RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 44Mag Bullet Fit

Boolit Master
    66 years old now and been casting since I was 9 years old. Guess I was addicted and didn't know it, just thought it was a way of life.

Boolit Master
    The stars were aligned good with this Larsen.

I made a tad harder alloy than usual, 16 BHN about, ended up with .433" bullets and a snug fit like this:

They won't push through by hand. They all stop at the same place.

Lots of sizing / coating options for my .4325 throats.

Getting the throats equal and right to the bore make life so much better. This is my first reamed 44.
    I have a 500 with s great fitting 420 LBT, all by luck,it's never leaded with any alloy or coating. But if your brass is just a tad long it won't chamber.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    Doug Guy I received my Lee Collet Die yesterday and made up a dummy round with the #503 Keith at .432 and as you said it crimped the rear half of the front band down to .427. I tried to send an email to you but for some reason I have the worst luck on sending emails from this site to some folks but can usually receive them O.K.. Since you already have done this modification I would like to send my die you and have it done, I just need the particulars on sending it to you. Thanks, Don.
    I never have mine size down the bullet, so it can be done without modification. You simply can't use such a deep crimp. Back the die off 1/8 turn, and it will likely be ok. If you do want to use that tight of a crimp, then by all means, modify your collet.

The method to remove the colllet that Dougguy describes works. I find a much easier way is to thread the die upside down in a single stage press. I find a bolt or pin that just barely fits in the top of the die. I think I last used the head of an allen bolt, possibly ground to fit. I then use the ram of the press to push that punch into the die, and push the collet out the bottom. There is nothing but the spring tension of the collet holding it in the die, and they push out rather easily if using a press.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I never have mine size down the bullet, so it can be done without modification. You simply can't use such a deep crimp. Back the die off 1/8 turn, and it will likely be ok. If you do want to use that tight of a crimp, then by all means, modify your collet.

The method to remove the colllet that Dougguy describes works. I find a much easier way is to thread the die upside down in a single stage press. I find a bolt or pin that just barely fits in the top of the die. I think I last used the head of an allen bolt, possibly ground to fit. I then use the ram of the press to push that punch into the die, and push the collet out the bottom. There is nothing but the spring tension of the collet holding it in the die, and they push out rather easily if using a press.
    Thanks for the info and have made arrangements with Doug already to modify my die but will keep your suggestions in my microchip like brain. When I pressed against the collet piece it felt like it hit something solid so didn't want to push it with what I had to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    The stars were aligned good with this Larsen.

I made a tad harder alloy than usual, 16 BHN about, ended up with .433" bullets and a snug fit like this:

They won't push through by hand. They all stop at the same place.

Lots of sizing / coating options for my .4325 throats.

Getting the throats equal and right to the bore make life so much better. This is my first reamed 44.
    I have a 500 with s great fitting 420 LBT, all by luck,it's never leaded with any alloy or coating. But if your brass is just a tad long it won't chamber.
    Very nice! Looking forward to getting home to try out my Larsen.

Boolit Master
    I made a box of coated Larsens, mild loads without GC.

I did not size the .433" bullets,neither loaded to the max OAL yet, used the crimp groove and Lyman taper crimp which suits this small tiny groove very well,without squeezing the bullet. My Redding crimper can't handle a .433" bullet,scrapes and squeezes...

I also sized less than before,I let the Lyman crimper do the final sizing. Less back and forth work for the case mouth area this way, expander works less when you size less. No idea if it really matters but it feels good.

No leading at all. Smoke's excellent Carolina Blue.

Boolit Master
    OK, you guys broke me down and ordered the Larsen in 4 cavity brass about 30 minutes ago. Just checked the mailbox, not here yet.

Nice !! You’re going to be impressed by it.

Boolit Master
    It looks like a winner and at 250 grains will be great all round bullet in my magnums and specials around the estate.

Boolit Master
    OK, you guys broke me down and ordered the Larsen in 4 cavity brass about 30 minutes ago. Just checked the mailbox, not here yet.
    Good for you! Without a group buy some designs will never run again. This is a good one!

It looks like a winner and at 250 grains will be great all round bullet in my magnums and specials around the estate.
    I think an estate might require at least 2 bullets even a lower case estate.

Is there an archive of MP designs somewhere?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Just received my order from Miha for the 250 grain Larsen .44 mold. Ordered it on Dec. 21st and got here today the 24th, three days. From Slovenia, incredible.

Yep.....mine took 3 days as well. If you think that’s incredible (I do as well) let us know your thought when you cast with it.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I have MP molds for my two John Ross 5" .500's. The cavities are so beautifully machined you almost hate to pour lead in them but SOMEONE has to do the dirty work.

Boolit Master
    Do you people nose size for the extreme fit?

I noticed that some PC colours coat so thick that Larsens nose grows too large for my "new" Redhawk.

Smoke's Carolina Blue is just about a perfect fit,some non-TGIC -paints are too thick. Hi Tek is always thin and predictable.

I'm just about to order a PB Larsen... my 629 shoots a PC:d GC version just fine (for plinkers) without GC but Redhawk doesn't like that base shank at all.

These PB bullets are better.

Nice place You got there Petander. You can shoot 25.12 without problem. I wish I lived some place like that. Snow and all

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
    You can shoot 25.12 without problem.
    Make that 26 as well. Yep I live in Nowhere.

Gotta stay alert,the enemy often attacks on holidays.

Mihec 432-640 here,hitting that 75 meter bullet trap all the time when I do my part. Not a snug fit at all but it works...

Thank you for the Redhawk,nice Santa!

Boolit Master
    Just finished my first cast with the Larsen. At 14 Bhn alloy it weighs 250 grains and .433 diameter. Perfect. Will try out next week hopefully.

Boolit Buddy
    After reading this info on the cramer 250 I felt that I needed one. So I just ordered one...they have 3 remaining.

Boolit Master
    I noticed the Gas Check 4c is sold out.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I believe this thread and Mr. Petanders pics contributed to that...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast