Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Bullet oddities

Boolit Master

Bullet oddities

So, I was lead scrounging the range last night with my son. We scarfed up about 32# of bullets in a half hour.
    In cleaning the dirt off today, I picked out some interesting examples of bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201021_161142256.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	269882

Several were powder coated or painted. There are some in my reloading circle who constantly harp about how I'd going to lead up barrels shooting boolits... SMDH... The powder coated bullets here show how the powder coating stayed in place while conforming to the rifling and as well as on the base where burning powder contacted the boolit. Proof positive IMHO.

On the right, a little out of focus is a copper bullet of some sort. You can't tell from the picture, but it has rifling marks on its circumference.

Then there is a real oddball. Well at least for me. It is an opaque glass ball in the middle of a slug. I've never seen such a thing before.

It was really neat digging through the bullets and even occasionally finding ones that could be loaded and sent down range again.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

That's a "Tru-Ball" slug by Federal.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    Neat stuff you found. As to the PC bullets, I plan to acquire no-lube, no GC designs when I get set up to cast my own. Maybe a boat tail mold for my .35 Remington, .303 Enfield and 30-30 rifles. I’ve seen them at Accurate’s website. Also should work real well for the magnum handgun calibers pushed to moderately high velocities. I’ve got rifles in those calibers, too.
    Oh, yeah, can’t wait to get after it!
    R/Griff

I wonder if some sort of crimp method leave what would look like a rifling mark going around a boolit's circumference?
    Or maybe it was made that way.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    That's a "Tru-Ball" slug by Federal.
    Yup, plastic ball in the base to keep the wad from wedging in it an also greatly helps the bullet not deform on penetration.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I wonder if some sort of crimp method leave what would look like a rifling mark going around a boolit's circumference?
    Or maybe it was made that way.
    What I meant was that the rifling was all the way around the copper bullet. My wife's step dad saw it and said that it was not a bullet but I pointed out the rifling all the way around it.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    When I started mining berms several years ago I was amazed at the variety in quality of plated bullets at the time. Of course I have no way of knowing how old they were, but I was unable to easily break the plated jacket of some of them by putting them on a piece of rail and hitting them with a hammer. I ended up cutting some of them with a chisel to cut a crack in the jacket. OTOH, the rifling had cut grooves in some of the jackets deep enough that the lead was exposed. Some brands were definitely tougher than others. Some had been struck by other bullets and not cracked the plated jacket.