WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: SR 4756 loads

Boolit Bub

SR 4756 loads

I have come into a pound of SR 4756. I have found a few loads listed in an older Speer manual I have. It looks like this has been discontinued for a while now. I would rather use it for target shooting instead of throwing it away. Does anybody have loads for any of the following calibers
    9mm 40 S&W 41 mag 44 mag 38 special 357 mag

Boolit Master
    My gunsmith sez he used to use it back in the day for midrange 38 spl and match 45 acp loads. Looking at the old manuals it seems to be around between 231/HP38 and Unique or 630. I bought two lb when they announced it would be discontinued, and I've been checking it out in 38 spl, 32-20, 45AutoRim, 44 spl, etc. Don't throw it out, use it for light to medium cast boolit loads and get some use out of it. If you want, I'll transcribe some of the old data, but if you have NRA Handloading or one of the old Lyman books or DuPont brochures, they ought to give you an idea.
    Ed <><

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    I have come into a pound of SR 4756. I have found a few loads listed in an older Speer manual I have. It looks like this has been discontinued for a while now. I would rather use it for target shooting instead of throwing it away. Does anybody have loads for any of the following calibers
    9mm 40 S&W 41 mag 44 mag 38 special 357 mag
    go to

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
    and search found some loads on there with the SR4756

Boolit Bub
    I have recently acquired quite a few older.manuels I have not the chance to check out yet. Thanks the giving me a direction to start. I recently bought the contents of a retired gentleman reloading room. It contained a lot of powder, brass and dies for many calibers. Part.of it was 3 boxes of loading manuals.

Boolit Master
    Sr4756 and sr7625 are my go to powders for 38 special! Plenty of data in the Lyman Cast Boolets handbook both third and fourth edition. 9, 38 special, 357 mag, 44 mag. That’s for Cast Boolets I didn’t even bother to look for jacketed in a regular Lyman manuals. Don’t know what weight or type of bullets you plan on shooting. Certainly too much data to list individual loads here. I suggest you look in and if you don’t have one pick up those manuals I mentioned.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Been using it in shotgun and pistol for years. My books always showed it a little slower than Unique. Makes a good mid-range load in 44 mag, especially if you have hard cast commercial boolits that need a little more pressure, but you don't want a lot more velocity.

I have an old 8# jug I bought unopened. The Hodgdon site has lots of uses. I've loaded 38, 40 and 45 with it. Works fine.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Bub
    I use it for light loads in the 44mag.

Hodgdon data site has loads for all the cartridges you mentioned except for 41 mag.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the information. I forgot out the Hodgen tables online.

Moderator Emeritus

I bought vintage can at a gunshow many years ago. I worked up load in 45 acp (200gr SWC)...it worked out well and now have burnt it all up... now I wish I could find some more.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite powder for midrange 45 colt, 500 Linebaugh, 500 S&W and 44mag. Ive had some excellent chronograph results with this powder in the bigger cases with cast bullets. I snatched up a bunch of SR4576 powder as it was being discontinued. It was one of the powders that people ignored and was still on the shelf during the Obama panic years.

I got lucky a few years ago during the early portion of the last shortage. I was at a gun show looking for pistol powder, any pistol powder, when I found six cans of this powder on the table. The seller thought it was some weird kind of rifle powder and had it marked down cheap to get rid on it.
    After he bagged it up for me and I paid for it, he asked me what I was going to use it for.
    When I told him it was a good pistol powder his jaw hit the floor. He said if he had known that it would have cost a lot more. He was kind of upset with me about it.

Boolit Man
    Slightly slower than unique. A great powder for 20 gauge 7/8 skeet loads. Also great for medium loads in 9mm, 357, 44 mag. Just avoid loading data before the 1990s, as some of it is very hot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I got lucky a few years ago during the early portion of the last shortage. I was at a gun show looking for pistol powder, any pistol powder, when I found six cans of this powder on the table. The seller thought it was some weird kind of rifle powder and had it marked down cheap to get rid on it.
    After he bagged it up for me and I paid for it, he asked me what I was going to use it for.
    When I told him it was a good pistol powder his jaw hit the floor. He said if he had known that it would have cost a lot more. He was kind of upset with me about it.
    I'll bet that gave you a good feeling.....
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    ...was my GoTo powder powder for making Specials into Magnums... Also one of the best powders for .38 Super...

Up till the late 1970s the buring rate was about like Blue Dot...for whatever reson they changed it to just a little slower than Unique... It made a difference in top end loads...had to back off 1-2 grains over the origial can of powder...

Sad it is gone....Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up an 8# jug just before it was discontinued . I haven't opened it yet . Bob , wish we were closer , I would go gladly share 1/2 with you . Regards Paul

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the kind thought...I still have a couple of pounds left. Was just shooting some 220 grain Speer JSWC-SP bullets with 13.0 grains yesterday...nice load. Too bad both the bullet and powder are discontinued...