RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: MYPIN PID Temperature Controller Johnny's reloading bench

Boolit Bub

MYPIN PID Temperature Controller Johnny's reloading bench

Has anyone built a MYPIN PID temperature controller using the instructions on the youtube video on Johnny's reloading bench? Are the instructions accurate?

Boolit Bub
    I used the info from his video to build mine a couple of years ago. I have basic electrical skills, I don't remember it being too bad. I think he posted a wiring schematic too. If you can follow that, you should be OK. I'm sure people here will help too. I bought parts to build a second one if I ever get around to it.

I believe someone on here sells them too, if you decide not to build one.
    Last edited by psychodad; 10-21-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy

MYPIN PID Temperature Controller Johnny's reloading bench

I did ... my parts below. I had a fuse, (only used one 10A fuse for main power), switch, and misc stuff. I just used wire nuts vs a block. I also hard wired the thermocouple vs a plug as I only have one pot.

Box- BUD Industries CU-3008-A Aluminum Electronics Minibox, 7" Length x 5" Width x 3" Height, Natural Finish,Smooth Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T7T0Y6..._n3a4EbS0CBP4F

Inkbird Solid State Relay 40DA DC SSR Black Heat Sink for PID Thermostat Temperature Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCWO35P..._a4a4EbP2V29WE

F/C PID Temperature Controller, AGPtEK Dual Display Digital Programmable Temperature Control TA4-SSR Solid State Relay with 2 Alarms https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NGL4KG..._w4a4Eb15DVSPV

K Type Thermistor Temperature Sensor Probe Temperature Controller,100mm / 4" Long Probe Thermocouple Probe Diameter : 5mm / 0.2"MT-205-100mm5x100x2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079BQQJKN..._V4a4EbRXN445W

When built mine I just used the info from here. Used the diagrams and it came out great. I did hard wire the temp probe. I only run one pot.
    I pull out the probe when done casting so I can wind it all up inside my the old cash box I mounted the PID parts into.
    I don't have a large area for doing my casting stuff in. Being able to move it ouit of the way to do other things is needed.
    Leo

I build mine using info I found on this forum, funny thing someone posted a link on Amazon in description of PID controller.

I didn't use a fuse, I sourced my parts cheap from eBay and Amazon. I have the long TC probe attached with a bracket to Lee pot, its hardwired but I wish I had a plug version. I made enclosure from plywood.

I didn't mess with TC connectors because it was reading temperature very accuratly compared to Johnys, I've read somewhere that once you start messing with probe wires it can lead to inaccurate reading.

I had it for about 5 - 6 years now, the only thing I have to replace was thermocouple probe once, it helps to have analog thermometer as a backup. NOE sells a nice one.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Using wood for the enclosure seems like a good idea. Sure would make it easier to cut holes in the box. Any reason why most people use a steel or aluminum box?

Boolit Master
    Heat sink, in other words to get rid of heat wood would tend to insulate. But you could use small fan to do that also.

Boolit Master

Does anyone have a link to the wiring diagram for this PID?
    I am using the same MyPin controller and not exactly sure where all of the wires go!
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 05-31-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I used a plastic field ammo box for mine, cost like $5 and the cutouts cut like butter with a utility knife. PID and K-type plug in the front; power switch, breaker, and plug wires come out the back. SSR mounted on heat sink screwed to the bottom in the middle of the box. Runs my 4-20 pot and PC oven just fine, no cooling or heating issues.

my controller was diferent brand and I had to reverse 2 wires but forgot which ones lota help huh.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the wiring diagram for this PIR?
    I am using the same MyPin controller and not exactly sure where all of the wires go!
    send me a PM with the model # of the unit you have and I can write a quick step by step for you.

CHARLES
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    my controller was diferent brand and I had to reverse 2 wires but forgot which ones lota help huh.
    Would have been the thermocouple or SSR, the rest should be AC.

With a little electrical ability, wiring them is pretty easy, the hardest part is programming them if they don't have an auto tune function. I have no idea what all the little settings do, so i just auto tune mine....

Boolit Master

Finally got mine working!
    Wires for SSR in wrong location and thermocouple was wrong polarity!
    Now to make some boolits!