educational.

I'll have to agree with you. I spend much less time loading and shooting the regular run-of-the mill calibers, I find more and more of my time spent learning and experimenting with old obsolete calibers. Fire forming, load development, along with the excuse to pick up another firearm chambered in some long ago cartridge is just to alluring. I rationalize it by telling myself it's just another growing phase in my casting education.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I'll have to agree with you. I spend much less time loading and shooting the regular run-of-the mill calibers, I find more and more of my time spent learning and experimenting with old obsolete calibers. Fire forming, load development, along with the excuse to pick up another firearm chambered in some long ago cartridge is just to alluring. I rationalize it by telling myself it's just another growing phase in my casting education.
    Your post reminded my of a saying my mentor had, "Do you have twenty years of experience or one years of experience twenty times over".
    Don Verna

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Your post reminded my of a saying my mentor had, "Do you have twenty years of experience or one years of experience twenty times over".
    good many on the internet that fall into that second catagory. Amazing how gun savoy an internet search can make a guy!

Boolit Master
    Maybe the question should be how many HOURS do spend on the range, reloading cartridges/casting bullets, working on firearms vs 'on the web'. It takes longer to shoot 30 rounds thru a cap'n'ball pistol than running a hundred thru a high cap nine. Same with cowboy shooting, running a levergun at 20 yards is qite different than high power at 200, 300, 600 yards. Just walking back and forth to the 100 and 200 yard target is part of the time investment. Super high round counts at 7 yards, MEH.

Boolit Grand Master

Since retirement and due to covid, my week consists of shooting and refilling cases. I was lucky enough to have a decent stockpile of components but have to confess my primer supply is running low.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    I used to shoot a lot more than now. I stumbled over the Cast Boolits site, and now most of my time is spent casting and shooting test loads for various rifle and handgun calibers. Have been reloading for three decades various caliber handguns but have only recently begun serious shooting cast in rifles. I have to confess to being intrigued with cast in rifles.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Just walking back and forth to the 100 and 200 yard target is part of the time investment.
    Exactly why you will never see me with a rifle or posting in a rifle thread. 25 yards is Plenty! Maybe Steel at 100 or 300, as long as I don't have to walk.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I shot Saturday at ECSASS, my cas club near Manteo, NC, 120 rds of rifle and pistol and 24 rds of shotgun over 6 scenarios. Twelve shooters. We had a beautiful day and a good time. Did ok but need to work on my shotgun loading technique as I tried to shoot myself when I attempted to chamber a load backwards in my trusty old Marlin Model 24. Duh. Thinking that was the first time I’ve done that trick.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I've run into that question a few times.

I'd tell 'em, 'Not everything is like flying a airplane where the more you do it, the better you get'.
    Then I'd ask, 'Do ya think it took me 19 years to figure it out and then to do it right for 1 year,
    or 1 year to figure out how to get it right, then do that for 19 years'?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have slowed down this year, NOT my choice ! Stupid 'Rona!
    But, as an example, I moved into my current house 5 years ago, started dumping spent primers into a gallon milk jug ............. I need another jug.
    The little primer catcher thing on a Dillon 550 holds about 1000, I've dumped it twice some days.
    I really need a 1050; but I have more time to spend than money. Haha
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    2016 I was shooting 1,000 rounds a month and could keep most shots inside 4" at 25 yards offhand. The Soberanes fire got me and rebuilding took the next few years. I was just getting back to the range when the pandemic hit. I am just getting back to shooting again and I am Awful!

Elmer did most of my load development. I've tried 296, #9, 4756, 4759, TiteGroup, Unique, 231, N350, Clays, MP-300, and others and always come back to 2400. I only load 44 Mag and only like to post what I know first hand.

Other calibers? JAMOM
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I run about 5-7K per year, almost all cast handgun, though I’ve been doing the AR thing lately.

Boolit Master
    The question and choices infer that the measure of a shooter is how many rounds you pull the trigger on I know some folks that probably don't shoot 1k a year and are excellent marksman and shooters in my book . There is more to it than the no.of pounds of lead sent down range.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The question and choices infer that the measure of a shooter is how many rounds you pull the trigger on I know some folks that probably don't shoot 1k a year and are excellent marksman and shooters in my book . There is more to it than the no.of pounds of lead sent down range.
    yup some are born with natural abilitys. but there rare. Most of us have to sling lead and practice practice practice. Bottom line is even a pro football player goes to practice most days hes not playing. One other thing is "excellent marksman and shooters in my book" varys by the book. Ive met guys who consider themselves good shots because they havent missed a deer with there o6 out of a deer blind at 50 yards with a 9x scope. Bottom line is if you look at the BEST the ones that win completions. There not only naturals but ALSO sling lead. Id doubt you can show me one professional shooter on champion at any shooting sport that shoots less then a 1000 rounds a year. Now if your book is hitting beer cans at 15 yards with your 1911 or hitting a pie plate off hand at 75 yards with a rifle i will agree with you whole heartedly. Im not a natural. Its taken me 100s of thousands of rounds to get to being even a bit above average. If i dont shoot for a couple months i still find i have gotten a bit rusty. What ive found (and ive had the privilege to shoot with some of the best handgun shooters in the country) is that im the norm. Most naturals are legends in there own minds and the truth comes out when there standing on a line with 5 REALLY GOOD shooters. its a humbling experience. then you actually talk to them and find out NONE of them got that way shooting less then a 1000 rounds a year. Matter of fact few that shoot less then a 1000 rounds a month.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-19-2020 at 07:39 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    As bad as this year has been overall, not travelling for pleasure or to visit grandkids 6 states away, being stuck around the house has actually increased my shooting this year closer to what I used to do 30-35 yrs ago.

I live 300 yds from my work and 1/4 mile from a small private 25, 50, 100 yd range. June, July, & August I would take 15 - 20 mins after I got off and would run by range. I have a lot of components acquired over the last 40 plus years, so I decided to shoot up some of them. Pull into the range with 3 or 4 wheelguns already loaded (and maybe 1 reload), 2 rifles with 6 to 10 rds each, put up two 25 yd pistol targets and a 50 yd rifle target with 4 sight-in bullseyes, and go to it. Shot about 50-60 rds of rifle and 125-150 rds of revolver every week. All revolver offhand, all rifle either offhand or 1 sandbag and me standing at back corner of truck. Cleaned a lot of rust off my shooting skills and discovered that my arthritic hands don't care much for some of the 'Mastadon killer' loads I used to shoot in 44 mag and 45 colt.

I cast and load for 32 h&r mag, 38 spl, 357 mag, 44 spl, 44 mag, 45 acp, 45 colt, 30-30, 30-06, 7.65x53 belgian, 8mm mauser, 35 whelen, 444 marlin, 45-70. In the process of doing this I also used up all the odd piece of boxes of factory ammo and old reloads. Helped me to decide to sell a bunch of guns and/or calibers that I realized I didn't shoot.

I'm not a competitive shooter. Just love to tinker, experiment, load, shoot, and hunt. Took a 9 point buck at 50 yds with him trotting through the woods this fall. Shot was offhand and hurried. DRT, so summer practice couldn't have hurt.

Boolit Master
    usual shoot 50 centerfire rounds a week and 100 rf but this year we have had so many lock downs only shot half as often and not been able to get out over our land we have permission to shoot over.

Boolit Master
    I shoot 100 to 200 rounds twice a week cause I like to , but if I limit myself to 50 rounds a session my average group size is much smaller and I improve after about 50 I start to get impatient and lazy with trigger and sights and don't do as well I admire you guys that can maintain your concentration for hundreds of rounds a session

Boolit Mold
    A majority of my shooting is pistol for both IDPA and USPSA, also getting more involved in PRS rifle shooting, lots of reloading to enjoy the hobbies.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast