Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reloading primers with toy caps - results

I've been scrubbing the barrel with hot water, and using brake cleaner to flush out the other innards.... I guess I'm lazy.... I use an old cheap 9mm Star for most of my testing, and I don't worry about keeping it in "pristine" condition.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    Still would like to know if the priming compound made for reloading 22LR cases by 22lrreloader.com is corrosive or non corrosive. Kinda wanted to try this out with that stuff if it is non corrosive.
    It's corrosive....not maybe as bad as toy caps or match heads but it is corrosive.

Banned
    More good stuff for you fellas:
    http://www.aardvarkreloading.com/primers.html

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    I would like to explore making new primers. If someone would manufacture just the cups, I'd buy some for experimentation.

I know brass is harder than gildng metal, but a guy like Larry Blackmon has been making Gator Checks. How far off are we to having someone make and sell primer cups?
    Another project that I have not gotten around to is making the drawing dies for making primer cups. I know someone in a restricted country that has made that process AND the punch dies for making anvils. That's all you will find out here. BUT I also have made hydraulic Berdan depriming sets. Berdan primers are JUST A CUP...the anvil is in the case. Fellas SAVE your BERDAN cases....it's relatively easy to load/reload the primers .Edit: One of the difficulties in making cups (especially Berdan) is that the metal used is very carefully dialed in for the application. You have to start with the exact thickness of copper AND as most know copper has lot's of different hardness capabilities. Too soft and they will blow out etc.

Boolit Master

Watching the video now - downloaded it and thank you. You have my word it won't be shared.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Traffer, thanks for the video, that's a nice technique for separating the "dots" from the paper. It looked like the roll was in the water approximately 30 seconds before you pulled it out again.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    Traffer, thanks for the video, that's a nice technique for separating the "dots" from the paper. It looked like the roll was in the water approximately 30 seconds before you pulled it out again.
    Yes, I forgot to say but you probably realized that you have to do it right away before it dries out..Or you have to re-wet it so the clumps come off correctly. I could have soaked that one about 10 to 15 seconds longer.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Traffer.

Banned
    I have a compilation of accidents in history that happened with armstrong mix. It is by far the most dangerous thing you will have in your house. You MUST not put more than about 15 rounds worth in a container. I don't even put 10.
    As I recall one incident was in London in the 1800's where it blew a building up. Unbelievable explosion. I will see if I can find that. It would be good to warn all the noobs playing with the stuff. I couldn't find the compilation so I looked on the net and found this, Not as many examples of accidents but a good article:
    https://yarchive.net/explosives/armstrongs_mixture.html
    Last edited by Traffer; 01-01-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Well, "hold my beer" as they say. Ordered some caps from Cabela's, should be here in 5-8 days. 1200 caps, in two rolls of 600, for $2.99 per package. We'll just see now!
    I had a hard time finding caps online yesterday but I finally found some. Today I checked Cabela's after seeing your post. 2400 caps for $5.98 + $5.00 shipping + $7.84 tax? Yeah, the tax is high because Cabela's added $84.00 in special handling charge. Their price this morning is $102.82 shipped for two packages of 1200 roll caps. I thought the $19.98 shipped I paid yesterday was high...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PAndy View Post
    I thought my brother invented the whole-roll-hammer method. Apparently not! It would wake up the neighbors.
    When I was a kid we used to do the whole roll thing. One kid who wanted to join in the fun (8 yrs old?) got a box of 22 shorts out of his dads stash and was on the porch hitting them with a hammer. I will never forget. I guess the kids around here were just a little crazy.

Boolit Buddy
    Apologies if this has been posted previously.

Awesome test with surprising results...I need to try this, I also see a toy cap shortage coming..LOL
    Oh bother said pooh, as he chambered another round.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Apologies if this has been posted previously.

Is this stuff corrosive as well?

Boolit Master

Good report. Thanx for the chrono data...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    I had a hard time finding caps online yesterday but I finally found some. Today I checked Cabela's after seeing your post. 2400 caps for $5.98 + $5.00 shipping + $7.84 tax? Yeah, the tax is high because Cabela's added $84.00 in special handling charge. Their price this morning is $102.82 shipped for two packages of 1200 roll caps. I thought the $19.98 shipped I paid yesterday was high...
    I picked mine up in the store, and it was free of any hazmat fees. You might want to call their customer service number and ask them what they're smoking.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    Per Traffer's post #82, yes. So far as I understand it, you need you use water (hot water was traditional for black powder guns, IIRC) as part of your gun cleaning process. Wash out the salts that form, before drying and oiling.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    Yes. See my post for ongoing experiments with this product: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sting-Results)
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned
    OK, I am reposting the veejo on removing toy roll caps for BEST toy cap repriming of primers and Rim Fire cartridges:
    Last edited by Traffer; 02-05-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast