Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Sharps Carbine, I'm wanting one!

Boolit Man

Sharps Carbine, I'm wanting one!

I've been scouring the web for a week or so, I'm really wanting a carbine in 45-70 or 50-70, I sold my Taylors Sharps rifle so got a little stuck back for one. I'm wanting a shooter, not a wall hanger, and most of the converted 63s are out of my price range, I've found a Chiappa that isn't priced to bad but just don't know much about that brand or how reliable they are. I've seen a couple of early Shilohs that I'd really like to get one of but a little short on the funds to grab one. I've found an original, not converted 63 that I do have the money for right now that looks to be in really good shape but was really wanting a cartridge converted one. I guess I'll see how much I can rake together between now and 14 November and go see if I can find one at the Wanenmacher's gun show in Tulsa.
    Chris W.

Boolit Master

Patience grasshopper, they are out there many years ago I bought a nice original 50-70 cartridge conversion carbine from the Kittery Trading Post for $400. Those days are gone. But good deals still come along.
    Last edited by ndnchf; 10-21-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Boolit Man
    Oh I have patience so I guess I'll just see what I can find at the Big gun show in a few weeks.

Boolit Master
    Kittery Trading post has a Cimmaron 1874 in 50/70 for $995

Boolit Master
    I have the Chiappa Sharps carbine in .50-70 and it's a lot of fun, plan to take it out after whitetails pretty soon.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Man
    David, I've not seen any Chiappa's first hand, since you have one are you happy with it, any issues with them? They look really nice in the pics. My first sharps was an IAB I'd picked up fairly cheap and was never impressed with it, then I got a Taylors made by Armani, the Taylor was really nice and a good shooting rifle, I sold it when I got my Shiloh so I could get the money to get me a carbine. Isn't Chiappa and Armani the same companies or made by the same?
    Chris

Boolit Master
    I had an IAB Sharps once, I was really disappointed with it, didn't like it at all, had a lot of issues with it. My local gun shop has an IAB, and it looks very cheaply made compared to the Chiappa. I really like my gun, I was worried when I first got it because of the issues with IAB, but it's not even in the same league, the Chiappa is much nicer, it shoots very well and it looks like a million bucks.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the Chiappa. I've had one for 3 years now, accurate and handy. Won a couple of vintage rifle steel plate combat matchs with it. No problems at all. Starline brass, 65 grains 2f OE, Lee 515-450 bullet. There's a nice thread on these a little further down the page.

However, if you can swing it: https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/881720241

Boolit Buddy
    One more vote for the Chiappa.

I’ve had mine for several years, it’s chambered for 50/70 and is quite a good shooter.

100 yards a offhand.

Boolit Buddy

I had a Garrett cavalry Sharps, in 50-70. At the time it was a big investment for me, and before I could get dies, brass, etc. bought I had some unexpected medical bills and had to sell it. Sure was a nice gun, and I haven’t seen another one since.

Boolit Man
    Thanks, I've been watching gunbroker and I had seen that one its on my watchlist, there was another in 45/70 but someone hit the buy now on it, there is also an IAB carbine just showed up, its an older one and I'm not willing to take a chance on it, plus they have some ugly looking hammers. There was a Garrett on there awhile back but it got snatched up quick to. I'll keep looking.

Boolit Master
    https://bigboysgunsandammo.com/
    They have one here you could call and get the details of the brand and price I know it's been in stock a while.

Boolit Man
    Is this how the Chiappas are marked on top of the barrel?? Saw this one for sale and it looks like it was done freehand with a center punch if you magnify the pic you can see the individual little marks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63sharps.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	271054
    Last edited by mongo40; 11-09-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Boolit Man
    Onelight, I haven't stopped in there in forever, and of course they don't keep their online store updated at all, as in nothing showing up. I guess I need to go check it out. I plan on going to the Wannamacher in Tulsa this weekend and hopefully find one there that isn't crazy priced.

I called them and its an IAB with 28" octagon barrel, so I'll pass on that, definitly don't want an IAB. thanks for the heads up though.
    Last edited by mongo40; 11-09-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Boolit Master

That marking looks cheesy. Keep looking.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo40 View Post
    Onelight, I haven't stopped in there in forever, and of course they don't keep their online store updated at all, as in nothing showing up. I guess I need to go check it out. I plan on going to the Wannamacher in Tulsa this weekend and hopefully find one there that isn't crazy priced.

I called them and its an IAB with 28" octagon barrel, so I'll pass on that, definitly don't want an IAB. thanks for the heads up though.
    IAB may be why they have had it so long .
    Good luck on your search.